Has the upcoming LG G3 & Samsung S95C's BFI improved?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
NeonPizza

Re: Has the upcoming LG G3 & Samsung S95C's BFI improved?

Post by NeonPizza » 27 Apr 2023, 21:43

deama wrote:
23 Apr 2023, 08:18
Need to make some sort of partition for this, anyone good at making those?

Most people don't even mess with the BFI settings or even realize exactly what it's doing, especially when it comes to LG's past 120hz BFI settings Low, Medium & High. Heck, Low, Medium and Auto were designed for 120fps content, using them for movies created motion doubling. A lot of people were probably completely clueless by it all.

When they test drive Max BFI, all they see is the TV becoming dimmer, darker and that gnarly flicker.

LG figures, why even bother? It's too bad, because the current state of OLED motion without BFI or 120fps is a laughing stock. Hard to justify spending all of that money. But if they also can't reduce the BFI flicks and make the picture look natural, than it makes the feature become useless for the vast majority. OLED motion kind of sucks and can't stand the choppy film judder.

OLED's motion issues continue to get swept under the rug. Too many dudes who have owned nothing but LCD and LED's over the years have grown accustomed to crap motion, so they don't even know any better.

deama

Post by deama » 29 Apr 2023, 17:46

NeonPizza wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 21:43
deama wrote:

Most people don't even mess with the BFI settings or even realize exactly what it's doing, especially when it comes to LG's past 120hz BFI settings Low, Medium & High. Heck, Low, Medium and Auto were designed for 120fps content, using them for movies created motion doubling. A lot of people were probably completely clueless by it all.

When they test drive Max BFI, all they see is the TV becoming dimmer, darker and that gnarly flicker.

LG figures, why even bother? It's too bad, because the current state of OLED motion without BFI or 120fps is a laughing stock. Hard to justify spending all of that money. But if they also can't reduce the BFI flicks and make the picture look natural, than it makes the feature become useless for the vast majority. OLED motion kind of sucks and can't stand the choppy film judder.

OLED's motion issues continue to get swept under the rug. Too many dudes who have owned nothing but LCD and LED's over the years have grown accustomed to crap motion, so they don't even know any better.
I've been meaning to buy something newer and brighter than my LG CX, but looks like I'll have to wait till they start making 240hz panels if they're not gonna put in the BFI at 120hz.

I don't suppose you have an idea how far a way 240hz panels are for TVs? There's OLED monitors at 240hz already, but TVs is what I want o get cause I like them big.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 30 Apr 2023, 20:14

deama wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 17:46
NeonPizza wrote:
deama wrote:

I've been meaning to buy something newer and brighter than my LG CX, but looks like I'll have to wait till they start making 240hz panels if they're not gonna put in the BFI at 120hz.

I don't suppose you have an idea how far a way 240hz panels are for TVs? There's OLED monitors at 240hz already, but TVs is what I want o get cause I like them big.

Definitely go QD-OLED(Samsung S95C), if you want brighter BFI. supposedly it has an 8.4ms motion persistence and 600p motion clarity(Which is in the same ball park as the C1's MotionPro HIGH BFI, unless I'm mistaken) but the S95C's SDR is packing more gobs of brightness, aside from much greater Color gumut, color volume, native gradient etc. As is, BFI Motion Pro HIGH on the LG C1 IN game mode is too dim for my tastes and just isn't really viable.

I wonder how much latency game mode's 60hz BFI gives you with the S95C, and i'm really curious about it's motion interpolation game mode settings. Being able to force a 60fps game into an artifical/fake 120 would be the dream. XD

As for 240hz panels, no idea. I'm not interested in buying a smaller 240hz computer monitor, nor do i have a beefy PC gaming rig.
65" is the sweet spot for me. I'd be happy going 77", when 4K(Or check board and possibly dynamic) becomes the norm, while ramping up the sharpness settings to compensate. You really need native 4K at that size, AND only if motion persistence and motion clarity got a big upgrade. Because as is, the motion blur coming from 8ms(120fps & 60hz BFI) and the semi-low 600p motion clarity will just be magnified and more prominent at 77" Not good enough, at least for me.

