How many people here are aware of TAA blur?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How many people here are aware of TAA blur?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 06:29

Hybred wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:26
Well if the section is about "game graphics" both frame gen and those other topics would all be under that umbrella.
Agree. Room for that. I usually put about 10 words in a new topic title, and that phrase could most certainly be thrown in. But I want to also emphasize the temporal nature and advertise the boom of third party framegen options.

While it's included (spatial framegen in additional to temporal framegen, to increase frame rates) -- I kind of don't want to be overly focussed on non-temporal aspects of game graphics, so I'd like to emphasize the temporal aspects as Blur Busters mainly prefers to focus on temporals (GtG / MPRT / lag / VRR / Hz / motion clarity / stutter / sync technologies / framerate etc). Anything temporal, that is my brain's speciality. These topics are the types I have the most fun with, and kind of want to continue specializing. But yes, I need help.

Like perhaps "Game Graphics -- Including Frame Rate, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, TAA, Stutters" or whatever. Some highlights to 'steer' discourse to preferred temporal-domain topics that I'm expert at. Collateral non-temporal game graphics discussion would certainly be allowed but I kind of want the forum title to mostly emphasize the temporalness of Blur Busters.
Hybred wrote:
Do you want the forum created BEFORE those things take off or as soon as it does? That's really where the question lies at for me at least, what comes first the chicken or the egg?
Somewhere in between. I think "Later in 2024" will be the charm.
Hybred wrote:
The biggest benefit of creating it before is bringing awareness & potentially helping users out by sharing user end tips with each other, so that's up to you. I just suggested it as I have personally recieved questions from users who were confused about why Blur Busters doesn't tackle other things that effect motion clarity so I offered an explanation then a potential compromise/solution.
I hear you there. We can only pick so many blur busting battles; Blur Busters needs more help to battle more blur busting fronts, in both volunteer help (e.g. moderators) / paid help (e.g. article writers). That is something I intend to continue to work on resolving as time passes, it's a lot of three steps forward, two steps back going on, behind the scenes, as we exit the pandemic-era cutbacks...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jman54

Post by jman54 » 18 Jan 2024, 17:22

Hybred wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 13:06
Update: It turns out this post is just a copypasta of this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/s/j0Qyj6AYuB

So not sure if it's made in good faith or not due to copy and pasting, but their seems to be overlap with the subjects lately & we should all handle it with respect and care, as most of us hate both issues BUT some users may disagree about which ones worse.

However we shouldnt focus on that, that's not where the conversation should start - we shouldn't be putting the issues against each other & directly comparing them, if you do that it leads to debates and division. So do keep that in mind when replying, none of that matters & it's all subjective.
That's my reddit post!

Hybred
VIP Member

Post by Hybred » 19 Jan 2024, 17:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 06:29
Hybred wrote:
Well if the section is about "game graphics" both frame gen and those other topics would all be under that umbrella.
Agree. Room for that. I usually put about 10 words in a new topic title, and that phrase could most certainly be thrown in. But I want to also emphasize the temporal nature and advertise the boom of third party framegen options.

While it's included (spatial framegen in additional to temporal framegen, to increase frame rates) -- I kind of don't want to be overly focussed on non-temporal aspects of game graphics, so I'd like to emphasize the temporal aspects as Blur Busters mainly prefers to focus on temporals (GtG / MPRT / lag / VRR / Hz / motion clarity / stutter / sync technologies / framerate etc). Anything temporal, that is my brain's speciality. These topics are the types I have the most fun with, and kind of want to continue specializing. But yes, I need help.

Like perhaps "Game Graphics -- Including Frame Rate, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, TAA, Stutters" or whatever. Some highlights to 'steer' discourse to preferred temporal-domain topics that I'm expert at. Collateral non-temporal game graphics discussion would certainly be allowed but I kind of want the forum title to mostly emphasize the temporalness of Blur Busters.
Hybred wrote:
Do you want the forum created BEFORE those things take off or as soon as it does? That's really where the question lies at for me at least, what comes first the chicken or the egg?
Somewhere in between. I think "Later in 2024" will be the charm.
Hybred wrote:
The biggest benefit of creating it before is bringing awareness & potentially helping users out by sharing user end tips with each other, so that's up to you. I just suggested it as I have personally recieved questions from users who were confused about why Blur Busters doesn't tackle other things that effect motion clarity so I offered an explanation then a potential compromise/solution.
I hear you there. We can only pick so many blur busting battles; Blur Busters needs more help to battle more blur busting fronts, in both volunteer help (e.g. moderators) / paid help (e.g. article writers). That is something I intend to continue to work on resolving as time passes, it's a lot of three steps forward, two steps back going on, behind the scenes, as we exit the pandemic-era cutbacks...
I think removing vendor specific upscaling and just saying upscaler or upscaling is better as for name. It reduces the length

Game Graphics -- Including Frame Rate, Upscalers, TAA, Stutters

Or

Game Graphics -- Including Frame Rate, Post-Processing, Upscalers, TAA, Stutters

Also we have DF (Digital Foundry) making a video on TAA soon, should be coming out later this month due to our efforts to bring the attention of the problem to them. I expect after that video eyes from both developers and users will be on the issue, so maybe the correct time to tackle the issue will be sooner than you think/predict.
Join r/MotionClarity: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotionClarity/

Discussions of all things blur related from game graphics (TAA, Post-Processing FX) to displays (Persistence, GtG, Coatings)

Former AAA developer/contractor - community modder - anti-aliasing expert

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2024, 01:09

Hybred wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 17:10
Game Graphics -- Including Frame Rate, Upscalers, TAA, Stutters
I generally want the extra views for framegen so I'd mention all vendors as the string lengths is compact ("FSR, DLSS, XeSS" is horizontally compact and pulls in a LOT more users than the word "Upscalers"), so I will use industry terms if necessary.

But I could replace with "Frame Generation". Personaly, BTW, "Upscalers" doesn't remind me of DLSS, XeSS, FSR. Classical upscaling are logic-based rather than using true generation of extra pixels mimicking original detail (e.g. generative AI).

Then again, I'm all about classical scalers / line doublers of over twenty years ago. I was hired by Runco, TAW, Key Digital, etc, and was the creator of the world's first open source 3:2 pulldown deinterlacer! (Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20001215064 ... 32Spec.htm ...)

So, I prefer to use "Framegen" or "Frame Generation" which covers both spatial (adding extra pixels ala advanced AI-scalers / generative AI stuff) and temporal (interpolation, extrapolation, reprojection).

Also I realized I use the slash instead of commas for other topics, so it'd likely be formatted as:

Game Graphics -- Frame Rate / Stutters / Post-Processing / Frame Generation / TAA / Etc
Hybred wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 17:10
Also we have DF (Digital Foundry) making a video on TAA soon, should be coming out later this month due to our efforts to bring the attention of the problem to them. I expect after that video eyes from both developers and users will be on the issue, so maybe the correct time to tackle the issue will be sooner than you think/predict.
Perhaps I should accelerate to this month or next month.
When do they plan to do the TAA video?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!