Which OLED TV has the best BFI with lowest pixel persistence? (LG vs SONY)

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
blurhater92

Which OLED TV has the best BFI with lowest pixel persistence? (LG vs SONY)

Post by blurhater92 » 07 Oct 2021, 11:45

Anyone know which OLED TV has the lowest pixel persistence with BFI enabled? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I have been searching about the various Sony and LG models from the past few years, and it seems the LG CX has the lowest pixel persistence of any OLED monitor with a 75% BFI blur reduction with BFI set at High with around 4ms pixel persistence. I read the previous C8, C9, and even the new 2021 C1 models only have a 50% BFI blur reduction at High with around 8ms pixel persistence. How about the Sony OLED models?

Most of the reviews always suggest LG for gaming due to the gaming features, but my focus for gaming is mainly on motion clarity. I will gladly give up G-Sync, VRR, etc. in favor of a very strong BFI implementation to obtain near CRT-like motion clarity. I heard Sony has the best motion, but I think the reviews are focusing on stutter and soap opera effects and not the actual motion clarity. I'm not really sure about Sony models regarding BFI.

Hoping someone could confirm or correct me if anything I stated is incorrect. Looking for an OLED TV with the lowest pixel persistence with the strongest BFI implementation at 60Hz/120Hz.

This is my 1st post here and I’m so glad I found this forum.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Which OLED TV has the best BFI with lowest pixel persistence? (LG vs SONY)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Oct 2021, 15:10

LG OLED CX is the best at the moment. There's no way to get less than 4ms persistence on a large-format OLED at the moment.

If you want lower-persistence OLED, you will have to get an OLED VR headset (2ms persistence).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

milos srb

Post by milos srb » 08 Oct 2021, 01:55

Chief, sorry for the offtopic, can you name monitor(s) you currently use?

blurhater92

Post by blurhater92 » 10 Oct 2021, 06:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 15:10
LG OLED CX is the best at the moment. There's no way to get less than 4ms persistence on a large-format OLED at the moment.

If you want lower-persistence OLED, you will have to get an OLED VR headset (2ms persistence).
Thank you sir Chief!

One thing I wanted to clarify, the C8, C9, and the new 2021 C1 are all at 8ms for 60Hz with BFI enabled, but only the CX is capable of 4ms persistence? The reason I just wanted to clarify that is because I got confused with the TruMotion Off/On (C8,C9) vs MotionPro (CX,C1). Apparently the CX and C1 both have MortionPro with Low,Med,High settings, but it's in name only since the High on the C1 is 8ms and the High on the CX is 4ms? (with the C1 being brighter than the CX at High due to less BFI)

I currently own the C8, and I was initially planning to upgrade to the C1. I take it that the C1 BFI would look exactly the same (in terms of motion blur reduction) as the C8? So it seems I should instead opt for the older CX/GX.

The thing is, I found this comparison (attachment photo) and it doesn't clarify whether this is a test shot from the CX or C1.

Thank you again!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Oct 2021, 16:20

blurhater92 wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 06:26
One thing I wanted to clarify, the C8, C9, and the new 2021 C1 are all at 8ms for 60Hz with BFI enabled, but only the CX is capable of 4ms persistence?
Compared to C8 and C9, yes. You need the CX series or newer to get 4ms persistence capability (75% reduction in motion blur) with 60Hz content. That makes the CX series better than plasma in motion quality.

However, I do not yet have enough data/experience on the C1 yet, though.

(Also, your attachment photo is missing?)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!