I'd go 77", if BFI offered 4ms persistence(at most) and at least 1080p motion clarity. Question is, when will this even happen? 1ms is obviously the goal here. I mean, QD-OLED seems damn near perfect in every area except it's glaring weakenss, motion. Yet the vast majority of buyers don't seem to care, and as always gets swept under the rug. Rule of thumb, if you value motion(who am i kidding, this is blur busters, everybody here does.lol) never spend full price on lets say QD-OLED. Wait for the sticker price to plummet, or score an Open box. These TV's are not worth the money they're asking. My Panasonic S60 is still overall the better peformer for movies Vs a QD-OLED + BFI, simply because there's less noticeable flicks, smoother panning transitions(way less judder), AND no out of box blacking crushing or BFI shadow detail crushing. The latter two can be corrected with a pro calibration, so there's that.

QD-OLED + BFI or 120fps specifically for gaming seems to be the best overall option for larger sized TV's at the moment.
I wonder how Samsung's QN90C LED's BFI hold up by comparison, persistence and motion clarity wise to their flagship OLED.

deama

Post by deama » 01 May 2023, 05:17

NeonPizza wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:14
deama wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 17:46
NeonPizza wrote:
deama wrote:

Definitely go QD-OLED(Samsung S95C), if you want brighter BFI. supposedly it has an 8.4ms motion persistence and 600p motion clarity(Which is in the same ball park as the C1's MotionPro HIGH BFI, unless I'm mistaken) but the S95C's SDR is packing more gobs of brightness, aside from much greater Color gumut, color volume, native gradient etc. As is, BFI Motion Pro HIGH on the LG C1 IN game mode is too dim for my tastes and just isn't really viable.

I wonder how much latency game mode's 60hz BFI gives you with the S95C, and i'm really curious about it's motion interpolation game mode settings. Being able to force a 60fps game into an artifical/fake 120 would be the dream. XD

As for 240hz panels, no idea. I'm not interested in buying a smaller 240hz computer monitor, nor do i have a beefy PC gaming rig.
65" is the sweet spot for me. I'd be happy going 77", when 4K(Or check board and possibly dynamic) becomes the norm, while ramping up the sharpness settings to compensate. You really need native 4K at that size, AND only if motion persistence and motion clarity got a big upgrade. Because as is, the motion blur coming from 8ms(120fps & 60hz BFI) and the semi-low 600p motion clarity will just be magnified and more prominent at 77" Not good enough, at least for me.

I'd go 77", if BFI offered 4ms persistence(at most) and at least 1080p motion clarity. Question is, when will this even happen? 1ms is obviously the goal here. I mean, QD-OLED seems damn near perfect in every area except it's glaring weakenss, motion. Yet the vast majority of buyers don't seem to care, and as always gets swept under the rug. Rule of thumb, if you value motion(who am i kidding, this is blur busters, everybody here does.lol) never spend full price on lets say QD-OLED. Wait for the sticker price to plummet, or score an Open box. These TV's are not worth the money they're asking. My Panasonic S60 is still overall the better peformer for movies Vs a QD-OLED + BFI, simply because there's less noticeable flicks, smoother panning transitions(way less judder), AND no out of box blacking crushing or BFI shadow detail crushing. The latter two can be corrected with a pro calibration, so there's that.

QD-OLED + BFI or 120fps specifically for gaming seems to be the best overall option for larger sized TV's at the moment.
I wonder how Samsung's QN90C LED's BFI hold up by comparison, persistence and motion clarity wise to their flagship OLED.
Yeah but there's no point in going 60hz BFI, playing any first person or third person game in 60hz gives me motion sickness nowadays.

I use a custom motion blur profile for my mpv video player config, so I don't really get the issue with OLEDs inherent stuttering.
Even a friend of mine said my LG CX looked smoother than his VA panel monitor, and those tend to have more inherent motion blur than IPS, at least his generation back when he bought it 4-5 years ago.

There's no point I think in thinking about this now because 120hz BFI is seemingly gone from OLEDs, and 240hz OLED tvs that are 48+ inches in size are far away still. I'm hoping my LG CX will give me another 3 years with no issues and hopefully something properly better will come out at that time.

Clear Motion Seeker

Post by Clear Motion Seeker » 01 May 2023, 10:27

NeonPizza wrote:
deama wrote:

The main problem is that all TV manufacturers don't care about the BFI feature ; they just propose to enable it but in a very lazy way. The most evident aspect is the impossibility to toggle between BFI and non-BFI modes that you could activate in the settings, or even better, through a dedicated button on the remote control.

