How do OLEDs with/without BFI compare to gaming monitors?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
motionsofclarity

Re: How do OLEDs with/without BFI compare to gaming monitors?

Post by motionsofclarity » 29 Nov 2023, 10:01

Sorry for necroing, but I'm sitting in front of a Corsair 27QHD240 right now kind of new to blur busting.
- You Cannot Read Street Name Labels On This Animation On ANY OLED without BFI <-- TRY THIS!
I can actually read this fine, even the small roads, but it does hurt my eyes a bit - or it's very fatiguing I'm not sure how to put it. I guess ULMB 2 would greatly improve on this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2023, 20:44

Updated 2023 Information
motionsofclarity wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 10:01
Sorry for necroing, but I'm sitting in front of a Corsair 27QHD240 right now kind of new to blur busting.
- You Cannot Read Street Name Labels On This Animation On ANY OLED without BFI <-- TRY THIS!
I can actually read this fine, even the small roads, but it does hurt my eyes a bit - or it's very fatiguing I'm not sure how to put it. I guess ULMB 2 would greatly improve on this?
That is an old post you replied to. I wrote that before 240Hz OLEDs existed.

Now 240Hz OLEDs let you barely read the street name labels. But it's still not as clear as the "Paused" setting. Full blur reduction means fast-motion is exactly as perfectly clear as stationary.

As a rule of thumb, you can go up to roughly (2xHz) pixels per second before you start seeing noticeable blur around text, and you can just about barely read text up to about (4xHz). Beyond that, it's just a blurry mess.

Assuming GtG=0 (essentially) and framerate=Hz:

Clear text on OLED without BFI:
480pps at 240Hz OLED
720pps at 360Hz OLED
960pps at 480Hz OLED

Barely readable text OLED without BFI:
~960pps at 240Hz OLED
~1440pps at 360Hz OLED
~1920pps at 480Hz OLED

Blurry text on OLED without BFI:
>960pps at 240Hz OLED
>1440pps at 360Hz OLED
>1920pps at 480Hz OLED

This is because Blur Busters Law dictates 1ms of pixel visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec
- Pixel visibility time = frametime on sample and hold
- Pixel visibility time = pulsewidth on BFI/strobed.

Why Twice Motion Speed In Pixels/Sec versus Refresh Rate?
- It's actually surprisingly simple blur mathematics that Blur Busters has discovered, for perceptuals.
- At frame rate half the refresh rate, there's approximately 2 pixels of motion blur, which perceptually shows up to the eyes as half pixelwidth of motion blur at leading edge (the midpoint of a 1-pixel blur gradient), and half pixelwidth of motion blur at trailing edge (the midpoint of a 1-pixel blur gradient).
- That's why things look so clear until motionspeeds more than twice the OLED refresh rate.

Be noted, LCDs have it worse due to slow GtG. OLEDs are fantastic for strobeless blur reduction, via brute framerate-based approach of reducing display motion blur. As long as your GPU can spray the needed frame rate.

But, now that OLEDs are 240Hz+, they are absurdly fantastic blur reduction alternatives, if you hate strobing, and if you can spray the needed frame rate, or if you use add external BFI injection (e.g. the Blur Busters Approved Retrotink 4K)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

haku

Post by haku » 06 Dec 2023, 10:16

By pps do you mean how fast is the text moving sideways? Or is it some other measure? And how would that compare to the LED panels with BFI on/off. e.g. here's an image comparison of some of the high end monitors
hz comparison.PNG
hz comparison.PNG (3.24 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
. In order to reach the performance of the PG248QP with ULMB 2 on how many frames should an OLED monitor push out per second? Looking at this image I would estimate it at around 1000hz but I'm no expert at this and so I can't really tell

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2023, 12:16

1. Correct. PPS = Pixels Per Second = motion sideways on the screen on any direction

2. Correct. 1000fps 1000Hz is the ballpark that makes strobing essentially obsolete for PC gaming. To get such frame rates, we will need to use lagless framegen at 10:1 ratios (www.blurbusters.com/framegen)

However, OLED motion looks so clean that many will prefer OLED at 480fps 480Hz than ULMB2 due to having HDR and full brightness (as unstrobed), and with zero strobe crosstalk. It even is lower persistence (1/480sec = 2.1ms) than many early strobe backlights like LightBoost (2.4ms).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!