My new 1080 144 Hz gives me motion sickness

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Latibound

My new 1080 144 Hz gives me motion sickness

Post by Latibound » 16 Jan 2021, 14:52

Hi everyone,
    Before hand I was using a 8 old led Phillip 248C brilliance monitor at 1080 60Hz. 24'
    I have also been using a Retina IPS screen on a macbook but not for gaming for the past 7 years.

I recently purchased a AOC 24G2u ,24', 1080 144hz IPS panel, it's my first 144Hz. I quickly realised that this monitor was inducing me quite a bit of visual discomfort, we all know the music , red eye , diziness ,tension etc.. Been trying to get used to it for the past week but I steel feel quite uncomfortable.
    So I went on to have a look on the internet and found out a bunch of poeple are experiencing the same issue, but especially with this monitor too.
    From the get go the monitor is flicker free (no PWM).

_The first step I took were to drastically reduce de brightness and make the picture appear warmer as IPS panels are very intense and might have contributed. It did help quite a bit , the eye redness and pain is way lower than what I used to be , but I still get the slight dizziness.
    I'm also running a medium overdrive on it.

I'm really wondering what would be the cause of it ?
    Would it be going from 60 to 144hz ?
    This discomfort is worse when I browse the internet or read on that monitor
    Also running my old 60hz next to the new 144hz makes me feel all kind of weird, it feels really bad to go from one to another.
    Looking at the screen from afar at weird angles also gives me some discomfort

Overall , if playing games like Doom at 144hz seem quite acceptable even if not optimal feeling wise , but working or reading is quite atrocious.

I have the possibility to return that screen , but then would probably be interested in a new one , with similar specs/price or 2k 144hz monitor for higher price.

Is there anything that I'm missing that could help me get better accustomed to the screen ( if it is possible?) or am I doomed to go on a crusade and test all screens out there ?

I thanks you in advance for your help.

Inco^

Re: My new 1080 144 Hz gives me motion sickness

Post by Inco^ » 17 Jan 2021, 00:33

Hi,
    maybe have a look to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7924
    PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV