Questions about PG27AQDM longevity

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
KALK4L

Questions about PG27AQDM longevity

Post by KALK4L » 13 Jul 2023, 01:55

I have a questions regarding the type of OLED panel found in the Asus PG27AQDM.

I'll probably use the monitor everyday from 8 to 16 hours for gaming (FPS and Fighting Games) and browsing without hiding the address bar and not planning to baby sit the monitor apart from running the pixel cleaning stuff, I will use the monitor all the time at it's maximum SDR brightness of 240 nits with Uniform Brightness ON to avoid any fluctuation in the brightness level, but on the other hand I will for sure never touch HDR mode so I will never push those pixels beyond the 240 nits available in SDR.

Do you think under this usage the monitor will last me for 3 years without any serious burn-in or degradation in the maximum brightness level in SDR? I know this question probably doesn't have an answer because no one has tested this panel for a long time, but I also know that there are some very knowledgeable people in this forum that can give well educated guesses better than me so I thought I should ask.

Edit: Deleted the question about fringing because it was based on incorrect information.

EliteA1

Re: Questions about PG27AQDM longevity

Post by EliteA1 » 28 Jul 2023, 23:39

Too early to say, but I don't really care if the panel lasts 3 years better technology will be out like 480hz OLED and etc. It sounds like gaming and PC usage is your hobby going off the 8-16 hours daily so the investment is probably worth it to buy a panel every 3 years. Buy from a store like Best Buy that offers 4 year protection plans exchanged in the store with no questions asked and be sure to run the pixel refresh stuff daily.

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 29 Jul 2023, 15:18

The monitor costs well more than $1300 where I am from and we don't have Best Buy for burn in protection, add on top of that that no one but Corsair with their very low SDR brightness cover burn-in in their warranty which makes me worried that they might not even last more than 2 years without suffering from burn-in.

There are people who can afford buying such a monitor every two years but unfortunately that's not me, burn-in along with the VRR flicker issues make me question whether the PG27AQDM is worth the risk to get the deeper blacks and better motion clarity at 60 FPS locked games.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Jul 2023, 16:23

KALK4L wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 01:55
Do you think under this usage the monitor will last me for 3 years without any serious burn-in or degradation in the maximum brightness level in SDR?
On max brightness, noticeable degradation over 3+ years is about as likely as it is for LCD. As for IR/burn-in, can't say.

What I can say is the PG27AQDM uses the latest generation LG WOLED, which is proven to be more burn-in resistant than QD-OLED, and the most IR/burn-in resistance WOLED thus far.

Everything else on this subject just devolves into cyclically speculative OCD paranoia, mostly from people who have never owned OLED. I've owned multiple OLEDS with no burn-in or IR issues, but haven't played games long or consistently enough on any of them to say one way or another on that.

I personally opted for the PG27AQN over one of the latest 27" 1440p OLED models because I still do too much productivity work to justify the extra contrast ratio and better HDR support where risk of long term IR (even if minimal) and poorer text rendering still apply over LCD.

Otherwise, if it were solely for PC gaming, I would have probably opted for the PG27AQDM, but since I calibrate all my displays to 100 nits and game only in SDR (HDR standards on PC are a mess), the side-by-side differences between the two would have been too minute for me.

YMMV, obviously.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 29 Jul 2023, 17:42

jorimt wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 16:23
On max brightness, noticeable degradation over 3+ years is about as likely as it is for LCD. As for IR/burn-in, can't say.

What I can say is the PG27AQDM uses the latest generation LG WOLED, which is proven to be more burn-in resistant than QD-OLED, and the most IR/burn-in resistance WOLED thus far.

Everything else on this subject just devolves into cyclically speculative OCD paranoia, mostly from people who have never owned OLED. I've owned multiple OLEDS with no burn-in or IR issues, but haven't played games long or consistently enough on any of them to say one way or another on that.

I personally opted for the PG27AQN over one of the latest 27" 1440p OLED models because I still do too much productivity work to justify the extra contrast ratio and better HDR support where risk of long term IR (even if minimal) and poorer text rendering still apply over LCD.

Otherwise, if it were solely for PC gaming, I would have probably opted for the PG27AQDM, but since I calibrate all my displays to 100 nits and game only in SDR (HDR standards on PC are a mess), the side-by-side differences between the two would have been too minute for me.

