OLED equivalent to Viewsonic XG2431?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
MST

OLED equivalent to Viewsonic XG2431?

Post by MST » 08 May 2024, 10:54

Hi, I'm the proud owner of an XG2431 and it's amazing for motion blur reduction. I saw that more and more OLED monitors are coming to mainstream so I'm wondering if there's any OLED out there that can offer the same motion clarify as the XG2431 at 85hz. Or at most 100hz. Any more than that probably requires a video card that I can't currently afford. Especially since I'm hoping that it is also at 1440p since I'm a bit tired of 1080p. But of course, I'd rather have good motion clarity at 1080p than bad clarity at 1440p.
Hope some of the blurbuster gurus read my post!
Thank you!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: OLED equivalent to Viewsonic XG2431?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 May 2024, 18:19

MST wrote:
08 May 2024, 10:54
Hi, I'm the proud owner of an XG2431 and it's amazing for motion blur reduction. I saw that more and more OLED monitors are coming to mainstream so I'm wondering if there's any OLED out there that can offer the same motion clarify as the XG2431 at 85hz. Or at most 100hz. Any more than that probably requires a video card that I can't currently afford. Especially since I'm hoping that it is also at 1440p since I'm a bit tired of 1080p. But of course, I'd rather have good motion clarity at 1080p than bad clarity at 1440p.
Hope some of the blurbuster gurus read my post!
Thank you!
No non-VR OLEDs with BFI yet offer the same motion clarity as a good strobed LCD of any vendor (including XG2431)

However, OLED has much better motion clarity for non-strobed (e.g. 240Hz OLED without BFI is about 1.5x clearer at same framerate than 240Hz LCD with strobing disabled).

It will depends on your priorities, whether the pros/cons are worthwhile.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MST

Post by MST » 10 May 2024, 09:54

Ok I thought there are oleds with strobing already. They should be coming in the near future right, or would that not work with oled?
So.. there are Oleds with BFI just not strobed? How much worse motion clarify would one of those have at 85hz compared to the xg2431? I think I could go for just a little worse...

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 10 May 2024, 13:55

Necessary qualifier to this post: not referring to VR headsets, only talking about monitor and TV sized displays.

The best BFI OLEDs I've seen to date (which includes some LG Tvs no longer available for sale) had 4.2~ms MPRT, or equivalent to 240hz motion clarity available at 60hz and 120hz.

Currently available (ie, can be bought new) and soon to be coming OLEDs are more restricted. I think on the QDOLED side there's a monitor that can do bfi at 60hz, but has roughly 8.4ms~ MPRT, or the visual equivalent of 120hz clarity. On LG's WOLED side I've only seen 240hz panels that can offer 4.2ms~ MPRT (240hz equivalent motion clarity) and only offer their BFI mode for 120hz.

Not as much raw motion clarity, but it does come with perks like no ghosting or overshooting artifacts. No screen uniformity issues related to using a backlight, that sort of thing.

Until we see an oled display that offers bfi support on a native panel level, this is unlikely to change. You may see some more options available with an external converter box that can do more than the internal scalers of monitors can, but it'd be dependent on piping all of your devices through the external scaler and that external scaler supporting the resolution / refresh rates you want.

MST

Post by MST » 12 May 2024, 10:08

Thanks. So for now I should stick with my xg2431. Bummer. Hope in a year or so we have better options. Don't get me wrong the xg2431 is amazing but I just love how oled looks. I hope I get a chance to test out a new oled monitor to see how bad the motion looks on it.