Deep scratches in ASUS VG248QE, how I fixed it

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
zachska87

Deep scratches in ASUS VG248QE, how I fixed it

Post by zachska87 » 31 Dec 2013, 16:16

I came home form work last night to find that my cats knocked a decorative birdcage like this one Image (MUCH heavier than it looks) onto my ASUS VG248QE. There were two pretty deep scratches in the LCD screen but it somehow didn't crack, luckily. I thought I was screwed for sure, but I found a guide online that helped me fix the scratches. I wish now that I would have documented the process better but I wasn't sure it was going to work and I was in a panicked mode.

Basically, I bought a new set of mechanical pencils (a white gum eraser is best, but my local store did not sell them individually) and began to run the scratches with the eraser in the direction of the scratches. Every few minutes, I would wipe the scratches with an alcohol solution pad to clean off the rubber residue (I saw guides online claiming that the alcohol pad alone would solve the scratches...they lied), then continue to rub the scratches "with the grain," so-to-speak, with the white gum eraser from the mechanical pencil. After about 20 minutes of rubbing on both scratches, cleaning off the rubber residue in between rubs, the scratches were GONE. Where I once actually felt deep scratches in the monitor, it was clear and smooth.

I have no idea exactly how or why this works, but many others online have had success with it as well. A lot of you might already know this trick, but I didn't and I swear it felt like Voodoo when I was done. I even fixed a few scratched monitors at work today as well with this trick. I hope this helps someone!
Last edited by zachska87 on 31 Dec 2013, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

shadman

Re: Deep scratches in ASUS VG248QE, how I fixed it

Post by shadman » 31 Dec 2013, 19:41

What happens if you take a picture really close up to the screen where the scratches were? I'm also interested in how it works, and want to know if your camera sees it still. Could be a smartphone camera even. Not sure about a polaroid though.

zachska87

Post by zachska87 » 31 Dec 2013, 21:49

Just took a picture with your comment in the view. One of the scratches is under the word "polaroid" and is still barely visible. The other was down and to the right. There is a light smudge from the eraser that I can't get rid of but that is invisible when the monitor is on over where the second scratch was (it was actually the deeper one!) but I seriously can't see it at all with the monitor on.

shadman

Post by shadman » 01 Jan 2014, 06:16

Very interesting, is it like about 1/2 way down the picture? How about a closer picture, as far as the camera can focus?

But I definitely try this, it looks like it did well for you!

zachska87

Post by zachska87 » 01 Jan 2014, 15:44

You can see it better in this pic maybe? This is about as good as I can get it with my phone camera I think. I have a better camera but my wife has it in Uganda at the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/JWUP7y9.jpg

Look aroung the word "how." The scratch that remains goes through it from the top left to bottom right a ways. You can see that some of the pixels look a little wonky but on anything other than a white screen you can't really notice them.

shadman

Post by shadman » 01 Jan 2014, 21:22

Yeah I can kind of see. That is a decent enough picture, thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 09:58

zachska87 wrote:I came home form work last night to find that my cats knocked a decorative birdcage like this one Image (MUCH heavier than it looks) onto my ASUS VG248QE. There were two pretty deep scratches in the LCD screen but it somehow didn't crack, luckily. I thought I was screwed for sure, but I found a guide online that helped me fix the scratches. I wish now that I would have documented the process better but I wasn't sure it was going to work and I was in a panicked mode.
That's quite the story. I am glad it turned out well.

I have a small but very noticeable scratch on one of my monitors, because of an accident. Maybe I'll try this tip.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zachska87

Post by zachska87 » 03 Jan 2014, 17:18

Let me know if it works for you, I am curious how others fare!

Akoni

Post by Akoni » 03 Jan 2014, 18:12

good to know...i would of put the kitty in timeout lol

i just bought mine, and will have to save this thread if something terrible happens

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jan 2014, 07:00

zachska87 wrote:I have no idea exactly how or why this works, but many others online have had success with it as well.
It's like polishing; the damaged surface is removed by the eraser. If you keep going for hours, you'll eventually dig a hole and reach the actual panel :-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.