BenQ XL2411T lightboost on non-native resolution?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
vasia

BenQ XL2411T lightboost on non-native resolution?

Post by vasia » 26 Apr 2017, 14:59

Model: XL2411T with v4 firmware
Display Card: R9 270
Desktop resolution: 1920x1080@144hz

The only game I play is CSGO and the only resolution I want to play with is 1280x960 (stretched). I had created 1280x960@120hz with VT1500 by using ToastyX CRU. However, I can't really tell if the VT tweak was really activated or not. I can't really notice the screen become dimmer which it supposed to be. So here's some questions:

1. How can I confirm that the VT tweak is actually working or not? After I've done the CRU stuff and I launch game, OSD current resolution shows 1920x1080@120hz (which I am using 1280x960@120hz with GPU scaling stretched it to full screen)

2. Is GPU scaling a must to activate VT tweak?

Lot of thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2411T lightboost on non-native resolution?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2017, 19:43

Large Vertical Totals are mainly worth it for BENQ's brands of Blur Reduction, rather than NVIDIA's brand of Blur Reduction (LightBoost, ULMB).

There's multiple brands of Blur Reduction. Right now, Large Vertical Totals doesn't really help LightBoost/ULMB -- it only helps the BENQ-branded Blur Reduction on the Z-Series (XL2411Z rather than XL2411T).

Large Vertical Totals are usually chiefly advantageous when using Blur Reduction. Check out my brand new thread: Why does "Large Vertical Totals" Improve quality of Blur Reduction?

To confirm VT tweak is working, use full screen framerate-refreshrate locked panning such as TestUFO Alien Invasion, and make sure you're able to push the strobe crosstalk double-image zone off the bottom edge of the screen. You're more easily able to do that with larger Vertical Totals.

NOTE: This probably isn't happening -- but untested -- Longshot, but there might be a small chance of slightly reduced input lag with Large Vertical Totals with LightBoost -- LightBoost uses partial buffering before accelerated scanout. By delivering frames faster to the monitor using a higher dotclock, they can be scanned-out sooner and then strobed sooner -- but we need to test input lag on this situation. A precision input lag test will need to be done to determine if VT1500 manages to shave approximately ~2-3ms off LIghtBoost lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2411T lightboost on non-native resolution?

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Apr 2017, 01:35

tl;dr: use GPU scaling to use Lightboost at lower than native resoutions.

is this monitor a BENQ XL2411Z or a benq XL2411T ?

XL2411T can use VT tweaks only due to a bug in the scaler (the same reason actually why VT tweaks work on Benq blur reduction (A benq enginner actually told me the reason our VT tweaks work is due to a bug in the hardware (because Lightboost's accelerated scanout uses the VT 1497-1502 equivalent range).

Lightboost uses the equivalent (at 120hz) of Benq blur reduction with a Strobe duty of 009, strobe phase of 000, and Vertical Total in the range of 1497-1502. (Pretty much identical pixel for pixel). At 100hz, things are a bit different; there is more strobe crosstalk at the top of the screen with benq blur reduction (Duty 009, phase 000, VT 1500) than lightboost, because for some reason, increasing the strobe duty on a Benq monitor shifts the crosstalk at the top and bottom of the screen downwards (but to a much lesser degree than changing strobe phase). Anyway, it's impossible to use a large vertical total with Lightboost because Lightboost (which uses the internal range of VT 1497-1502 equivalent of BBR with the VT Tweak) uses a custom VT just to enable itself. (VT 1138 at 100hz, VT 1149 at 120hz). On Nvidia video cards, you can enable double strobed lightboost at 60-85hz by just enabling "keep display in 3d mode--always". On AMD Videocards, you can use VT 1155-1179, depending on monitor to enable 60hz double strobed lightboost.