Chrome does not remember username and password

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
RealNC
Site Admin

Chrome does not remember username and password

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2014, 03:54

There seems to be some weird bug with the WordPress login (not the forum login, that one works fine.) Normally, Chrome remembers username and password when logging in. It recognizes that what you entered are login credentials. Not with http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-login.php though; it just doesn't work and Chrome never asks me to save the username and password.

Could this be changed?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Chrome does not remember username and password

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 20:26

Hello RealNC,
I made some changes last month; can you check if this works properly now?

Thanks!
Mark Rejhon
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Apr 2014, 04:08

Nope, it still doesn't offer to save my login credentials. This is quite annoying, since the requirements are quite hefty (10 characters minimum + upper-case/lower-case mix + numbers + special characters.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2014, 22:51

RealNC wrote:Nope, it still doesn't offer to save my login credentials. This is quite annoying, since the requirements are quite hefty (10 characters minimum + upper-case/lower-case mix + numbers + special characters.)
I do apologize -- As with lots of other websites, I've had to battle a lot of hacker break-in attempts, as well as spammers trying to spam comments. So I've had to strengthen the logins very significantly. There were some side effects of several of these modifications. Especially with all the security problems going around lately.

I will try to make some adjustments to make it possible to save login credentials; but it may now be time to consider a password manager (e.g. 1Password, etc) since it is gradually becoming necessary, with hackers now able to crack so many passwords lately. It even lets you create 30+ character random passwords that automatically get pasted automatically, unique password per website, and gets cloud-synced between all your PCs/Macs/iPads/iPhones/Android devices.

I know, I hate it, too! They break into one website, crack passwords for many logins, and try the same logins on other websites. It's no longer safe to reuse the same password like one used to on many sites. Most websites, including Blur Busters, get hundreds/thousands of hacker breakin attempts per day, using pre-cracked credentials from other websites broken in. (e.g. if your Macy account got broken into, they're probably trying to log into Amazon/Walmart using the same credentials, etc). As a result, Blur Busters no longer allows simple passwords.

I'm investigating other options in the longer term, to make the logins easier; including possibly automatically allowing Google logins / Facebook logins / Disqus logins. That said, this may take a few months.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2014, 05:42

I don't use password managers not only because they're a hassle, but because it's not important for me to feel protected against password cracking on forums. There's no sensitive information to be gained from my account here or in other forums :-) So even if my account gets "hacked", I don't really care.

On important sites (my email accounts, PayPal, Google Wallet, Steam) I use very strong and 100% unique passwords. They're few, so I have no trouble memorizing them. The problem only exists with the plethora of forums or other less important sites where I register.

I think that integrating the front page login with the forum login would be the way to go. There's really no point in having two different accounts for the same site.

I like how Phoronix does it:

http://www.phoronix.com

It even integrates articles with the forum. For example, if you want to comment on an article, it takes you to a thread in the forum. If you visit the forum first, there's always a link back to the front page article within the thread.

This means there's only one place where you can discuss the same thing, rather than two.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 07:36

RealNC wrote:I think that integrating the front page login with the forum login would be the way to go. There's really no point in having two different accounts for the same site.
This is a highly desired goal at Blur Busters. Eventually, this will happen (eventually!).