Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lyrill

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by lyrill » 14 Jul 2023, 12:25

schmitty727 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 01:24
I've been a lurker for years now and I've finally made an account to talk about how great I think this monitor is, but it's not for everyone out of the box. My account is new, but for context my old monitors have been the BenQ Xl2411Z (1080p 144hz), Acer XB271HU (1440p 165hz), and Acer XF252Q (1080p 240hz). I recently acquired a factory recertified version of this monitor for $175 total and it has been wonderfully a game changer. Jumping from 144hz to 240hz was alright, but 390hz feels really close like experiencing 144 for the first time again.

I understand there are some concerns with this monitor's input lag versus some 240hz monitors and TN panels and I want to clear up some confusion. As a semi-pro rhythm game player, I can say with certainty that this is the smoothest and fastest feeling monitor on the market with the right settings. In order to achieve the lowest input lag on this monitor, the settings I found are:
Overdrive: Extreme
Everything else: Off
Contrast: 10-30

The contrast setting is important because this monitor's fastest speeds are achieved from GtG, so by lowering the contrast, you're effectively lowering the pixel response times because the next pixel it has to display isn't as super bright or drastic of a change. I find that lowering the contrast helps that extra 1-2% but in all honesty, I think you could have it up to 40-50 if you like things a bit brighter without compromising lag. Set the contrast to 100 and you will definitely find that there is a bit more input lag. The brightness can then be set to whatever you want.

Black frame insertion (TVR/VRB) does yield a tiny bit more input lag, but the motion clarity is so crisp that for games like CS:GO, you don't really notice that extra maybe 2ms of delay; especially if you're already pushing past 400fps. It also does not make the screen that much darker. In fact, I think it's the brightest strobing I've seen in a monitor yet. With my current settings, Extreme is slightly brighter and Normal is almost way too bright for at night. I also like enabling VRR when I can't push up to 390fps because the input lag remains more or less the same, but I get no screen tearing. For games where I am super serious like osu! and consistently push 1000+ frames, I use the settings above to get the lowest latency.

As for color settings, accuracy out of the box is really nice and I personally have my settings as R-44, G-47, B-50, but keep in mind each monitor is slightly different. I only have these settings because it matches best with my other monitors next to it. I also really like the ACM option. It's a bit of a gimmicky feature (Acer advertises it as a perceived 100,000,000:1 contrast ratio) that I don't really use for competitive games, but for some content it makes the monitor feel more vibrant and makes blacks look darker by making everything else brighter. That being said, the overall black levels of this monitor are really poor, especially with Max Brightness set to On, dark scenes look gray. I only turn it on for games that are too dark or during the day when there's a lot of light in my room, but otherwise I set my brightness slider to 1 and then boost the contrast beyond 50 for deeper looking black levels. Yes this increases input lag ever so slightly, but content looks better. This is best for more casual games or watching videos.

In conclusion though, I enjoy using all of the features of this monitor except for the half-assed HDR; you can only enable 10-bit [well 8-bit + frc] at 300hz and there's no local dimming. You can get better results by tuning the SDR to your own liking imo. It took me a bit to figure out the different settings I like for different content I'm consuming, but the monitor allows me to have saved presets and hotkeys so it's not really a hassle to switch between settings. In summary, with this monitor I can have a low contrast and low latency mode for competitive gaming and a high contrast and high brightness mode for entertainment.
it has been trumped by others simply by merit of "newer gen panels"

VRB lag is less of an issue than flicker strain. more important to find the right game that pushes into 2x the fps than hz tbo. games used to easily run at 200+ fps 10+ years ago with old hardware. there were only 120hz.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 28 Jul 2023, 00:39

Guys, I bought Acer 390hz currently. I have flicker problem at 390hz. At first it was working fine, but a few minutes later it started. Is this a problem with my drive or a problem that can happen with any drive? I tried most of the solutions in the thread, but the only one that really seems to have worked is: I went back to 360hz by disabling OC in the OSD, I created a custom resolution in the NVIDIA panel, I set it to 390hz, I set the timing to "Manual" and that's it, no I changed none of the timings that NVCP gave me, and then the flicker stopped. Has anyone used it like this? Do you know if that way would work "worse" than the original way of the monitor without custom resolution at 390hz? Can this change anything regarding inpug lag or response time?

