Head aches and Dizzy

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
headachedizzy

Head aches and Dizzy

Post by headachedizzy » 29 Sep 2023, 09:41

Hello, I need to use mac for work and recently purchased a M2 Macbook Air 15".

However, I can't work on the new macbook Air 15" because it gives me headaches and if I use it for more time, it causes me to get dizzy. This prompted me to try to figure out what is the cause.

I really would love to continue to use the macbook air, as it's a mac, which I need for work and portable, which I also need.

However, I don't know how to solve this problem. Any advice of finding the cause and finding a solution would be appreciated. As of now, I continue working on my 2012 13" Macbook Air, which I am being forced to upgrade, since the new programs do not run on it.

Products I tested:

- 15" M2 MacBook Air: Problem
- Late 2009 27" imac: Problem
- iPad Air 5th Gen: Few Issues
- 2012 13" Macbook Air: No problem
- QN65Q80AA: No Problem
- UN70TU7000: No Problem
- Dell E2311H: No Problem

Thank you

Dalek

Re: Head aches and Dizzy

Post by Dalek » 29 Sep 2023, 16:15

I'm going to guess it's probably PWM flicker? I'm not familiar with using Macs so I can't say for sure.

Maybe this post will help: https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookair/com ... daches_on/

headachedizzy

Post by headachedizzy » 01 Oct 2023, 13:00

People claim the M2 MacBook Air has no PWM, and I tried disabling auto brightness and putting it at 50% like the person stated, but no luck.

I am wondering if it's all IPS monitors. As that is when I first experienced the issue with a 2009 27" iMac with an IPS monitor. However, if it is, what is the solution and how do I test this theory?

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 01 Oct 2023, 19:51

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 10 Oct 2023, 15:02

This is a problem with almost all new built for mobile devices. Some people theorize it's due to dithering, which I doubt. I never had a problem with 6+2bit dither TN panels. Long story short, my eyes dislike the panels in most of these new devices.

Devices my eyes like
-------------------------
- 1st gen Ipad air 9.7" with LG IGZO IPS panel - probably the easiest display there is to look at for reading and higher contrast ratio than later 9.7" Ipads
- TN panel Nintendo 3ds
- DSI XL
- Skylake Asus Zenbook with AU optronics IPS panel (can look at this all day)
- Iphone 7 Plus (I only put this here because it's the least annoying Iphone screen to look at even though it's not in the same ballpark as the above three items)

Devices my eyes don't like
---------------------------------
- Pretty much every new iDevice
- Didn't like the PLS panel in Samsung's new A23 5G phone either (similar irritation to all the other new IPS's)
- Playstation Vita (better to look at then most phone displays but worse to look at in terms of irritation compared to TN 3ds and IPS DSI XL)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Oct 2023, 18:28

Thanks for the supplemental data.

I am considering opening an Ergonomics forum here, because of the big boom of niche display ergonomic issues (other than PWM and low blue light).

Try out a LG WOLED. It's so darn easy on my eyes. I discovered WOLED really helps with eyestrain for some people, but not all.

The white subpixel, while it affects HDR, produces a broad spectrum white that is fairly easy on the eyes -- and the WOLED doesn't have as much PWM as a new modern iPhone (which doesn't bother me, but does some people).

Now, you do need a bit of extra brute subpixels to make up for the text clarity problems of WOLED, but there are mitigations (e.g. MacType font rendering).

It won't help everyone's eyes (text clarity can be an eyestrain problem), but for some of the eyestrain patterns I see in this thread, LG WOLED is massively more eye-friendly than most PWM RGB OLEDs.

Yes, white subpixel, ugh.
But yes, white subpixel, yay for ergonomics.
Eye of the beholder.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!