Subforum addition [ideas are welcome]

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
mkenyon

Subforum addition [ideas are welcome]

Post by mkenyon » 18 Dec 2013, 13:59

As the forum expands and becomes a community, people will want an additional place to talk about other tech stuff. Be it the newest graphics cards, or overclocking their 4770K to make sure those frame times don't go below 8.3ms.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Subforum addition

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 14:49

I agree!
We're being very careful not to be "one of those forums" that has 20 empty topics of 0 posts each, so we'd rather get busy first before we split-up the topics. Busy forums are more fun! Know what I mean? :-)

We'll do this soon enough -- probably early 2014, likely. For now, we're not enforcing rules on offtopic posts in General (except removing China/Russla/Nigera spammers). I've renamed "General" to add "& More" to permit you to talk about *anything* computer/technology related. In due time, I'll certianly create these subforums if the traffic materializes as I hope/expect.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mkenyon

Post by mkenyon » 18 Dec 2013, 15:10

I know exactly what you mean. Good idea.

Neo

Post by Neo » 26 Dec 2013, 11:16

I think a "big tent" or "convergence" subforum that covers the common ground of the various use cases which high temporal resolution imaging and displays can serve, in addition to elite gaming, namely 1) High Frame Rate (HFR) cinema and video and 2) enhanced Graphical User Interfaces (GUI). A larger (and louder!) marketplace could leverage complimentary needs to gain a critical mass.

Myself, I'm not a gamer though I wouldn't mind a 240 Hz 4K version of Sonic Spinball. (I'm so Ye Olde School I spell it Ye Olde School.) My background and interest are Movie Magic and Special FX (Star Wars kid, summer 1977); general imaging and display art, science and technology; Virtual Reality (and that eventual Holodeck); advanced GUIs for HyperMedia (Ye Olde School HyperMedia ala Ted Nelson); and, ultimately our current only hope for near-VR: immersive next generation video technology.

I was thinking about this issue of convergence earlier, and was reminded about it when I happened upon some links after following the online discussions of Dolby's new "Better Pixels" initiative. The 100/120 Hz spec is getting some attention from the broadcast and UHDTV folks yet I doubt they have a clue about the already practical high speed displays being used in the hacker/gamer community.

Here's a link to a linkedin group for broadcasters: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Dynamika ... ta-5048880
And an example of the frame rate discussions there: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Tech-Com ... mp_5048880

This guy seems to get it: http://www.schubincafe.com/ http://www.schubincafe.com/2013/09/25/b ... -the-buck/

And I'm sure 120 Hz gamers know this site: http://www.hfrmovies.com/ although I chuckle at 48 Hz being "HFR" :)

So, how many High Hz gamers are waiting for native 100/120 fps video content?
Does any body else have ideas how High Hz gaming can mix with other technologies? ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Dec 2013, 12:28

Neo wrote:I think a "big tent" or "convergence" subforum that covers the common ground of the various use cases which high temporal resolution imaging and displays can serve, in addition to elite gaming, namely 1) High Frame Rate (HFR) cinema and video and 2) enhanced Graphical User Interfaces (GUI). A larger (and louder!) marketplace could leverage complimentary needs to gain a critical mass.

Myself, I'm not a gamer though I wouldn't mind a 240 Hz 4K version of Sonic Spinball. (I'm so Ye Olde School I spell it Ye Olde School.) My background and interest are Movie Magic and Special FX (Star Wars kid, summer 1977); general imaging and display art, science and technology; Virtual Reality (and that eventual Holodeck); advanced GUIs for HyperMedia (Ye Olde School HyperMedia ala Ted Nelson); and, ultimately our current only hope for near-VR: immersive next generation video technology.

I was thinking about this issue of convergence earlier, and was reminded about it when I happened upon some links after following the online discussions of Dolby's new "Better Pixels" initiative. The 100/120 Hz spec is getting some attention from the broadcast and UHDTV folks yet I doubt they have a clue about the already practical high speed displays being used in the hacker/gamer community.

Here's a link to a linkedin group for broadcasters: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Dynamika ... ta-5048880
And an example of the frame rate discussions there: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Tech-Com ... mp_5048880

This guy seems to get it: http://www.schubincafe.com/ http://www.schubincafe.com/2013/09/25/b ... -the-buck/

And I'm sure 120 Hz gamers know this site: http://www.hfrmovies.com/ although I chuckle at 48 Hz being "HFR" :)

So, how many High Hz gamers are waiting for native 100/120 fps video content?
Does any body else have ideas how High Hz gaming can mix with other technologies? ;)
Good ideas, though for now, the scope of both Area51 and General already covers this for now!

As I've mentioned above, I want to expand the forums at a reasonable pace, to avoid creating topic areas that will become dead too quickly. The forums are off to a good start in just only one week, so this may happen sooner than later.

Want to start a new thread about Mr. Schubin? I like that page, and his earlier blog entry about quantum image sensors (theoretical infinite-framerate camera capture sensors).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Neo

Post by Neo » 26 Dec 2013, 13:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Good ideas, though for now, the scope of both Area51 and General already covers this for now!
Okay. But maybe a shoutout to the UHDTV, HFR segments in the forum descriptions? The keywords could atleast grab some search engine traffic. ;)
Want to start a new thread about Mr. Schubin? I like that page, and his earlier blog entry about quantum image sensors (theoretical infinite-framerate camera capture sensors).
Don't know anything about him, just what I read today.
Not really sure how to start a generic "convergence" thread either, so I think it would be nice to wait and see if other forum members are into the idea and see what they know. Personally, I'm just at the "oh.muh.gawd where's my 120 Hz input cinema quality display already!" stage and waiting for others to jump on the bandwagon. A poll thread where interested members give feedback would seem like a smart idea. Maybe even a huge survey thread where everybody shares their holodeck tech fantasies. :lol:

Btw, here's a killer "convergence" app use case: full frame-rate, full-quality settings 120 Hz gameplay/tournament videos. HQ versions can be rendered off-line and be used like a VR Machinima Spectator Sport. Gamers must want the video infrastructure for that, and the general public would probably love CGI Gladiators considering how much they pay for CGI rocketsnails and toy cowboys. 8-)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Subforum addition [ideas are welcome]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2014, 18:50

Once the General forum hits 1000 posts, that is definitely when I am creating the Off Topic Lounge.

Alternative names for the Offtopic Lounge
- UFO Abduction Lounge.
- Alien Operation Room
- The Water Cooler
Etc.

I am open to other ideas of new subtopics, too (e.g. computer accessories) -- but obviously, I don't want to grow the forums too fast, because of the above reasons.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 11 Jan 2014, 04:04

I'd like to see a subforum dedicated to gaming. We could use it for discussions on how to get 120Hz working in games that don't like it, how Lightboost and G-sync affect specific games, etc. I do realize all these topics could fit in various places on the forum currently but it would be nice to have all the gaming threads in one place.

Edit: I'd also like to see a subforum for non-display hardware such as mice, keyboards, gamepads, even headphones.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2014, 01:47

So far, these would be the highest candidates, from a Blur Busters perspective:

"UFO Abduction Lounge" (offtopic lounge)
"Input Lag"
"Gaming"

Not all of them will all be added simultaneously, but will be added over time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 14:22

Due to emerging trends of input latency discussions, the next subforum I will be adding is "Input Lag", followed by the offtopic area (possibly "UFO Abduction Lounge" or another humorous title).