High-end PCs are expensive, but if you have a large budget to buy one, then you can push all current games and of the next few years, to max settings.

But with the most expensive TV, you can't get great motion and good brightness at once.

I'm sure they could improve it, but the mass doesn't care.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 03 May 2023, 23:13

Clear Motion Seeker wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:27
NeonPizza wrote:
deama wrote:

The main problem is that all TV manufacturers don't care about the BFI feature ; they just propose to enable it but in a very lazy way. The most evident aspect is the impossibility to toggle between BFI and non-BFI modes that you could activate in the settings, or even better, through a dedicated button on the remote control.

High-end PCs are expensive, but if you have a large budget to buy one, then you can push all current games and of the next few years, to max settings.

But with the most expensive TV, you can't get great motion and good brightness at once.

I'm sure they could improve it, but the mass doesn't care.
The masses probably don't care because the vast majority have been so accustomed to buying crappy LCD & LED TV's ever since the demise of Plasma in 2014. :P They've grown accustomed to the slower motion response time of LCD & LED TV's, that OLED by comparison seems like a bit of an upgrade.

I tried using my LG C1 65" OLED's BFI(MotionPro HIGH) for a few movies yesterday and that flicker....Man. I mean, I understand both plasma and CRT have it, but it looks more natural. the flicker on either isn't bothersome, as it isn't on my S60 plasma. But when i bounce back to my OLED using BFI, i can instantly see the strobing/pulsating effect, especially on whites and it's a bit too much for my eyes to adjust to, which in return makes the setting almost useless. In the LG C1's case, It makes game mode too dark and dim, and then you have to deal with BFI shadow detail crushing and near black gamma issues. It's a total mess. I'm sure with QD-OLED, like with the S95C, It's BFI will have more brightness under the hood at least, but the flicks i hear are still unbearable. So now we're back to that lousy 16ms motion persistence with 300p motion clarity. $3999 CAD for a 65" S95C, with motion clarity & persistence that's far inferior to a 1985 CRT Tube TV. ;)

I'd feel like a complete sucker forking over that much money. Maybe if it were $2999(cad) and i put about $1700 towards it after selling my 65" C1.

Clear Motion Seeker

Post by Clear Motion Seeker » 06 May 2023, 10:50

NeonPizza wrote:
03 May 2023, 23:13

The masses probably don't care because the vast majority have been so accustomed to buying crappy LCD & LED TV's ever since the demise of Plasma in 2014. :P They've grown accustomed to the slower motion response time of LCD & LED TV's, that OLED by comparison seems like a bit of an upgrade.
The average person doesn't give much importance about fidelity or seeking a kind of video that's as close as possible to reality. As long as it is eye-catching, it's good, even though their own contents are completely different from these very artificial and "perfect" (also usually slow) tech videos.

That's one of the reasons why plasma couldn't compete with LCD displays in stores, because the viewing conditions weren't in favor of the first one and it looked pale and dull in comparison.

Magic of marketing, an endless story.
I tried using my LG C1 65" OLED's BFI(MotionPro HIGH) for a few movies yesterday and that flicker....Man. I mean, I understand both plasma and CRT have it, but it looks more natural. the flicker on either isn't bothersome, as it isn't on my S60 plasma. But when i bounce back to my OLED using BFI, i can instantly see the strobing/pulsating effect, especially on whites and it's a bit too much for my eyes to adjust to, which in return makes the setting almost useless. In the LG C1's case, It makes game mode too dark and dim, and then you have to deal with BFI shadow detail crushing and near black gamma issues. It's a total mess. I'm sure with QD-OLED, like with the S95C, It's BFI will have more brightness under the hood at least, but the flicks i hear are still unbearable. So now we're back to that lousy 16ms motion persistence with 300p motion clarity. $3999 CAD for a 65" S95C, with motion clarity & persistence that's far inferior to a 1985 CRT Tube TV. ;)
I haven't tested an OLED TV in a long session so far, but the flicker effect induced by BFI isn't better than the flickering mode of my own mid-range Sony TV from 2013 (KDL-42W650), that i paid for less than 500 bucks.
The flickering effect looks very obvious and agressive when i switch between on and off, but i don't notice it that much anymore after a moment, as long as the main color is not white.