A second very lay question, how do I know if the VBR is working correctly? If I point my phone's camera, should I see it blink?

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 28 Jul 2023, 06:35

3 year warranty

For RMAs Call: 1 866 695 2237

Have you SNID number ready. On back of Panel

Got mine back from it's second RMA No enthusiasm to open it and try it, yet. I know it's going to flicker again. Anticipating that I'm going to be eating the cost of a un-fixable issue. Worst part, is the shipping company didn't even notify me it was delivered: by knocking on the door, email delivery notification, no text notification of delivery, and it rained like hell the day it was delivered, SMH - the bad fucking luck with this POS

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 28 Jul 2023, 10:44

The only problem is that I got the second hand monitor and they don't sell this model new in my country anymore. The tip of creating custom resolution and leaving the timing on "manual" in NVCP seems to have solved it. Should I be concerned? Will I have the same performance? If I had the same performance I would have nothing to worry about.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 28 Jul 2023, 20:04

What I did was go into the custom resolutions and see what timings they were giving me on automatic with the monitor's default OC settings. Then I went back to 360hz by turning off the OC in the OSD, I created a custom resolution of 390hz with the same timings and polarity settings and I tested it and everything worked, after that I left the OC on the monitor on. The monitor didn't blink even once, no ficker so far. I'll leave the print of how the custom resolution turned out. This print is of the timings I got through "390hz native monitor". Then I created a custom one with manual times and put the same settings.Could I be missing something by this regarding the "overclocked native" 390hz of the monitor itself? Is there any way to improve further? Thanks
Attachments
Sem título.jpg
Sem título.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 5560 times

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 29 Jul 2023, 08:04

Seen my first 2 flickers with this second RMA, lol

lol acer is full of shit.. there is no way they did anything to it with the 2nd RMA repair.. it came back sooner than I thought too

it hasn't even been running for more than an hour and it's flickering worse and worse now

EDIT: taken down and getting ready for a 3rd RMA.. captured video of the flickering but this time I opened up Windows Time and Date in the lower right hand corner so their "technicians" can see it's still having issues; issue captured July 29th by video with proof provided, smh

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 29 Jul 2023, 17:58

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 08:04
Seen my first 2 flickers with this second RMA, lol

lol acer is full of shit.. there is no way they did anything to it with the 2nd RMA repair.. it came back sooner than I thought too

it hasn't even been running for more than an hour and it's flickering worse and worse now

EDIT: taken down and getting ready for a 3rd RMA.. captured video of the flickering but this time I opened up Windows Time and Date in the lower right hand corner so their "technicians" can see it's still having issues; issue captured July 29th by video with proof provided, smh
Are you trying the third unit of the XV252Q and all fickered? What bad luck! Did you even try to create custom resolution at 390hz and manual timing in NVCP as I said in my previous answer? Did they even blink?

Deadmanx

Post by Deadmanx » 30 Jul 2023, 09:41

Crazy you have had all these issues...

Feel bad for you, but I will say this monitor for the $$ is absolutely insane, mine of course works flawless. Hopefully you can get one that works perfect for you. I hope you look back and atleast did what I said to do, if you have already then I guess the panel is bad!! Good luck

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 30 Jul 2023, 10:14

Yeah that sucks, sorry you have continued issues. I have had 3 of these monitors and 1 of them did have the same problems you have, but they were evident before the return window was up so I was able to return it and get it replaced.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 30 Jul 2023, 12:15

Yesterday I went to test playing without the custom resolution with manual times in NVCP, I tried again the "native" 390hz OC way of the monitor and it didn't blink, strange, but I know that any time it will blink, at least that's what I feel lol. Yesterday was a cold day, and the monitor is next to the window, could this have any explanation? I just wanted to try to feel if there would be less Input Lag that way, because it is "native" and with the times of the monitor itself and not the ones I set in the NVCP, honestly I can't say if I felt a difference. Anyway, I'm playing Valorant poorly on this monitor compared to my old Alienware AW2518HF (freesync model). But I still haven't convinced myself that the monitor is the problem, maybe it's just faster than my Alienware and I need to get used to not passing the aim on enemies. I also didn't play for 5 days before changing the monitor, maybe that's it, I'll test more.
Last edited by Caronizeeee on 30 Jul 2023, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.