Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2023, 02:07

rx7 wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 17:23
That's interesting. I can't find a good monitor that works. I've had screen intolerance issues for almost 4 years now. I was thinking of trying a older monitor or even a VA. Only screen I can tolerate is my Xiaomi 13t AMOLED screen with everything dark mode
How did 240 Hz OLEDs behave on your eyes? WOLED version and QD-OLED verison?
rx7 wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 16:48
I have the same exact issues with new screens I can't tolerate them at all, could you give me some info? For me the answers would be
Wait until I open a Display Ergonomics forum; it's a subtopic I am interested in as part of Blur Busters. It's a big rabbit hole.

There are some bigger posts I made covering about a dozen ergonomic issues, in some other threads.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rx7

Post by rx7 » 30 Nov 2023, 11:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Nov 2023, 02:07
rx7 wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 17:23
That's interesting. I can't find a good monitor that works. I've had screen intolerance issues for almost 4 years now. I was thinking of trying a older monitor or even a VA. Only screen I can tolerate is my Xiaomi 13t AMOLED screen with everything dark mode
How did 240 Hz OLEDs behave on your eyes? WOLED version and QD-OLED verison?
rx7 wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 16:48
I have the same exact issues with new screens I can't tolerate them at all, could you give me some info? For me the answers would be
Wait until I open a Display Ergonomics forum; it's a subtopic I am interested in as part of Blur Busters. It's a big rabbit hole.

There are some bigger posts I made covering about a dozen ergonomic issues, in some other threads.
So I haven't actually used WOLED or QDOLED.. this AMOLED is about all Ive used for OLED since this wicked screen intolerance issue. I will say that when I was screened for irlens syndrome, polarization and other uv/anti glare coatings did seem to bother me.

Gotcha I'll try to look back at your older posts. When do you plan on creating that forum?

Eyestrain 1

Post by Eyestrain 1 » 03 Dec 2023, 04:04

AllisterCreed wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 06:45

Here I want to point out that I can work as much as I want on my work laptop, even in dark rooms, and my eyes do not get tired. It is a Thinkbook with the IPS panel set to 60 hz 1920x1080.

I noticed the problem 2 years ago when I bought the LG 27GL850-B NanoIPS. I had symptoms of eye pain for 2 weeks, my vision was blurry. All it took was 5 minutes of looking at the screen. I lowered the brightness. It didn't do anything. Only halving the colours had some effect. Interestingly, my eyes got used to it over time and I could sit as much as I wanted again.
Maybe is problem with size, I have also eyestrain when I switch from laptop 15" to 27" IPS monitor?
With laptop never had problem with eyestrain..

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 04 Dec 2023, 09:25

Seems like this is becoming more of an issue lately. Maybe as we get older we become more sensitive to certain aspects of monitors. I had to ditch my XG2431 because of eyestrain, headaches and sick feeling. Right now I'm just using some cheap 32" LG tv I had laying around and it's much better on the eyes. I've also had the XL2411z and Omen x25, which never gave me any problems, kind of wish I stayed with the Omen over the XG24. Alienware AW2518Hf was by far the worst one I've had, that thing destroyed my eyes like no other.

I'm currently waiting on the QDOLED in January to try a new upgrade and sticking with this TV for now.

Eyestrain 1

Post by Eyestrain 1 » 04 Dec 2023, 10:07

yehaw wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 09:25
Seems like this is becoming more of an issue lately. Maybe as we get older we become more sensitive to certain aspects of monitors. I had to ditch my XG2431 because of eyestrain, headaches and sick feeling. Right now I'm just using some cheap 32" LG tv I had laying around and it's much better on the eyes. I've also had the XL2411z and Omen x25, which never gave me any problems, kind of wish I stayed with the Omen over the XG24. Alienware AW2518Hf was by far the worst one I've had, that thing destroyed my eyes like no other.

I'm currently waiting on the QDOLED in January to try a new upgrade and sticking with this TV for now.
TV is ok for watch videos but how is deal with reading text or engineering with CAD softwares that dont have scaling,isnt text and icons too small?

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 04 Dec 2023, 12:12

Eyestrain 1 wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 10:07
yehaw wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 09:25

TV is ok for watch videos but how is deal with reading text or engineering with CAD softwares that dont have scaling,isnt text and icons too small?
It's running at 1360x768, so everything is rather large due to such a low res being stretched on such a large screen space. I have it at about 5-6 feet away from where I sit and I have no issues reading text. It actually is quite surprising how clear it is for such low PPI and the colors are far better than the XG2431 IPS it replaced. Keep in mind, this is a 5 year old TV. It's also got a very nice semi-gloss coating, which I wish was more standard on monitors. Glossy sucks, matte sucks, semi-gloss is perfect middle ground.

If you have a TV laying around, give it a shot. Might give some relief from your current monitor while you shop around for something that doesn't destroy your eyes. I don't think its worth buying a TV solely for monitor usage.

Eyestrain 1

Post by Eyestrain 1 » 05 Dec 2023, 06:59

yehaw wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 12:12
It's running at 1360x768, so everything is rather large due to such a low res being stretched on such a large screen space. I have it at about 5-6 feet away from where I sit and I have no issues reading text. It actually is quite surprising how clear it is for such low PPI and the colors are far better than the XG2431 IPS it replaced. Keep in mind, this is a 5 year old TV. It's also got a very nice semi-gloss coating, which I wish was more standard on monitors. Glossy sucks, matte sucks, semi-gloss is perfect middle ground.

If you have a TV laying around, give it a shot. Might give some relief from your current monitor while you shop around for something that doesn't destroy your eyes. I don't think its worth buying a TV solely for monitor usage.

Why not buy TV if monitors cause eyestrain?

I never ever heard that someone has eyestrain from TV, I think the main reason is great distance from screen.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 05 Dec 2023, 08:01

Eyestrain 1 wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 06:59
yehaw wrote:

I never ever heard that someone has eyestrain from TV, I think the main reason is great distance from screen.
A lot of them are just bad for gaming in general, with slow response times, high input lag, low refresh rate, lacking sleep mode that's compatible with pc, etc. Maybe if you get one of the ones geared towards gaming it won't be so bad (I think I've read LG C2 is very good, but 42" is ridiculous for desktop monitor use imo), but the one I'm on now, it's very bad for fast paced games. I've been sticking to small indie games, like roguelikes, side-scrollers, etc - essentially games that don't have quick pans.

Eyestrain 1

Post by Eyestrain 1 » 05 Dec 2023, 08:16

yehaw wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 08:01
Eyestrain 1 wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 06:59
yehaw wrote:

A lot of them are just bad for gaming in general, with slow response times, high input lag, low refresh rate, lacking sleep mode that's compatible with pc, etc. Maybe if you get one of the ones geared towards gaming it won't be so bad (I think I've read LG C2 is very good, but 42" is ridiculous for desktop monitor use imo), but the one I'm on now, it's very bad for fast paced games. I've been sticking to small indie games, like roguelikes, side-scrollers, etc - essentially games that don't have quick pans.
42inch is not big if you look at from 3 or 4m distance, this is main idea for TV monitor move few meters back to avoid eyestrain,
I think biggiest problem with eyestrain is too small distance

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 05 Dec 2023, 08:27

Eyestrain 1 wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 08:16
42inch is not big if you look at from 3 or 4m distance, this is main idea for TV monitor move few meters back to avoid eyestrain,
I think biggiest problem with eyestrain is too small distance
Could be, but I don't think the majority of people that deep of a desk. The average desk depth is probably around <1m. Maybe if you get one of those tall TV stand, it might work out.