The problem is that it gets much dimmer and there's some "double-edge" effect that is probably tied to the LCD panel.

As the OLED is much better in this area, it would be better regarding display response time, but the lack of brightness is not acceptable.

While plasma's motion clarity isn't as crisp as CRT's, it's so much better compared to all sample-and-hold displays.

And, to date, it's still the best compromise between brightness, colors, contrast and motion clarity.
I'd feel like a complete sucker forking over that much money. Maybe if it were $2999(cad) and i put about $1700 towards it after selling my 65" C1.
Completely.

I'm thinking more and more about getting a plasma TV, maybe a Pioneer Kuro.

I know it's completely obsolete compared to modern standards such like 4K, HDR and other features like VRR for gaming, and while i wouldn't say they're gimmicks (they're not), they're severly altered (if not disabled) when BFI mode is activated. Therefore i couldn't care to get these extra features because they can't compensate for a lack of motion clarity.

No Smart TV (i couldn't care less, as they are not updated anymore after a few years and it's better to plug a Nvidia Shield for example), no very thin bezel, no 4K resolution, no HDR, no modern features, but a core picture that's still outstanding and which brings the essential.

tisurame

Post by tisurame » 06 May 2023, 13:47

06 May 2023, 10:50

I know it's completely obsolete compared to modern standards such like 4K, HDR and other features like VRR for gaming, and while i wouldn't say they're gimmicks (they're not), they're severly altered (if not disabled) when BFI mode is activated. Therefore i couldn't care to get these extra features because they can't compensate for a lack of motion clarity.

No Smart TV (i couldn't care less, as they are not updated anymore after a few years and it's better to plug a Nvidia Shield for example), no very thin bezel, no 4K resolution, no HDR, no modern features, but a core picture that's still outstanding and which brings the essential.
I'm still using a Plasma display to this day as my main TV (Panasonic VT60) and I'm completely satisfied with it.

Being in my room, with controlled lighting, brightness and contrast are never a problem.

But the main reason, as expected, is to be able to play games with much better motion resolution.

1080p is actually a big plus for me, since, as a PC gamer, since it's much less demanding than 4k. And Plasma only needs 60Hz to look amazing.

120Hz on a modern display looks good, but still worse than a Plasma. And most recent games on PC are struggling to reach a stable 60fps even with high powerful (and expensive) CPU and GPU. So, running at 120Hz is unthinkable (and even worse at 4k resolution).
Last edited by tisurame on 06 May 2023, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Clear Motion Seeker

Post by Clear Motion Seeker » 06 May 2023, 16:24

tisurame wrote:
06 May 2023, 13:47

I'm still using a Plasma display to this day as my main TV (Panasonic VT60) and I'm completely satisfied with it.

Being in my room, with controlled lighting, brightness and contrast are never a problem.

But the main reason, as expected, is to be able to play games with much better motion resolution.

Resolution is actually a big plus for me, since, as a PC gamer, 1080p is much less demanding than 4k. And Plasma only needs 60Hz to look amazing.

120Hz on a modern display looks good, but still worse than a Plasma. And most recent games PC are struggling to reach a stable 60fps even with high powerful (and expensive) CPU and GPU. So, running at 120Hz is unthinkable (and even worse at 4k resolution).
That's also my reasoning. Despite being obsolete theorically speaking, there are so many benefits to own a plasma display.

Yes 120 fps is even more fluid and responsive than 60, but it's not as night-and-day as 30 vs 60.

Yes 4K is much sharper than 1080p, but the latter is already sharp and the motion clarity is so much better on a plasma.

After all motion is a key factor of TV and monitors, we don't want giant digital photo frames.

If only we could build our ideal monitors from scratch, designed and tailored to suit our needs and expectations...but i'm dreaming too much.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 09 May 2023, 21:10

NeonPizza wrote:
03 May 2023, 23:13

The average person doesn't give much importance about fidelity or seeking a kind of video that's as close as possible to reality. As long as it is eye-catching, it's good, even though their own contents are completely different from these very artificial and "perfect" (also usually slow) tech videos.

That's one of the reasons why plasma couldn't compete with LCD displays in stores, because the viewing conditions weren't in favor of the first one and it looked pale and dull in comparison.

