Battlefield 4 [Not seeing LightBoost benefit?]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Kroma

Battlefield 4 [Not seeing LightBoost benefit?]

Post by Kroma » 04 Jan 2014, 08:46

I recent just purchased the 144hz monitor, specifically for gaming... I was testing it on Battlefield 4,but I didn't notice any difference in smoothness, as well it limits my color options in the menu.. I'm running a Gtx 780 with i5 3570k 4.5ghz...My frames are different depending on which map I'm on.. The lowest I've gotten was 80-100..and other maps I'm 120-150...Is there something I need to do in the setup? I don't want to run v-sync because of input lag...

SisterBob

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by SisterBob » 04 Jan 2014, 11:29

Are you using LightBoost?

Kroma

Post by Kroma » 04 Jan 2014, 11:45

hate to be rude, but that's an obvious answer considering this is a light boost forum.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 16:57

SisterBob wrote:Are you using LightBoost?
Kroma wrote:that's an obvious answer considering this is a light boost forum.
Actually, since this forum is so new, and some unfamiliar users post in the wrong areas, let's give the benefit of doubt :)

Here, keep the forum moving quickly; even silly questions deserve fast friendly answers (where possible), even to newbies.
Our way of being friendly... :)
Kroma wrote:I recent just purchased the 144hz monitor, specifically for gaming... I was testing it on Battlefield 4,but I didn't notice any difference in smoothness, as well it limits my color options in the menu.. I'm running a Gtx 780 with i5 3570k 4.5ghz...My frames are different depending on which map I'm on.. The lowest I've gotten was 80-100..and other maps I'm 120-150...Is there something I need to do in the setup? I don't want to run v-sync because of input lag...
Let's do my best to help out here:

Why Can't I See LightBoost Benefit in Battlefield 4?

Causes
The LightBoost effect can disappear with either one of the following reasons:

1. Low framerates won't look good with LightBoost.
Motion blur eliminating strobe backlights only work well when you get framerates close to stroberate, at least.

LightBoost strobe rate is limited to a range of 100-120 strobes per second, one backlight strobe flash per frame is ideal (VSYNC ON framerate=hertz yields perfect LightBoost motion). So you need triple-digit framerates for the best motion. Battlefield 4 is a very GPU demanding game that typically runs at far lower framerates than the refresh rate.

2. Games sometimes automatically turn off LightBoost.
This has been a problem with some games. Instructions on fixing this vary from game to game. Verify that your monitors "3D MODE" is still enabled, which is an indication of LightBoost, even if not used with stereoscopic 3D glasses.

Solutions

Common stuff is covered in the LightBoost FAQ. Picking out the most applicable stuff, let's see if we can run through some common solutions:

Firstly, test http://www.testufo.com/photo -- Turn ON/OFF LightBoost and doublecheck that you're getting the effect. TestUFO runs at framerates matching refreshrate, using motion equivalent to VSYNC ON.

1. Verify your game is not turning off LightBoost.
Check your game to make sure it's running the 120Hz LightBoost mode, rather than other refresh rates (e.g. 60Hz or 144Hz). For stubborn games, there are many common workarounds, such as making sure one resolution is a LightBoost-only resolution. One of us can follow up with separate instructions, if this is the specific cause...

2. Verify your game isn't adding motion blur.
Games that add GPU motion blur effects, will undo the LightBoost motion blur elimination. This is a case of software-generated motion blur addition that's interfering with hardware-based motion blur reduction. Sometimes motion blur has benefits, but if you're aiming for minimum motion blur, you want to turn off the game's motion blur setting.

3. Verify you don't have mouse stutters.
Mouse movements can be a weak link to seeing motion clarity improvements. If you don't have a gaming mouse, you'll want to get one to benefit from a strobe backlight. sharknice has good guides about gaming mice -- the best I've ever seen -- http://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html and http://eliteownage.com/mousesensitivity.html

4. Temporarily test other games that run at higher framerates.
- Find one of your older games (e.g. Counterstrike: GO, Half Life 2). Launch and run it. These will typically run at triple-digit framerates on mid-range GPU's today (e.g. GTX 670), and will show a very strong LightBoost effect.
- Try lowering detail levels in your games until you run consistently high triple digit framerates.

5. Upgrade your system to get framerates necessary for motion-blur-eliminating strobe backlight benefit.
If you really want the LightBoost effect in your newer games (e.g. Crysis 3, BF4) you need a faster GPU, lower detail level, and/or a lower strobe rate. Minimum strobe rates 100Hz for LightBoost, minimum strobe rate is 85Hz for GSYNC monitors' ULMB mode (Ultra Low Motion Blur), and minimum strobe rate is 75Hz for BENQ Blur Reduction. Monitors with a lower strobe rate makes it easier to achieve framerate=stroberate necessary to get the zero motion blur effect, but lower strobe rates will flicker more (uncomfortable) to human eyes. The stroberate is a flicker-versus-GPU-power tradeoff.

6. As an alternative, use GSYNC to make low framerates look good
GSYNC makes framrates such as 40fps and 70fps look far better in Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. Upgrading the monitor is an additional, alternative option, to getting LightBoost.
For high/consistent framerates, strobing can look better.
For low/variable framerates, GSYNC can look better if you cant do framerates matching stroberate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 04 Jan 2014, 17:17

BF4 automatically sets the refresh rate to the highest which would be 144hz, so you have to manually change it to 120hz in the game settings.
You also will want to turn off motion blur in the game settings and probably a bunch of other settings that simulate blur such as depth of field.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 17:23

sharknice wrote:BF4 automatically sets the refresh rate to the highest which would be 144hz, so you have to manually change it to 120hz in the game settings.
You also will want to turn off motion blur in the game settings and probably a bunch of other settings that simulate blur such as depth of field.
Good points. I've made minor amendments to my post to accomodate your advice.

And I must point out your guide, http://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html (Note to readers: designed by sharknice!) -- is very useful to avoiding mouse stutters from ruining the LightBoost effect (rapid microstutters generate extra motion blur).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SisterBob

Post by SisterBob » 05 Jan 2014, 19:31

Kroma wrote:hate to be rude, but that's an obvious answer considering this is a light boost forum.
It was possible you didn't post in the intended forum and since there was no explicit mention of lightboost in your post, I simply wanted to clarify.