Thinking of buying a VR Headset or Projector to experience Backlight Strobing at 60HZ for fighting games like SF6

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Supermodel_Evelynn

Thinking of buying a VR Headset or Projector to experience Backlight Strobing at 60HZ for fighting games like SF6

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 14 Jan 2024, 12:09

I had a Viewsonic XG2431 it's blurr buster 2.0 certified which doesn't mean much

It does have less blurr but if you want the good option that actually eliminates the blur at 60HZ you will be using PureXP ultra which is only 23 nits and is worthless even in a dark room in fact the option above that is 73 nits which is just was worthless.

Normal and light are 163 and 200 nits respectively but too blurry to justify, at which point you are better off just disabling BFI to begin with as its very close to non BFI mode plus you can use VRR so disabling BFI you not only get almost the same blur but you get the added benefit of VRR so I sold the Viewsonic and am so glad I back my money.

So I am back to square one playing games in 2023 Retro and modern fighting games locked at 60 FPS where real CRT no longer exist.

So my 2 other options seem to be either a Gaming Projector or a VR Headset and in the VR Headset I could use a giant cinema screen that potentially has perfect BFI?

What is the experience like?

I currently use a Gigabyte M27Q P monitor 1440P and 165HZ it's a really good monitor but it ain't a CRT

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of buying a VR Headset or Projector to experience Backlight Strobing at 60HZ for fighting games like SF6

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2024, 17:20

Remember you need framerate=Hz to remove strobe crosstalk double images, because of:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12911&p=100755

P.S. As a hobby turned business, the above links shows how much work I put into XG2431 in reducing strobe crosstalk for things like panning/turning/scrolling (might not be the same blur reduction use case as a fighting game, sadly). Sometimes XG2431 only helps more with certain games that does more eye tracking, due to the factors in this post, where displays behave very different for stationary characters versus moving characters. So sometimes fighting games may not benefit as much as DOTA2 (e.g. www.testufo.com/framerates-versus animation) from strobing, as one of the many examples;

So if you hate double images, make sure you buy a VR headset that can be configured to match the frame rate of your fighting game. Quest 2 VR headset can use SideQuest settings to force your VR games to 60Hz, 72Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz or 120Hz. Otherwise, you get double image problems (many fighting games are capped 60 or 120). Also, remember VR LCDs might have a little bit more latency than XL2566K, so make sure your human reaction time improvements exceeds the display latency increases (latency ROI includes human reaction time, where lower motion blur sometimes increases display lag but speeds up human reaction time -- XL2566K has more lag too when DyAC is enabled than when disabled, but it's a very tiny millisecond-scale lag. For many games, human reaction time improvements exceeds the display lag increase). Brightness is also another understandable factor.

If your fighting game is capable of 480Hz, consider a strobeless route:
viewtopic.php?f=25&p=100758

For that, 2ms MPRT is not quite CRT clarity, but it is potentially (somewhat) lower average lag than XL2566K strobing. Reviewers will need to test. So it's a tradeoff (pro versus cons). There's a lot of pick-poisons involved in the science of motion blur reduction.

Now if you buy a VR headset, considerations:
- Latency
- Refresh rate
- Motion clarity
- Brightness (VR headsets are only ~100 nits)

It's brighter because you're immersed in darkness, and your eyes adjust to 100 nits as if it was 300 nits, so it doesn't look that dim. However, some models of VR headset is dimmer than an XG2431 at PureXP Ultra.

VR LCDs has the best "default out of the box max-Hz without configuring" motion clarity I've seen from LCDs, due to the giant money (Facebook $$$$$$ and Valve $$$$$$) spent on superlative low-motion-clarity LCDs with zero crosstalk. I highly recommend them if your #1 numero uno priority is motion clarity above other priorities. Desktop LCDs usually can never come close to VR LCDs in CRT motion clarity!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Re: Thinking of buying a VR Headset or Projector to experience Backlight Strobing at 60HZ for fighting games like SF6

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 14 Jan 2024, 20:06

Awesome thanks for the response, so I decided on buying the Meta Quest 2 to use for CS GO, DOTA 2, Valorant and Street Fighter 6.

But I have a question how am I going to use this VR headset for these games? does it just work as is or do I need a special app where I can load up a cinema room with seats and have a giant projector screen infront of me? is that also an option?

Or do I just put on the VR Headset and I can just start playing games as if it was a monitor and have perfect CRT like 0 blur?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2024, 20:09

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 20:06
Awesome thanks for the response, so I decided on buying the Meta Quest 2 to use for CS GO, DOTA 2, Valorant and Street Fighter 6.

But I have a question how am I going to use this VR headset for these games? does it just work as is or do I need a special app where I can load up a cinema room with seats and have a giant projector screen infront of me? is that also an option?
Yep, that's right, you need an app.

Use Virtual Desktop or BigScreen for the "virtual cinema" that can double as a computer monitor. You can change the theme to things like a computer room, a floating screen, or other.

- To simulate computer monitors, install Remote Desktop or BigScreen app (follow their instructions)
- To change VR refresh rate, install SideQuest (otherwise you're locked to 90Hz or 120Hz)

You have to connect the PC to the VR headset via the app. For best quality, use a USB cable from the computer instead of streaming over WiFi. Don't forget to change your PC refresh rate to sync to your VR refresh rate, for smoothest experience!

I did warn you about latency and brightness in advance; While it's stunningly CRT motion-clear, it's a slightly laggier than direct-view esports displays or CRTs.

I recommend you install:

- Oculus Desktop
- SideQuest
- Virtual Desktop
- BigScreen
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!