YMMV, obviously.
If you use your monitor at 100 nits then shouldn't your risk of burn-in be extremely low even when used for productivity? You seem like a perfect candidate to own an OLED panel, no?

To me, it if was only the risk of burn-in it would've been an easy pick for me, but OLED's flicker and the extra features the IPS model has like the extra 120Hz and Reflex Analyzer would be sweet when optimizing my setup.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Jul 2023, 19:02

KALK4L wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 17:42
If you use your monitor at 100 nits then shouldn't your risk of burn-in be extremely low even when used for productivity? You seem like a perfect candidate to own an OLED panel, no?
100 nits does not prevent uneven aging.

Also, while I don't typically use HDR for games, I watch all my HDR-supported media in HDR on my OLED displays. And again, text rendering; I code for work, so a reduction in text clarity (partially because OLEDs have a different subpixel structure that PC doesn't support fully, and partially because OLED has a lower pixel fill rate - aka sub-pixels are spaced farther apart - compared to LCD monitors at the same res) is a deal-breaker for me.
KALK4L wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 17:42
To me, it if was only the risk of burn-in it would've been an easy pick for me, but OLED's flicker and the extra features the IPS model has like the extra 120Hz and Reflex Analyzer would be sweet when optimizing my setup.
Either the PG27AQN or PG27AQDM are excellent choices; which of the two you ultimately pick simply depends on individual preference and use case.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 31 Jul 2023, 22:22

Does the ambient temperature play a role in terms of burn-in risk? For example here in Asia, a room temperature of 28 C to 30 C (82F to 86F) isn't uncommon, does running an OLED panel in this environment accelerate the burn-in process in OLEDs or does it depend solely on how varied the displayed content is?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Aug 2023, 08:30

KALK4L wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 22:22
Does the ambient temperature play a role in terms of burn-in risk? For example here in Asia, a room temperature of 28 C to 30 C (82F to 86F) isn't uncommon, does running an OLED panel in this environment accelerate the burn-in process in OLEDs or does it depend solely on how varied the displayed content is?
Ambient temp could have a minor effect on the duration of temporary image retention if it raises the panel's general operating temp to a significant enough degree in theory, but I don't think this has been directly tested.

As for "burn-in," this is caused on OLED because each pixel ages individually, and some colors age more quickly than others (like red). Thus if you vary your content enough, the more each pixel has the chance of aging the same amount as the pixels around it, preventing any obvious long-term burn-in.

RTINGs is running a long term longevity stress test on a variety of models (including a couple of OLED monitors):
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/longevi ... nd-results

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 06 Aug 2023, 18:00

The answer is simple: Will you have enough money saved up to buy another monitor if burn-in occurs within 2-3 years? if the answer is no then don't buy an OLED for desktop usage.

No one knows in general what OLED longevity will be, I think it's going to be a mixture of potluck/panel lottery and how long you keep the display on for, leaving static items on screen etc.

From memory, I've seen a number of posts on this forum and YouTube comments that mention they've had no burn-in despite using the their OLED TV a lot. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you use a screensaver, turn off the monitor when going AFK for a while, use the features that come with the screen to prevent burn-in and you should be fine.

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 06 Aug 2023, 18:07

Dalek wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 18:00
The answer is simple: Will you have enough money saved up to buy another monitor if burn-in occurs within 2-3 years? if the answer is no then don't buy an OLED for desktop usage.

No one knows in general what OLED longevity will be, I think it's going to be a mixture of potluck/panel lottery and how long you keep the display on for, leaving static items on screen etc.

From memory, I've seen a number of posts on this forum and YouTube comments that mention they've had no burn-in despite using the their OLED TV a lot. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you use a screensaver, turn off the monitor when going AFK for a while, use the features that come with the screen to prevent burn-in and you should be fine.
If a bought a cheap secondary monitor for browsing, do you think I will be fine playing SF6 for 5 hours a day everyday? or does that also fall in the risky territory in your opinion? I'm specifically afraid of the hud and as I said I'll be using it in SDR at its max 250nits.

I keep hearing people say OLED is fine for gaming, but someone who plays a bunch of games casually is probably very different from a competitive player who only plays 1 or 2 games max in terms of risk of burn-in, no?