G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Motion blur eliminating strobe backlights found in gaming monitors. This includes NVIDIA LightBoost, Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB), EIZO Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight utility, etc.

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jul 2017, 15:40

masterotaku wrote:And holy shit! This monitor is a lot brighter in Lightboost mode. It has a Lightboost option in 3D, but for some unknown reason it doesn't change strobe length at all, so it just acts as brightness and there isn't any reason to use anything other than 100%. I'm a bit mad about this, because I wanted lower motion blur.

So the adjustments LightBoost 10% through 100% just acts as brightness, and doesn't adjust strobe length / motion clarity? No difference in TestUFO Panning Map Test at very high speeds?

How does LightBoost compare to ULMB specifically for PG278QR, including strobe crosstalk? There's a new test dedicated URL for crosstalk now: www.testufo.com/crosstalk
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby Falkentyne » 12 Jul 2017, 16:08

Sounds like a bug on 3d capable ULMB monitors. Wouldn't be surprised as Lightboost was probably just left for compatibility reasons.
Falkentyne

Postby masterotaku » 16 Jul 2017, 10:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:So the adjustments LightBoost 10% through 100% just acts as brightness, and doesn't adjust strobe length / motion clarity? No difference in TestUFO Panning Map Test at very high speeds?

Exactly. There isn't any difference in motion blur. And the slider is in the same OSD position as the brightness slider in ULMB mode (inside the "Color" section and not "Image", where ULMB pulse width is). I tried to bug the monitor into letting me enter the ULMB pulse width slider in Lightboost mode, and I could (letting the monitor switch modes with the OSD open and being inside an slider), but it's always at maximum and I can't change it.

Chief Blur Buster wrote:How does LightBoost compare to ULMB specifically for PG278QR, including strobe crosstalk? There's a new test dedicated URL for crosstalk now: http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk

Mmmm, I'd say ULMB is a bit better regarding crosstalk. There's less at the top than in Lightboost mode. And it's better about motion blur too, obviously. By the way, using Chrome in fullscreen triggers 3D Vision for me :p.
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws X 1600MHz CL7
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
masterotaku

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 10:49

masterotaku wrote:Mmmm, I'd say ULMB is a bit better regarding crosstalk. There's less at the top than in Lightboost mode. And it's better about motion blur too, obviously. By the way, using Chrome in fullscreen triggers 3D Vision for me :p.

That's unusual about ULMB having less strobe crosstalk than LightBoost.

Usually, it's been LightBoost that has less strobe crosstalk.

In exchange for doing slightly poorer colors. Some (not all) of the implementations seem to compress the greyscale dynamic range. Lowering contrast ratio (raising black levels, decreasing white levels) can often reduce the number of LCD GtG pairs that are incomplete between strobe flashes. That's one of the reasons why LightBoost traditionally had poorer colors than ULMB, but often less strobe crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Eliminating Motion Blur (LightBoost, ULMB, etc)