Magic of marketing, an endless story.
I haven't tested an OLED TV in a long session so far, but the flicker effect induced by BFI isn't better than the flickering mode of my own mid-range Sony TV from 2013 (KDL-42W650), that i paid for less than 500 bucks.
The flickering effect looks very obvious and agressive when i switch between on and off, but i don't notice it that much anymore after a moment, as long as the main color is not white.

The problem is that it gets much dimmer and there's some "double-edge" effect that is probably tied to the LCD panel.

As the OLED is much better in this area, it would be better regarding display response time, but the lack of brightness is not acceptable.

While plasma's motion clarity isn't as crisp as CRT's, it's so much better compared to all sample-and-hold displays.

And, to date, it's still the best compromise between brightness, colors, contrast and motion clarity.
Completely.

I can't wrap my head around the people that get ecstatic over Dolby Vision & HDR strictly in terms of movie/TV watching. You're sacrificing motion clarity & persistence with both since using BFI defeats the purpose for both formats. You can't have it both ways. :P You CAN get HDR + 120fps when gaming, with zero sacrifices and if the HDR is actually quality HDR, then you're good to go! But with Movie/TV watching it's a double edge sword. I don't care how beautiful the DV or HDR looks, because the motion will just look sloppy and artificial.

At this point, in terms of movie/TV watching on HD TV's, overall, plasma is still king for those that actually value motion. far less flicker(looks natural), up to 1080p motion clarity & below 8ms persistence depending on the plasma, and noticeably less film Judder. Plus 1080p Blur-rays look better than on a 4K TV since there's zero upscaling, and there's less upscaling with DVD's.

But ya, I'm throwing in the towel with my LG C1's Motion Pro HIgh/BFI setting just because the flicker is eye straining and super agressive on whites. If that weren't the case, and it delivered flicks in line with plasma or if they were just slightly worse I'd be content. BFI on my TV has near black gamma issues and excess shadow detail crushing, both both can be improved with a pro calibration. But you're still left with choppy film judder. It just makes certain character movements and panning shots look awful. Plasma has film judder too, but it's a lot smoother and more natural. Movies look more like movies on Plasma and CRT when all said and done.

I already feel like a sucker having forked over $3000 CAD for my LG C1 2 years ago. The colour volume and WRGB color in general are terrible unless you're opting for 'native' colour(which artificially changes the colour, but it's essential)but if you don't you're left with unsaturated lifeless colours which look absolutely terrible. This isn't an issue with QD-OLED, thankfully.

Plus the C1 has banding/gradient issues that aren't noticeable on my plasma. Sure my panny S60 can't get as bright as my Sony Wega trinitron CRT, nor can it match the 1ms motion persistence, but it's a hell of a lot more pleasing and natural to the eye than watching movies on any WRGB OLED. Yeah, the true blacks, brightness boost and whiter whites look beautiful on OLED, but i hate having to make sacrifices while upgrading in other areas.

Ideally, i wish i could magically switch between a 65" Panasonic ST60(or Kuro) for Movies/TV shows, and then to a 65" Samsung S95C QD-OLED for Nintendo Switch & PS5. Game mode's motion interpolation option can improve motion drastically by forcing an artificial 120 for any 60fps title with just under 20ms of latency. That's a BIG selling point for somebody like me. Unfortunately, it's BFI still has nasty flicker and according to owners isn't viable for movies/TV. Another big blow, which is why I would only be willing to buy the S95C once it goes on sale.

I'd probably have to spend an additional 2 grand, if i opt for an open box sale, while selling off my 65" C1 for around $1700 CAD to just score the 65" S95C.

lol...By the Time Micro-LED(Since they'll have a lot more brightness to spare for BFI) becomes affordable, and TV manufactures actually TRY with BFI, and possibly deliver a 1ms motion persistence, 1080p+ motion clarity, with less film judder and BFI flicks I'll probably won't even care by that point. Seeing as how advanced AR & VR will be with companies like Apple etc.

The PSVR2's motion persistence(with brightness slider set to zero) is FAR better than ANY OLED using BFI on the market. I could of sworn that i read it was around 2ms...I've seen it first hand and it's very very good. But it isn't practical nor comfortable watching movies with a big chunky VR headset on your head. :P.....Apple VR is entirely different story, which would absolutely work! ;)