G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2024, 01:12

Minimum Six Algebra Dimensions! Possibly Ten!

G-SYNC Pulsar is a almost certainly a very advanced six-dimensional algebraic overdrive implementation, I think, that utilizes:

- [+1] Scanline position (stronger OD at bottom of screen, due to scanout)
- [+1] Frametime (dynamic VRR overdrive)
- [+2] Gamma corrected overdrive to prevent R/G/B color shifts (3 vars instead of 1 variable)
- [+2] On top of usual A(B)=C overdrive formula
= [6 algebra dimensions]

This would be a minimum six-dimensional algebraic overdrive, probably generated out of advanced algebraic regression curve-fitting, since you cannot strobe-tune that many settings in one sitting, and the lookup table would be literally petabytes (or more). So it gotta be algebraic-formula-based overdrive, per subpixel, computed algebra formula ~4 billion times per second (2560 x 1440 x 360 x 3).

That doesn't even include potential multi lookbehind frametime history and pixel color history, because incorporating that additional information improves overdrive further. Sometimes clamping a pixel to 255 for 2 consecutive refresh cycles is needed to speed up the slowest "to near white" pixel transitions, when refreshtimes are so scarily fast (2.78ms) and some colors take more than two refresh cycles to finish. So you got multi-refresh-cycle-depth overdrive algorithms.

So we might even be looking at 8-dimensions or 10-dimensions!

Without even looking at NDA material and never even told what G-SYNC Pulsar does, I know how complicated overdrive tuning gets when you throw in all these extra variables. I've had to butt heads with scaler/TCON vendors already on this. This is a whole other ballpark that you will never find in generic chinese scaler/TCONs.

ELMB SYNC doesn't even have ANY of this, except standard A(B)=C overdrive formula in simple LUT. You get lucky and you may be able to realtime-compute the frametime too, in some of the more expensive FreeSync implementations.

So Pulsar seemed probably 100x+ better in crosstalk behavior consistency. Much, much, much, much less crosstalk yoyo-effect.

ELMB SYNC is mathematical bush plane league hack. This is a Concorde in mathematical brilliance.

But more testing is needed by reviewers to see if spending all this massive engineering money to improve the most difficult 10% of overdrive, provides enough dividends in this refresh rate race.

G-SYNC Pulsar is an engineering achievement in strobed VRR, whole other ballpark. Not even in the same solar system as ELMB SYNC, mathematically. I wonder if my whisper of "algebra regression formula" to Seth Schneider after ULMB2 announcement, gave some ideas to NVIDIA. I was egging them on my dissapointment that ULMB2 couldn't do flexible Hz. Ha, I wonder if I started that Chaos Butterfly flapping. Algebra regression curve-fitting is easy with Wolfram Alpha. The challenge is merging all the data together from a long automated photodiode oscilloscoping session, as there are possibly quadrillions of data samples there.

Who knows?

I'm at CES 2024.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kyouki

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Post by Kyouki » 10 Jan 2024, 03:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 01:12
-
I've tried ELMB Sync on my girlfriend's monitor, and I wasn't too blown away by it. It just didn't seem to feel right.

Really excited for Pulsar to give that a try. Thank you for the insight!

p.s.
While you're at CES, could you check out the Alienware's new 360hz monitor [AW2725DF]? Does it require 2x displayport to do OLED 360hz @ 1440p?
It was a discussion I had with a friend, I don't think so, but he thinks the bandwidth might not be enough for that?
And does it have G-sync Pulsar? That would be my ultimate next monitor I would love to purchase.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2024, 05:12

DSC (Display Stream Compression), I believe, is being used at these stratospheric refresh rates for 1440p 360-480Hz with HDR support.

The convergence of HFR and HDR in current 360 Hz and 480 Hz OLEDs is fairly exciting to me, considering the upcoming launch of TestUFO 2.0 HDR.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Hybred
VIP Member

Post by Hybred » 10 Jan 2024, 07:08

This was my favorite announcement at CES.

I just hope NVIDIA is working on getting there strobing technologies functioning on other display types (like OLEDs), as I really dislike LCDs bad contrast and backlight bleed
Join r/MotionClarity: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotionClarity/

Discussions of all things blur related from game graphics (TAA, Post-Processing FX) to displays (Persistence, GtG, Coatings)

Former AAA developer/contractor - community modder - anti-aliasing expert

akrios

Post by akrios » 10 Jan 2024, 15:50

Chief is ASUS giving any information right now if the PG27AQN will get an update in the future?

Excited to try this in the future. Hoping I can give it a shot on the PG27AQN. I usually hold on to my monitors for quite some time but the 480Hz OLED from LG will cause me to make the jump quicker than normal. Even if the AQN or another IPS gets Pulsar, I still would imagine I'd prefer 480Hz OLED w/ G-Sync.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 10 Jan 2024, 18:12

akrios wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 15:50
Chief is ASUS giving any information right now if the PG27AQN will get an update in the future?

Excited to try this in the future. Hoping I can give it a shot on the PG27AQN. I usually hold on to my monitors for quite some time but the 480Hz OLED from LG will cause me to make the jump quicker than normal. Even if the AQN or another IPS gets Pulsar, I still would imagine I'd prefer 480Hz OLED w/ G-Sync.
From my understanding (forgive me, forget where I heard or read this) Pulsar requires a new module unfortunately. :|

No firmware updates for existing models for ULMB2/Pulsar, more potential ewaste.. which is unfortunate.

akrios

Post by akrios » 10 Jan 2024, 18:32

Kyouki wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 18:12

From my understanding (forgive me, forget where I heard or read this) Pulsar requires a new module unfortunately. :|

No firmware updates for existing models for ULMB2/Pulsar, more potential ewaste.. which is unfortunate.
Unfortunate. When it requires a new module is this hardware in addition to the existing G-Sync module that's already in something like the AQN or a new G-Sync module itself? Since the introduction of the G-Sync module, has it been changed from a hardware perspective? Or has it been mostly better panel tech/firmware that has brought new features like ULMB2 etc.

Hybred
VIP Member

Post by Hybred » 11 Jan 2024, 09:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 05:12
DSC (Display Stream Compression), I believe, is being used at these stratospheric refresh rates for 1440p 360-480Hz with HDR support.

The convergence of HFR and HDR in current 360 Hz and 480 Hz OLEDs is fairly exciting to me, considering the upcoming launch of TestUFO 2.0 HDR.
Hey Mark. I have a question.

Can backlight strobing & things like g-sync pulsar work on MiniLED LCDs? Or would the dimming zones cause incompatibility.

If they would work it would be a great middle ground for OLED image quality & great motion performance, but since I haven't seen it done before I'm worried it's not possible.
Join r/MotionClarity: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotionClarity/

Discussions of all things blur related from game graphics (TAA, Post-Processing FX) to displays (Persistence, GtG, Coatings)

Former AAA developer/contractor - community modder - anti-aliasing expert

knypol

Post by knypol » 13 Jan 2024, 15:37

Is BFI better than ULMB or Dyac? Can it work with VRR? From what i understand it also divides in half current refresh? GSync Pulsar in short is ULMB + VRR at the same time?

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 13 Jan 2024, 16:58

knypol wrote:
13 Jan 2024, 15:37
Is BFI better than ULMB or Dyac? Can it work with VRR? From what i understand it also divides in half current refresh? GSync Pulsar in short is ULMB + VRR at the same time?
Yeah. And BFI is just short for Black Frame Insertion which is the official term for Blur Reduction methods like both ULMB/DyAc.

Currently it cannot work together but Pulsar seems to do this proper. There were some ELMB Sync methods (BFI+VRR) but they weren't as good.