240hz OLED vs 500hz IPS advantages?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 240hz OLED vs 500hz IPS advantages?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jul 2023, 22:14

MSIfanboy wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 03:49
some of the rtings tests you dont know how they tested, like did they use overdrive in BFI test, what brightness/contrast/gamma did they use in some of the monitor brightness tests, and even some of there info is wrong, listing 24.5 inch panels as 25 inch (diagonal) and wrong PPI on some monitors, stuff like that
jorimt wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 12:01
Yes, but again, better than nothing; just a few years ago, TFTCentral was the only in-depth (English language) monitor reviewer to speak of, and their reviews for the newest monitors were (and are) very infrequent.

Consistently buying and reviewing all the newest gaming monitors and trying to achieve even close to what could be considered a cohesive test bench across different models is no simple task, so there are bound to be inconsistencies here and there. Just something to keep in mind while shopping and comparing.
One chicken and egg problem is that via affiliate-income sometimes takes 3-5 years to pay for the staff time spent reviewing a display, especially one that they have to purchase themselves. It depends on the website. For a long time, it was below minimum-Walmart hourly rate, when all those hours are averaged out. It still is for a log of bloggers when they do it themselves.

Also, pandemic has slowed down display testing and it is taking a long time to recover and upgrade tests. RTINGS suffered greatly during the pandemic when their display testing warehouse was closed for a while during lockdowns.

So they don't always have the time nor afford to do all the comprehensive tests that all users demand, sadly.

I am still surprised how much staff RTINGS manages to be able to hire, and the number of tests they are able to do, but inventing new additional display tests (that can takes sometimes hours per monitor) can be quite problematic for staff time. They're the gorilla of monitor reviewers, compared to other websites.

During the pandemic, Blur Busters did some drastic cost cutting and now can successfully easily operate at half income as year 2019. We are now re-expanding income, but, it is taking time, with tons of things delayed/postponed/cancelled (e.g. my Blur Busters Display Tester, supposed to have been released by now, which I still use internally for a lot of tasks for contracts)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

EliteA1

Post by EliteA1 » 28 Jul 2023, 23:36

The experience is pretty interchangeable. I have an Asus 27 OLED and the LG 27 OLED as well as the BenQ 2566k.

I also tried the 360hz ULMB 2 Asus panel but I couldn't handle the black level of IPS or the corners all four bleeding. I literally sit so close to my screen that the viewing angles of the IPS were awful for me.

Anyway, the motion clarity of the 2566k is unbeatable but in my old age I really enjoy the boost in contrast on my OLED and the larger screen. I found myself tracking enemies easier in Overwatch due to the colors being separated more and a nicer outline on my OLED. Sure I notice some blur when I'm flicking the mouse but most of the time I don't really flick shot I just track.

My biggest issue in OW is that on bright maps on a TN or IPS panel the colors become almost bleached and begin to clip and blend together no matter how much I adjust the contrast / brightness / gamma.

Hyperflux

Post by Hyperflux » 31 Jul 2023, 06:06

Thanks for your anecdotal input, this is literally the only place on the internet where it's easy to find info like this. I agree 100% on the Zowie XL2566K 360hz not feeling appealing or investing increasing performance significantly over the 240hz PG27AQDM - sure the motion blur reduction via DyAc+ is smooth as hell but OLED's faster pixel response time + better visual clarity due to color contrast and vibrancy + higher pixel density with 1440p over a slightly larger panel more than makes up the difference. My thought process and personal experience pretty much agree with you and Optimum Tech, and I'm also getting old (turning 30 soon - my vision and reaction time are no where near as cracked as I was between 16-24). I still need to try the PG27AQN and I might be forced to since I need to return the XL2566K within ~30 hours for a full refund and the Memory Express stores in Calgary only have open box/demo units which worries me - they might not be able to have ULMB2 implementation but I'm just shooting in the dark, I hate open box stuff for flagship tech just to save a measly 10%. It's ridiculous. Maybe I could demo it in store with the techs post firmware update and see how it feels, otherwise I'll just have to wait for the 24" P248QP E-TN which I'll then replace as soon as humanely possible for a gen two 27" 1440p360hz OLED. From what I hear though it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing that until Q4 2024 when production supposedly starts, meaning it would be early 2025. I don't remember how IPS panels look for near-field comp FPS gaming but I don't mind sitting a bit away from sniffing distance to my monitor, we'll see.
PC Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/LYLPxr
Steam Profile:https://steamcommunity.com/id/hyperfluxe/
Audio Gear: https://www.head-fi.org/members/hyperfluxe.144494/#about

