Stutter due to memory timing?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Iamtheguy

Stutter due to memory timing?

Post by Iamtheguy » 14 Jul 2021, 06:34

Hi all, currently I am building an overkill gaming pc to achieved locked 120fps for all games. While researching parts, I came upon this issue.

Does RAM timing affect stutter?

If you search on Youtube "CL14 vs CL16 vs CL18 RAM (DDR4 ) Test" you will find a benchmark of games with RAM set at CL 14, 16, and 18.

I noticed that games benchmarked from 0:45 and 2:15 show noticeable stutter on RAM with looser timings when video speed is slowed down to half. Is this a thing or the result of some other factors? Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Stutter due to memory timing?

Post by RealNC » 14 Jul 2021, 23:58

This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1srNTr5gB-8

"Stutter" are unstable frame times. Memory timings will not make frame times unstable. As you can see in the frame time graph, they're just as stable. But they can affect FPS by a little bit. Usually it's a small difference, like 2-4% or so when comparing very fast timings to very slow timings.

I do not see any differences in stutter when viewing that video at 0.25x speed, other than the difference between, say 27FPS and 24FPS depending on the current FPS in each comparison video. 24FPS is gonna look more "framy" than 27FPS. But overall, they're the same.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.