I cannot use a display anymore?? Please help me find out devices I can use! PWM/BFI/Hz

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
lillo9546

I cannot use a display anymore?? Please help me find out devices I can use! PWM/BFI/Hz

Post by lillo9546 » 04 Feb 2021, 06:30

Hi! Sorry for any syntax or gramatic error, but I am not good at english. :)
I really need some help choosing a display that let me work, also get informed about how I have to choose based on technologies and How to adopt them into my workflow, that currently It is very uncomfortable.

A little introduction:
I am a 25 y.o guy, I am an Artist (Illustrator), and of course I love the possibilities that the "digital environment" give to the artist atm... but I cannot exploit them adequately because some problems that are occurring while I am using the "digital" medium display surface, instead of the "traditional" paper medium, which is totally fine. Since I was a child, I always had problems with digital screens such as the one on my old TV, pc Monitor, Nintendo DS, PSP, Smartphone... I never figured it out... but recently, at the age of 18, I have discovered the PWM thing, and I got informed about. My main problems are that I cannot focus on the "digital image" for short or long period on certain devices, but it also give me thoose symptoms: - dizziness - headhace - eyestrain - confusion -
No nausea for me if I stare at a normal monitor, but If I stay on the car while looking on the screen, I would get Nausea so hard, because I suffer from Motion Sickness. I do also have the symphtooms, with certain lights or lightspad that are in the office or at the supermarket...

So after that I started to learn about PWM and eventually search for devices with 0hz PWM. I found out iPhone 8 which is my current phone, and AOC q2577pwq monitor, Ipad Pro 12.9 2018. Thoose 3 devices are helping me a bit, but i really still struggle, expecially with the iPad Pro, even if that it is not using PWM, I dont know why there is something underneath disturbing me so hard.
Now that I learned about "PWM", I want also to learn about other things. I recently discovered "BFI" and "RefreshRate" that I think are very important and I want to try out some experiences with some devices. And I dont even know if it is the iPS technology that is giving me so much eyestrain, but even VA or TN gives me problems. Dont talk about OLED Displays, because the one's that uses PWM, are giving me hard problems like also "light residual image" like epilepsy things... Would you guys help me undestand the thing that is hurthing me so hard, and that wont let me work as a digital artist, or even live a normal life, because there are also some lights disturbing me?

Devices I would like to have, and need advice to buy:
- Monitor: I use a wacom intuos and Photoshop to maker digital art. If High Refresh rate would be fine, I dont care about speding money :)
- Smartphone: My iPhone 8 is pretty good, but if there is anything that would take me to the next step in terms of "vieweing" experience, thats ok
- TV: I have to buy also a TV and I saw that ther is the LG OLED BX series. Is that any good? Which other you advice?

Please help me getting devices I can work with :)

ps: I tried yet (without success): Blue Light filtering eyeglasses, Eink Display, Monitor Calibration.

dadduu

Re: I cannot use a display anymore?? Please help me find out devices I can use! PWM/BFI/Hz

Post by dadduu » 09 Feb 2021, 18:24

Up for this guy.
I do have same problem

lillo9546

Re: I cannot use a display anymore?? Please help me find out devices I can use! PWM/BFI/Hz

Post by lillo9546 » 11 Feb 2021, 07:30

There is an app called OLEDSAVER that allow OLED Smartphone owners to have their display flickerfree.
It force the OLED display to go on 100% brightness, and it will apply a filter on it to lower the intensity., so you can use the smartphone like it has a brightness sensor.

Does this work for PWM sensitive peple, or not?
Does it be fickerfree?

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 13 Feb 2021, 01:57

lillo9546 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 07:30
There is an app called OLEDSAVER that allow OLED Smartphone owners to have their display flickerfree.
It force the OLED display to go on 100% brightness, and it will apply a filter on it to lower the intensity., so you can use the smartphone like it has a brightness sensor.

Does it be fickerfree?
I use a Samsung s20FE and always have OLED saver running. Before this phone I used a Samsung S7 with OLED saver. I have issues with PWM flicker so this software is a life saver for me. Motion blur is my biggest cause of eye strain though that's why the 120HZ S20 is the best phone I have ever owned.

lillo9546

Post by lillo9546 » 16 Feb 2021, 05:03

Jason38 wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 01:57
lillo9546 wrote:

Does it be fickerfree?
I use a Samsung s20FE and always have OLED saver running. Before this phone I used a Samsung S7 with OLED saver. I have issues with PWM flicker so this software is a life saver for me. Motion blur is my biggest cause of eye strain though that's why the 120HZ S20 is the best phone I have ever owned.
as Noteboocheck says on the s20FE:
"The display backlight flickers at 227.3 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 30 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting."

This mean that at 31% brightness you are pratically flickerfree??

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 18 Feb 2021, 18:25

lillo9546 wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 05:03
Jason38 wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 01:57
lillo9546 wrote:

Does it be fickerfree?
as Noteboocheck says on the s20FE:
"The display backlight flickers at 227.3 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 30 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting."

This mean that at 31% brightness you are pratically flickerfree??
You don't use the regular brightness anymore once you have OLED Saver installed. OLED Saver takes control of the brightness slider. I can move it to low or high and I get no eye pain from flicker. Everyone experiences flicker differently so hopefully you can try it out.