Unable to VSYNC with my 540hz monitor

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
juran_2024

Unable to VSYNC with my 540hz monitor

Post by juran_2024 » 02 May 2024, 11:58

I did blur busters motion tests on my acer xv242-f 540hz monitor, but i always got "Unable to VSYNC" failure, I don't know what's going on.
At first, I suspected my minidp to dp cable limited the boardbrand, so i switched the resolution ratio to 800 * 600, but the results were same.
Can somebody please help figure this out T T
图片1.png
图片1.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Snipaste_2024-05-03_00-55-03.png
Snipaste_2024-05-03_00-55-03.png (341.19 KiB) Viewed 989 times

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Re: Unable to VSYNC with my 540hz monitor

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 04 May 2024, 19:07

Try a different cable entirely.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2024, 14:21

juran_2024 wrote:
02 May 2024, 11:58
I did blur busters motion tests on my acer xv242-f 540hz monitor, but i always got "Unable to VSYNC" failure, I don't know what's going on.
At first, I suspected my minidp to dp cable limited the boardbrand, so i switched the resolution ratio to 800 * 600, but the results were same.
Hello,
It's not your cable.

It's the web browser.
Web browsers have difficulty keeping up at 500Hz+

To improve reliability, quit all background software, quit all RGB software, quit Task Manager, boot in Safe Mode (but keep graphics drivers running), try a clean install, etc. Try Edge vs Chrome too. Fresh boot, no tabs, nothing running. Do a SHIFT+Refresh browser after 5 minutes of testing. Some have gotten TestUFO running at 1000fps 1000Hz. But "Unable To VSYNC" = "Browser Unable To VSYNC" in your specific case.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 09 May 2024, 10:12

another thing hold ctrl and scroll with mouse wheel this will allow the UFO to sync better

https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#photo ... llscreen=1

^ Also try this one as it's full screen and shows you where there is cross talk most monitors if not all are garbage at strobing because there is cross talk top and bottom of the screen

I am happy to report my XG2431 has 0 cross talk anywhere when set to 60HZ with 4500 LVT and strobe utility adjusted to 75

Also blur buster UFO isn't the best method to test this these days when frog pursuit exists.

https://www.aperturegrille.com/software/

^ Use Frog pursuit if you truly want to see what your monitor is capable off AND it supports vsync or freesync AND you can adjust the FPS and speed of the frog.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2024, 13:03

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
09 May 2024, 10:12
Also blur buster UFO isn't the best method to test this these days when frog pursuit exists.

^ Use Frog pursuit if you truly want to see what your monitor is capable off AND it supports vsync or freesync AND you can adjust the FPS and speed of the frog.
Frog pursuit is indeed better for certain use cases, including VRR and for reviewer ops, and certain kinds of tests.

However, calling it "better" without quantifying "better for specific kinds of testing" is a stretch --

How do you explain to a Mac user about 30fps-vs-60fps (e.g. www.testufo.com)?
How do you tell a user to test ghosting on an Android tablet (e.g. www.testufo.com/ghosting)?
How do you help a user understand TOP/CENTER/BOTTOM crosstalk (e.g. www.testufo.com/crosstalk)?
How do you teach user about the stutter-to-blur continuum (e.g. www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 )
How do you help a person to test in less than 1 minute without installing downloadable software?
How do you [over 1000 things that SmoothFrog cannot do]?
So TestUFO was designed to be one-click / one-tap easy.

SmoothFrog is fantastic, and does some tests much better than TestUFO, but it's still ultimately only a few-tricks pony when it comes to the above needs. SmoothFrog even utilizes one of my inventions, the pursuit camera sync track.

TestUFO, originally launched in 2013 to win a few forum debates, but is now used for scientific testing. TestUFO was designed as a one-click education that works on almost any screen and platform (including mobiles). So no downloadable EXE can match the convenience of one-click "Education in a link" or "Test in a link".

There is a future version of TestUFO incorporating a lot of SmoothFrogs' improvements, but that will take time.

The problem is web browsers do not suport VRR.

Some tests don't require precision, and other tests require extreme precision. TestUFO uses the strictest-common-denominator for its color coded error messages (red/yellow/green).

Also, TestUFO is extremely picky about perfect framepacing due to the requirement of scientific accuracy VSYNC. The "Unable to VSYNC" appears if you're perfectly doing 522 refresh cycles out of 540, and failing the others. For non-scientific tests such as the coverpage www.testufo.com the "Unable to VSYNC" alarm will be adjusted to a leninent threshold where it won't show for most 500Hz+ users, while science-precision tests will still require the message. The "Unable" shows even if you're missing the VSYNC for just 1 out of 540 refresh cycles per second -- TestUFO is very very very picky about the browser performance due to its requirement for scientific-VSYNC-accuracy. Which is too much to expect for simple tests like comparing 540fps versus 270fps (half) versus 135fps (quarter).

BTW, the author of SmoothFrog now works at a major display reviewer that also uses my test inventions.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 13 May 2024, 06:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 May 2024, 13:03
Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
09 May 2024, 10:12

Frog pursuit is indeed better for certain use cases, including VRR and for reviewer ops, and certain kinds of tests.

However, calling it "better" without quantifying "better for specific kinds of testing" is a stretch --

How do you explain to a Mac user about 30fps-vs-60fps (e.g. www.testufo.com)?
How do you tell a user to test ghosting on an Android tablet (e.g. www.testufo.com/ghosting)?
How do you help a user understand TOP/CENTER/BOTTOM crosstalk (e.g. www.testufo.com/crosstalk)?
How do you teach user about the stutter-to-blur continuum (e.g. www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 )
How do you help a person to test in less than 1 minute without installing downloadable software?
How do you [over 1000 things that SmoothFrog cannot do]?
So TestUFO was designed to be one-click / one-tap easy.

SmoothFrog is fantastic, and does some tests much better than TestUFO, but it's still ultimately only a few-tricks pony when it comes to the above needs. SmoothFrog even utilizes one of my inventions, the pursuit camera sync track.

TestUFO, originally launched in 2013 to win a few forum debates, but is now used for scientific testing. TestUFO was designed as a one-click education that works on almost any screen and platform (including mobiles). So no downloadable EXE can match the convenience of one-click "Education in a link" or "Test in a link".

There is a future version of TestUFO incorporating a lot of SmoothFrogs' improvements, but that will take time.

The problem is web browsers do not suport VRR.

Some tests don't require precision, and other tests require extreme precision. TestUFO uses the strictest-common-denominator for its color coded error messages (red/yellow/green).

Also, TestUFO is extremely picky about perfect framepacing due to the requirement of scientific accuracy VSYNC. The "Unable to VSYNC" appears if you're perfectly doing 522 refresh cycles out of 540, and failing the others. For non-scientific tests such as the coverpage www.testufo.com the "Unable to VSYNC" alarm will be adjusted to a leninent threshold where it won't show for most 500Hz+ users, while science-precision tests will still require the message. The "Unable" shows even if you're missing the VSYNC for just 1 out of 540 refresh cycles per second -- TestUFO is very very very picky about the browser performance due to its requirement for scientific-VSYNC-accuracy. Which is too much to expect for simple tests like comparing 540fps versus 270fps (half) versus 135fps (quarter).

BTW, the author of SmoothFrog now works at a major display reviewer that also uses my test inventions.
OOh nice these are good to know hadn't thought of these.