Experiencing ghosting with OLED?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
welcomess

Experiencing ghosting with OLED?

Post by welcomess » 28 Dec 2023, 14:29

Hi would like to firstly say i appreciate all responses and any assistance at all with this. I recently went from a Samsung g7 240hz 1440p VA monitor (which I thought had terrible ghosting) and upgraded to the LG 27 inch Oled 240hz 1440p thinking that OLED would be the cure to all my issues.

I've posted 2 previous threads regarding ghosting and getting some recommendations on monitors and if what I was experiencing was ghosting.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12684
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12738

The settings I am using in this video linked below are as follows
Nvidia 3d settings | https://imgur.com/a/BZbcHAb
GSync on | 240hz on | Vsync on | Display port connected|

My computer specs are as follows
Geforce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Intel Core i9 10850k
z490 vision g
32gb corsair c16 ddr4
EVGA 750w gold psu

Multiple videos of my issues.
Most recent video recorded on OLED | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fexAVGdq0AA
Old videos recorded on Samsung g7 | https://youtu.be/J-6wYErl3Hk | https://youtube.com/shorts/-lbT9KCw8pI?feature=share

I was really thinking OLED would be the absolute cure to my issues I've been having over the past few years but it hasn't solved it. I've upgraded my computer since back in the day when I had this issue on my old monitor (Asus pg258q) thinking it could be hardware but I'm not sure it is. The weird phenomenon not sure if anyone has also encountered this but it seems whenever a game I play has a game update IE new season or new patch my game runs silky smooth and I see no ghosting at all but as soon as I reboot the game its back to the unsmooth gameplay linked above. Any settings at all or recommendations will be very much appreciated and if a fix or make it ANY BETTER can be found I will be eternally grateful for you and in debt to you

jorimt

Re: Experiencing ghosting with OLED?

Post by jorimt » 28 Dec 2023, 18:05

welcomess wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 14:29
Can't really tell what you're referring to by the video itself, and I also can't presume what form of ghosting you're personally counting as the issue, but there are multiple causes to "double images," one of which is the Stroboscopic Effect:
https://blurbusters.com/the-stroboscopi ... -displays/

Said effect is caused by finite refresh/framerate ratios (which is the case on virtually every display in existence), and can actually be more apparent the faster the pixel response of the display is.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 29 Dec 2023, 03:17

jorimt wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 18:05
welcomess wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 14:29
Can't really tell what you're referring to by the video itself, and I also can't presume what form of ghosting you're personally counting as the issue, but there are multiple causes to "double images," one of which is the Stroboscopic Effect:
https://blurbusters.com/the-stroboscopi ... -displays/

Said effect is caused by finite refresh/framerate ratios (which is the case on virtually every display in existence), and can actually be more apparent the faster the pixel response of the display is.
That does indeed look like what I’m experiencing, it’s more just double images of stuff in games if moving the camera fast, makes it pretty hard to play FPS game or fast paced games. It is very strange how the issue goes away after a update for that period of time then comes back the next time I play after closing the game..

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Dec 2023, 08:17

welcomess wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 03:17
It is very strange how the issue goes away after a update for that period of time then comes back the next time I play after closing the game..
One thing that I can say for sure is that the stroboscopic effect can't "go away" or "come back."

To be clear, no matter what you're experiencing, any display will exhibit doubling if you move your mouse in those patterns and at that speed. The only way you won't notice it as much in those circumstances is if the game is applying some form of post-process camera motion blur that is blending the frames (which you can try in Fortnite), and/or the pixel response time of your monitor is so slow, it's partially masking it with smearing (which won't happen on OLED).

I'm not sure where people get the assumption that they can spastically move the camera around at any speed in any pattern and still get perfect motion clarity without some level of image doubling. That's just not and never has been a thing, even on CRT.

So I can only assume if your issue is truly coming and going, you're not referring to the "normal" levels of doubling at high/fast panning speeds as much as you're referring to an artifact within that doubling, which, again, isn't immediately obvious in your videos.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 29 Dec 2023, 09:17

What happened is that OLED is overrated for gaming. What you need is a monitor that is well known for fps gaming.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Dec 2023, 09:41

babooz99 wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 09:17
What happened is that OLED is overrated for gaming. What you need is a monitor that is well known for fps gaming.
Virtually every OLED monitor available has the best possible non-strobed sample-and-hold motion clarity (aka GtG) of any monitor at its given refresh rate, whether it's versus an ultra fast IPS or TN. That fact is not debatable.

But you still have a point if you're referring to strobing and higher than 240Hz refresh rate support, which current-gen OLED monitors are still limited in.

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 29 Dec 2023, 11:40

babooz99 wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 09:17
Main reason I decided for this monitor was the reviews were phenomenal for gaming with a majority of reviews stating it was “ghost less” which immediately got me interested as I was aware my issue was ghosting on my VA Samsung g7 panel.

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 29 Dec 2023, 11:41

jorimt wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 08:17
welcomess wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 03:17
It is very strange how the issue goes away after a update for that period of time then comes back the next time I play after closing the game..
One thing that I can say for sure is that the stroboscopic effect can't "go away" or "come back."

To be clear, no matter what you're experiencing, any display will exhibit doubling if you move your mouse in those patterns and at that speed. The only way you won't notice it as much in those circumstances is if the game is applying some form of post-process camera motion blur that is blending the frames (which you can try in Fortnite), and/or the pixel response time of your monitor is so slow, it's partially masking it with smearing (which won't happen on OLED).

I'm not sure where people get the assumption that they can spastically move the camera around at any speed in any pattern and still get perfect motion clarity without some level of image doubling. That's just not and never has been a thing, even on CRT.

So I can only assume if your issue is truly coming and going, you're not referring to the "normal" levels of doubling at high/fast panning speeds as much as you're referring to an artifact within that doubling, which, again, isn't immediately obvious in your videos.
I have researched quite a bit into ghosting and “blurry” effects overall and have read about aliasing causing some sort of blurry vision not sure if that’s what I also could be dealing with. I’m really not sure at all if it’s hardware or software or maybe even placebo but it drives me crazy. I appreciate the in-depth responses and replys trying to assist me :)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Dec 2023, 13:30

welcomess wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 11:41
I have researched quite a bit into ghosting and “blurry” effects overall and have read about aliasing causing some sort of blurry vision not sure if that’s what I also could be dealing with.
There are many causes of and contributors to "ghosting," most of which include:

1. GtG/overdrive (aka pixel response times, reduced by newer LCDs with faster panels and more optimal overdrive tuning, or OLED).
2. MPRT (aka image persistence time, reduced by strobing and/or higher refresh/frameratio ratios).
3. Stroboscopic effect (aka image doubling, reduced by higher refresh/frameratio ratios).
4. Post-process effects (aka "Motion Blur," "Camera Motion Blur," or "Per Object Motion Blur" in-game settings).
5. TAA/RT/IR/FG artifacts (aka ghosting, smearing, and other motion artifacts caused by in-game temporal anti-aliasing, ray-tracing, image reconstruction like DLSS and FSR, and or frame generation settings).

Your OLED should have virtually none of #1, but retains an amount of #2 and #3, like most displays, due to its sample-and-hold nature and a finite achievable refresh/framerate ratio.

#4 and #5 will vary by game.

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 29 Dec 2023, 14:11

What model is it