Japanese Spam

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
Neo

Japanese Spam

Post by Neo » 30 Dec 2013, 15:08

I volunteer next time sucky racist spammer come 'round that it's AWESOME! but it's not awesome because I'm not stupid. But yeah end of the world stupid. But serious no body gets the references. That girl is really stupid.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Japanese Spam

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Dec 2013, 15:33

[Your post is in reference to the spam messages that appeared recently in various asian languages -- all of them since removed]

It's hopefully reduced/mostly solved now.

We try to remove these [asian spam, nigerian spam, etc] messages quickly. I've found sometimes they register, wait two weeks, and then they spam. These use an automated means of forum registration, which try to create a mass of new accounts, and let them sit around, then they begin spamming eventually. That kind of forum spam is automated these days.

Fortunately, I've strengthened up the registration system with two different challenge questions, so future spammers will have a bit of a tougher time making it through. We'll likely be adding more moderators in the next few weeks, as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Neo

Post by Neo » 01 Jan 2014, 17:00

My engrish wasn't too racist was it? :p

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 12:17

Our forum is all-inclusive.

Of course, except for the spammers that posted hundreds of automated foreign-language messages about things like herbals, viagara, and other stuff, that we had to delete...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jan 2014, 22:27

Most of the IPs used by spammers are already blacklisted by stopforumspam (http://www.stopforumspam.com). There should be a phpbb mod to prevent them from even entering the site.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2014, 22:50

Fortunately, we have exercised a number of security measures to prevent these... I missed one remaining spammer -- left their account idle for more than a week (one registered before security measures were implemented, but left account to idle at first), and then suddenly started spamming.