Does flickering caused by DyAc hurt your eyes?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
kofman13

Does flickering caused by DyAc hurt your eyes?

Post by kofman13 » 10 Apr 2020, 14:01

I read some reviews on amazon from XL2546 owners saying DyAc caused flickering effect that caused eye strain. anyone notice this? i dont have a zowie monitor yet

DukeDice929

Re: Does flickering caused by DyAc hurt your eyes?

Post by DukeDice929 » 11 Apr 2020, 08:35

DyAc like other blur reduction mode can cause eye strain if you are sensitive to image flicker.
My bad English :0

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2020, 13:43

Everybody is different.

-- Some people are blur sensitive
-- Some people are flicker sensitive
-- Some people are blue-light sensitive
-- Some people are bright-light sensitive
-- Some people are motion sensitive
-- Some people are artifact-sensitive (i.e. nausea from artifacts -- ghosting/corona etc)
-- Some people have more eyestrain from motion blur, than from strobe-backlight flicker

Occasionally, even high-Hz flicker can be a red herring for sensitivity to other artifacts. Some people get eyestrain from PWM-dimming but not from strobed VSYNC ON (fps=Hz). This is because the PWM duplicate-image artifacts are like a serrated knife to human eyes. So while some headaches are flicker-related -- other humans with headaches from PWM dimming isn't from the flicker itself but from the artifacts generated by the PWM dimming flicker. Strobing is a refresh-rate synchronized flicker that is ideally one flash per frame. This results in beautiful motion with a low-strobe-crosstalk blur reduction mode at frame rates matching refresh rates. Other times, all kinds of flicker create eyestrain / headaches for a human and you're stuck with non-strobed.

TL;DR: Eyestrain from flicker has more variables than you expect
There are some people who have no direct eyestrian from flicker, but strain from the artifacts.

Example unfixable artifact from PWM dimming:

Strobed fps=Hz can fix this:

- Some people can't tolerate flicker at all; but
- Some people simply can't tolerate the artifacts from "non fps=Hz" flicker.

Unless you're motion-blur sensitive, then you need an incredibly high nonstrobed frame rate and refresh rate (240fps at 240Hz+) as the blur reduction method, to compensate for flicker sensitivity and blur sensitivity. That's partially why we're big fans of future 1000 Hz displays as strobeless motion blur reduction.

Do not forget that DyAc can be turned on/off, so the BenQ stops flickering when DyAc is turned on/off. Motion blur reduction modes are typically an optional mode or can be overriden. You get more motion blur, but the flickering stop.

But again, everybody is different.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 12 Apr 2020, 11:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 13:43
Everybody is different.

-- Some people are blur sensitive
-- Some people are flicker sensitive
-- Some people are blue-light sensitive
-- Some people are bright-light sensitive
-- Some people are motion sensitive
-- Some people are artifact-sensitive (i.e. nausea from artifacts -- ghosting/corona etc)
-- Some people have more eyestrain from motion blur, than from strobe-backlight flicker

And as you said on other thread some are sensitive to coating on monitors (i say because i'm looking one with the "best" coating and is impossible to find info xD ).

Wish there were more (or any?) 1080p monitors for games with Plasma Deposition Coatings 1, 2, that seem to be (never saw one myself) a glossy without reflection (maybe like CRTs?) but only a couple of 5k use it, and nobody reviewed them :/ .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2020, 13:15

Coating / speckle / screendoor are also known display discomfort factors too. These don't affect everyone.

The bottom line, is displays are woefully imperfect windows of real life...

They can't carbon-copy the appearance of real life, and so we have to live with the side effects of displays.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!