ULMB vs. Lightboost

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Karnaj

Re: ULMB vs. Lightboost

Post by Karnaj » 13 Jan 2014, 23:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Karnaj wrote: but its disadvantage is variable motion blur, which worsens as frame rates drop.
The way you phrased it, sounds bad. ;)

So let's clarify things.
I must point out it is not a disadvantage at all relative to non-LightBoost.
However, the fact that it doesn't eliminate motion blur, is, indeed a disadvantage relative to LightBoost.

For example:
G-SYNC 30fps does not have worse motion blur than non-GSYNC non-LightBoost 30fps.
G-SYNC 60fps does not have worse motion blur than non-GSYNC non-LightBoost 60fps.
etc.

The motion blur is variable only because it's a variable refresh rate technology.
i.e. motion blur of G-SYNC 45fps is exactly in between non-GSYNC 30fps and non-GSYNC 60fps.
The variable motion blur effect is extremely subtle compared to stutters or tearing.

As you can see at http://www.testufo.com ... The lower frame rate UFOs have more motion blur than the higher frame rate UFOs. It's no different on G-SYNC. The fact is that you've able to obtain the most perfect possible non-strobed frame rates possible, e.g. 47fps looks like a non-GSYNCd 47fps@47Hz monitor. But as soon as framerate changes to say, 75fps, it looks the same as a non-GSYNCd 75fps@75Hz. The framerate==refreshrate harmony is the source of all ultrasmooth motion. When you play 60fps@60Hz, and everything suddenly slows down to 30fps, on a non-GSYNC monitor, you're suddenly getting a lot more motion blurring during the moment it slows down to 30fps. That's bad. Sudden changes in motion blur as the framerate quantizes between big steps. Now, GSYNC eliminates that by giving you a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) between frame rates on GSYNC, rather than the abrupt gearshifting effect (jerky jumps between framerates / jerky changes in motion blur) on non-GSYNC.

So, you see, the variable motion blur is actually an advantage relative to non-GSYNC, but only a disadvantage relative ot LIghtBoost. It is totally essential, to keep this in perspective. ;)
Yup, I only meant disadvantageous compared to LightBoost/ULMB's elimination of motion blur. I see how others might misinterpret what I wrote and I'm sorry to make you type that lengthy explanation when I could have easily clarified my statement. :)
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 14 Jan 2014, 02:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Now, GSYNC eliminates that by giving you a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) between frame rates on GSYNC, rather than the abrupt gearshifting effect (jerky jumps between framerates / jerky changes in motion blur) on non-GSYNC.
I love this analogy. It's fitting that I actually do have a CVT in my car and love it. I hope that G-sync has the same effect on my gaming.

cheneric

Post by cheneric » 14 Jan 2014, 08:51

Is there going to be anymore extended tests with ULMB vs. Lightboost? I know we found out that the colors are a lot better, but I'm more interested in a review like this: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/ with ULMB. I know that there's currently no adjustment for ULMB right now, so can we test 10% brightness vs. ULMB?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2014, 16:22

cheneric wrote:Is there going to be anymore extended tests with ULMB vs. Lightboost? I know we found out that the colors are a lot better, but I'm more interested in a review like this: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/ with ULMB. I know that there's currently no adjustment for ULMB right now, so can we test 10% brightness vs. ULMB?
Yes, tests with ULMB will be coming.
I will also be doing head-to-head tests between multiple strobe backlights later during 2014.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 Jan 2014, 23:29

Maybe ULMB is the next best thing and they don't want to lose any money from G-Sync sales until G-sync sales have passed their sales plateau