Benq XL2411 with Lightboost seeing Horizontal lines in CSGO

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Goobus

Benq XL2411 with Lightboost seeing Horizontal lines in CSGO

Post by Goobus » 28 Mar 2015, 02:03

Hello,

So I only just purchased a new Benq XL2411 and have set up lightboost using ToastyX's method. I play mainly CSGO and when I'm in game I sometimes see horizontal lines appear, especially when there's a smoke grenade on the ground or sometimes when I'm moving around. I have capped my FPS at 480 using fps_max 480 in console and also using -freq 120 in launch options as well. My monitor is also set to 120hz in screen resolutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Falkentyne

Re: Benq XL2411 with Lightboost seeing Horizontal lines in C

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Mar 2015, 02:51

Scanlines from lightboost mode?
That's normal. When a panel is being run out of specification (accelerated scanout, which Lightboost mode uses,vertical total tweaks, etc), you may get a scalines type artifact effect on the screen.

If you run a program like "Eizo monitor test" and then test a lite grey screen, you should be able to see the scanlines on the desktop.

Goobus

Post by Goobus » 28 Mar 2015, 02:55

hmm really? dam ok. It gets pretty annoying having those lines appear every now and then. Especially if im running up a set of stairs or moving fast, ill see those lines pop up every now and then

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 28 Mar 2015, 03:31

Goobus wrote:hmm really? dam ok. It gets pretty annoying having those lines appear every now and then. Especially if im running up a set of stairs or moving fast, ill see those lines pop up every now and then
Are they simply static scanlines, or "waves" that move up or down the screen?

Depending on refresh rate and vertical total, I've seen those waves. Sometimes they are visible without moving, but sometimes they can be seen when I follow some movement up or down with my eyes (and only at certain speeds, it's like you have to synchronize with the waves to see them).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Goobus

Post by Goobus » 29 Mar 2015, 07:36

its just static scanlines during fast movements etc. I turned off lightboost and just used normal settings instead. No scanlines what so ever to be seen with lightboost turned off.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2015, 21:37

The scanlines artifact are normal for many 24" displays -- this is because the display panel is really pushed to its absolute refreshing limits when using strobed mode. The panel refresh is accelerated so that there's a pause between refresh cycles to let LCD pixels (GtG transition) settles in total darkness, before the strobe backlight flashes. LightBoost is a strobe backlight mode, used for motion blur reduction, flashing the backlight 120 times a second, in order to eliminate tracking-based motion blur. The process can cause some artifacts to appear, such as the scan line artifact, sometimes only in a corner of a display (upper right). It happens most often on 24" 1ms TN panels. Other panels, such as the 27" panels, don't usually have this artifact.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Mar 2015, 21:51

I have them in lightboost on the 27" 2720Z too.
I get the same scanlines with a VT 1500 tweak (whether or not blur reduction is off or on) however they are very light and not as intense, but they are in the same spots. (more so the top than the bottom).