Monitor contemplations advice requested

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Solarflare

Monitor contemplations advice requested

Post by Solarflare » 30 May 2021, 21:00

Hey CBB , I have a decent Rig (ill list below) but I can really only get anywhere from 110-140fps up and down @ 1440P in some games I play.

I have a BenQ 3203R 144hz 1440P VA panel monitor.
Problem: I find it hard to track action at times on screen , I'm not sure if its blur or what tbh But their are plenty of times ill just loose track in a FPS gunfight or not see people when I'm panning or moving.

Since Video Card upgrades are pretty crazy pricey now and hard (almost impossible) to find.

Do you think I would benefit just going to a higher HZ 1080P monitor instead and upping my FPS, instead of what I'm currently doing? or would it just be a big waste of $$?

"The monitor I used to run was a Benq XL2420T TN and I ran Crossfired AMD R9 290X's so FPS would usually sit like 240 @ 1080P in games that supported crossfire "BF4 etc" , I even ran strobing on that screen for the longest time and I cant remember facing these issues until my 'upgrades'."

I will add I upgraded the screen to what I'm using because I thought fidelity would be better and of course assumed a much newer screen would just flat out perform the much older one in every way, the GPU was changed to get better performance without crossfire hassles I didn't expect new games to chug as hard as they do at 1440p a good example is warzone which just dumps fps sometimes.

Rig below.
I9-7900X @ 4.8ghz | 64gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | Powercolor Liquid Devil 5700XT @ 2150mhz \1800mhz | 1TB NVME ssd |Under a large water loop with consistent good temps

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor contemplations advice requested

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 May 2021, 01:24

Solarflare wrote:
30 May 2021, 21:00
I have a BenQ 3203R 144hz 1440P VA panel monitor.
Problem: I find it hard to track action at times on screen , I'm not sure if its blur or what tbh But their are plenty of times ill just loose track in a FPS gunfight or not see people when I'm panning or moving.
The VA panel can be part of the issue -- they ghost more than TN panels and new FastIPS panels.
Solarflare wrote:
30 May 2021, 21:00
Do you think I would benefit just going to a higher HZ 1080P monitor instead and upping my FPS, instead of what I'm currently doing? or would it just be a big waste of $$?
Not a waste of money even if you don't upgrade Hz.

A 144Hz TN/IPS monitor will have less ghosting than 144Hz VA.

But I recommend you upgrade to 240Hz. Even 144fps at 240hz has less input lag than 144fps at 144Hz.

Just make sure you choose a good panel. For people currently on VA panels or IPS panels, I highly recommend 240Hz IPS -- these IPS panels are much faster than yesterday's IPS. And 144Hz on these will look a bit clearer than 144Hz on a native-144Hz VA panel.

Now....
Yes. Frametime is directly proportional to motion blur. More frametime = more motion blur.
So lower resolution = more frame rate = less motion blur.

Double frame rate translates to half the display motion blur (as long as framerate is within Hz range).

The alternative option is to use a motion blur reduction mode (strobing) and make sure framerate = refreshrate = stroberate with your motion blur reduction mode. Even 100fps at 100Hz strobed (motion blur reduction) has less motion blur than 240fps at 240Hz non-strobed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Solarflare

Post by Solarflare » 31 May 2021, 11:40

Your still going with Viewsonic XG's on your recommend list? I dont really want to go with something under 27" to be honest.

Like you said something that can strobe should work better and that isn't always available anymore, it made the BenQ XL2420t quite decent but colors were washed and 24" felt small thus "upgrade".

What's sad is for the price I paid for this BenQ 3203R I could have basically picked anything at the time (little over a year ago), I just assumed panel tech had come along ways and blur was a thing of the past when talking about high performance higher hz monitors.

Truthfully I thought strobing was just unlisted because they all had it now lol, It used to be a hacked function of NVidia's 3d mode that made it work if I'm not mistaken. So I just thought they all had it and I was quite wrong lol.

Thanks for the help.

Solarflare

Post by Solarflare » 02 Jun 2021, 22:49

I ended up buying a AW2721D , they are on "sale" and I couldn't bring myself to go back to 1080P I messed around on my guest pc which is a 1080p 120hz 27" and I couldn't stand it lol.

G7 was tempting but this BenQ monitor the curved screen was really off putting to me I felt ocd adjusting it jaded my decision.

I saw alot of hype on the Acer also but alot of negative feedback.

Most feedback on the AW2721D i seen was price related and otherwise people felt it was buttery smooth. no strobing but the new IPS nano doesn't seem to get better with strobe anyways.

Bought it from the Dell website comes with 3year replacement etc ,, was going to buy off Amazon "prime" because it ships sooner but it looked more sketchy not sure i get that 3year either which is a nice touch.