EliteA1

Post by EliteA1 » 08 Aug 2023, 01:27

Hyperflux wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 06:06
Thanks for your anecdotal input, this is literally the only place on the internet where it's easy to find info like this. I agree 100% on the Zowie XL2566K 360hz not feeling appealing or investing increasing performance significantly over the 240hz PG27AQDM - sure the motion blur reduction via DyAc+ is smooth as hell but OLED's faster pixel response time + better visual clarity due to color contrast and vibrancy + higher pixel density with 1440p over a slightly larger panel more than makes up the difference. My thought process and personal experience pretty much agree with you and Optimum Tech, and I'm also getting old (turning 30 soon - my vision and reaction time are no where near as cracked as I was between 16-24). I still need to try the PG27AQN and I might be forced to since I need to return the XL2566K within ~30 hours for a full refund and the Memory Express stores in Calgary only have open box/demo units which worries me - they might not be able to have ULMB2 implementation but I'm just shooting in the dark, I hate open box stuff for flagship tech just to save a measly 10%. It's ridiculous. Maybe I could demo it in store with the techs post firmware update and see how it feels, otherwise I'll just have to wait for the 24" P248QP E-TN which I'll then replace as soon as humanely possible for a gen two 27" 1440p360hz OLED. From what I hear though it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing that until Q4 2024 when production supposedly starts, meaning it would be early 2025. I don't remember how IPS panels look for near-field comp FPS gaming but I don't mind sitting a bit away from sniffing distance to my monitor, we'll see.
Brother I picked up the 360hz again 2k Asus after using OLED for like 2+ weeks for 12 hours and holy damn the motion clarity on the 360 ULMB2 is unreal. Going to stop using OLED now and way better saturation than my benQ.

24" P248QP E-T sounds tempting but I actually like the saturated colors and the larger screen to spot enemies better from distance. Will probably buy and try tho

ohhh noo I got this green pixel on my 360hz Asus might as well exchange once and see
Attachments
20230808_012851.jpg
20230808_012851.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 4592 times

hart

Post by hart » 08 Aug 2023, 12:02

EliteA1 wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 01:27

Brother I picked up the 360hz again 2k Asus after using OLED for like 2+ weeks for 12 hours and holy damn the motion clarity on the 360 ULMB2 is unreal. Going to stop using OLED now and way better saturation than my benQ.
is that much difference really?

I went from 144 ips to 240 oled and it's really amazing the difference, if the change to ulmb2 is so big, I may think to change it also, it's just that on the reviews I saw, the static images of the ufo on ulmb2, didn't differ that much from oled reviews, specially on the lower of the screen, but you know, seeing things in person can change a lot what you can feel on static images.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Aug 2023, 20:19

EliteA1 wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 01:27
If you use a strobe backlight, they can still outperform OLED in motion clarity!

But if you do not use a strobe backlight, 240Hz OLED can outperform 360Hz LCD if you're more worried about eye-tracked motion clarity (tracking eyes on moving objects).

So it goes like this.

1. 360Hz ULMB2
2. 240Hz OLED without strobe
3. 360Hz LCD without strobe

However, there are many people who don't like strobe backlights (eyestrain, etc) -- so YMMV. People who hate item 1, but like either item 2 or 3, may find better motion with item 2.

I probably should publish an article about the pros/cons of the various kinds of reducing display motion blur, including brute framerate-based motion blur reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 09 Aug 2023, 20:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 20:19

So it goes like this.

1. 360Hz ULMB2
2. 240Hz OLED without strobe
3. 360Hz LCD without strobe
Do 2. and 3. still hold the same spot when used at their max Hz with G-Sync enabled but with a 60 FPS locked game like a fighting game?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2023, 00:11

KALK4L wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 20:59
Do 2. and 3. still hold the same spot when used at their max Hz with G-Sync enabled but with a 60 FPS locked game like a fighting game?
Ignoring lag (since most people fighting game questions is about lag, and my reply was about motion quality), it will still be the same order item 2 and 3.

Now since your question was about fighting games -- if you're talking about latency -- the one with the faster max Hz, will generally have lower G-SYNC lag for any frame rate whenever VRR is enabled -- lower 60fps lag with each frame displaying in 1/360sec. However, my reply was about motion quality.

ULMB2 isn't even available at 60Hz, so that is not even an option. Very few strobe backlights are unlocked to work at 60Hz, such as ViewSonic XG2431.

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 10 Aug 2023, 00:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 00:11

Ignoring lag (since most people fighting game questions is about lag, and my reply was about motion quality), it will still be the same order item 2 and 3.

Now since your question was about fighting games -- if you're talking about latency -- the one with the faster max Hz, will generally have lower G-SYNC lag for any frame rate whenever VRR is enabled -- lower 60fps lag with each frame displaying in 1/360sec. However, my reply was about motion quality.

ULMB2 isn't even available at 60Hz, so that is not even an option. Very few strobe backlights are unlocked to work at 60Hz, such as ViewSonic XG2431.
Yep, I meant in terms of motion clarity, I think it is also important in fighting games, better motion clarity could also results in you being able to more easily identify your opponents move and respond more quickly. I wish fighting games developers would start to implement support for high frame rate in their games, especially 3D fighting games like Tekken have awesome and longer animations that would look great in high frame rate but unfortunately that doesn't seem a priority at all, only fighting game I could think of with support for high frame rate is Samurai Shodown and even that one is capped to 120 FPS :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Aug 2023, 19:08

If your video source (e.g. PC running at 60fps) can do QFT, then the Retrotink can eliminate the BFI latency. Lagless BFI is possible if the input source is QFT'd to the same scan velocity. (e.g. 60Hz refresh cycle transmitted in 1/120sec, 1/180sec, or 1/240sec).

XBox and PlayStations do not support QFT, but PC GPUs do, so a fighting game on a PC can deliver 60fps QFT to Retrotink 4K.

So the BFI lag penalty is eliminable on OLEDs, but only with QFT signals.