OLED burn in reduction with BFI?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
deama

OLED burn in reduction with BFI?

Post by deama » 28 Jun 2020, 07:22

So OLED has problems with burn in, but can this be reduced if you enable BFI (black frame insertion)?

jorimt

Re: OLED burn in reduction with BFI?

Post by jorimt » 30 Jun 2020, 12:54

deama wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 07:22
So OLED has problems with burn in, but can this be reduced if you enable BFI (black frame insertion)?
Not that I know of. I guess there's a slight possibility it can be slowed with continuous usage of BFI, but this hasn't been objectively tested.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 13:35

jorimt wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 12:54
deama wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 07:22
Not that I know of. I guess there's a slight possibility it can be slowed with continuous usage of BFI, but this hasn't been objectively tested.
I asked this question on another forum and the guy said yes because lower brightness = will take longer to burn in, but donno if this has any merit to it though.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Jun 2020, 14:59

deama wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 13:35
I asked this question on another forum and the guy said yes because lower brightness = will take longer to burn in, but donno if this has any merit to it though.
I don't believe BFI actually lower peak brightness though, but just obscures it. So if you have the OLED at 100% brightness, it's still max brightness, but the black frame inserted between makes it so instead of a sustained 100% brightness level, it's brief pulses of full brightness + brief pulses of black frames alternating continuously.

So with that in mind, I don't think it would help with burn-in reduction as much as a continuous lower non-BFI brightness setting would.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 15:21

jorimt wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:59
deama wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 13:35
I don't believe BFI actually lower peak brightness though, but just obscures it. So if you have the OLED at 100% brightness, it's still max brightness, but the black frame inserted between makes it so instead of a sustained 100% brightness level, it's brief pulses of full brightness + brief pulses of black frames alternating continuously.

So with that in mind, I don't think it would help with burn-in reduction as much as a continuous lower non-BFI brightness setting would.
Yes but wouldn't the brief black pulses cancel out (not fully) the bright pulses? Would that work?
Like at 240hz, 120 of those would be 100% bright images, whereas the other 120 would be pure black, giving you an effective 50% brightness (let's say for example), so how comparable would that be if you had it at 120hz without BFI, but at 50% brightness?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2020, 15:48

jorimt wrote:

It does greatly reduce OLED wear and tear.

Scientsts tested pulsed LED and OLED operation and found that it does prolong average life, though not nearly as much as average lower brightness.

Burn in definitely will be greatly reduced in BFI mode, as long as the pulses aren't brighter to compensate for dimness.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 16:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 15:48
jorimt wrote:

Scientsts tested pulsed LED and OLED operation and found that it does prolong average life, though not nearly as much as average lower brightness.

Burn in definitely will be greatly reduced in BFI mode, as long as the pulses aren't brighter to compensate for dimness.
So then would it basically make no difference to use bfi at 100% brightness vs non-bfi but at 50% brightness?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Jun 2020, 16:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 15:48
jorimt wrote:

Ah, good to know. I hadn't seen any material on the subject, so I assumed none had been made. Happen to have link to that study? I'd be interested to read it.

I calibrate non-BFI to 100 nits, and don't use my OLEDs as desktops, so I haven't had any issues with noticeable long-term IR or burn-in.

I think for real-world use cases, so long as you don't use it for one game with prominent HUDs 24/7 and/or as a desktop with constant static windows at 100% brightness, the worries over OLED burn-in are overwrought. I've actually had less luck with plasma in that respect.

deama

Post by deama » 30 Jun 2020, 17:03

jorimt wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 16:42
I calibrate non-BFI to 100 nits, and don't use my OLEDs as desktops, so I haven't had any issues with noticeable long-term IR or burn-in.

I think for real-world use cases, so long as you don't use it for one game with prominent HUDs 24/7 and/or as a desktop with constant static windows at 100% brightness, the worries over OLED burn-in are overwrought. I've actually had less luck with plasma in that respect.
I actually would like to use the LG CX as my desktop monitor and am hoping it'll go to around 3 years before noticeable burn in happens, though I won't really know if I can drive it that far till I try.
So was thinking of waiting till black friday and hope for a £400-500 reduction.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Jun 2020, 18:59

deama wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 17:03
I actually would like to use the LG CX as my desktop monitor and am hoping it'll go to around 3 years before noticeable burn in happens
OLED "burn-in" is primarily due to uneven aging of the panel, so if you mix it up enough, you should be fine. The primary issue in rtings burn-in tests, for instance (which were extreme and not typical of normal usage) were due to colorful static logos (such as CNN) and the like.

I think for 2018, 2019, and 2020 panels, LG has increased the size of the red subpixel to make it more resilient to this type of uneven wear, as well as added more aggressive preventative measures, such as logo dimming.