BenQ XL2411Z, how to get lightboost better?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
urut

BenQ XL2411Z, how to get lightboost better?

Post by urut » 03 Apr 2015, 13:33

Hello everyone, my question is HOW TO GET BETTER LIGHTBOOST on my monitor? =D
I've got xl2411z v1 firmware monitor (v1 cuz im super linux n00b and im afraid to put it to v2 with linux method ;DDDDDD)
At this moment my settings is like :
- Lightboost activated by method #4 "Advanced EDID Override Method"
- in toastyx strobelight i activated ONLY strobed resolutions (cuz in some games my computer launch 144hz and i can't choose 120hz with lightboost, with only strobed resolutions (120,110,100) its work perfectly)
- in monitor osd lightboost 100%(max) and cotrast 65 (i must use it cuz at lightboost 10% and contrast below 50 my monitor is too dark, idk its some bug or my eyes didn't work perfectly :pPpP
- in nvidia cp brightness 52%, contrast 45%, gamma 0.70 (i read it at lightboost thread :p)

What more can i do to get BEST COMPETETIVE settings ever (i play fps games, mostly cs:go and warsow (game like quake) and i must got BEST reaction time and ZERO BLUR. I want to see opponents FASTER than 75hz player saw me. I wanna the most advantage i can get from this monitor or even settings. I don't care about colors or something, i can play with pure Black and White colors but i must got advantage in reaction time etc =D

I don't must even use lightboost, maybe is other methods or whatever to get best competetive, best reaction time, best ADVANTAGE.

#EDIT
AND ANYWAY, in testufo with contrast 65 and lightboost 100% i see 2 ufos (ghost trail second ufo) SAME as at contrast 0 and lightboost 10%, is it normal? ;o

It's any diffrence of AMA setting before i launch lightboost? If i set 120hz AMA HIGH and im goin to launch lightboost, i've got lightboost and AMA HIGH? Or how it works? :p
Ama high or premium is better with lightboost?

#EDIT2, IMPORTANT GUYS xD
I readed somewhere in the internet - when i change AMA in non-lightboost mode, and change refresh rate to lightboost mode this will works in lightboost also, then i create 60hz native resolution and gonna try all ama settings with ufotest, weird thing is that i've got best result with AMA : OFF (less amount of ghost trail).
I change ama to OFF at 60hz, and back to 120hz with lightboost mode, this works cuz in ufo test still got less of ghost trail.
I go to play a game, and this is awesome lol. Im playin 2hours and im topfragging everywhere, i feel im much faster (reaction) then with ama high. Is it normal? Im read in ANY SITE with review of this monitor, everywhere guys write AMA HIGH is BETTER than PREMIUM and AMA OFF SUCK BALLS AS FUCK.
THEN WHY I'VE GOT BEST RESULTS WITH AMA OFF? RLY GUYS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN THIS? XD

What can i do guys, can anyone help me? :)

masterotaku

Re: BenQ XL2411Z, how to get lightboost better?

Post by masterotaku » 04 Apr 2015, 03:45

urut wrote:- in monitor osd lightboost 100%(max) and cotrast 65
Don't set contrast over 50. At 65, you're missing some colors (search about color clipping).
urut wrote:What more can i do to get BEST COMPETETIVE settings ever (i play fps games, mostly cs:go and warsow (game like quake) and i must got BEST reaction time and ZERO BLUR.
Your "ZERO BLUR" condition doesn't match with 100% Lightboost. With your V1 firmware, the lowest motion blur you can get is with 10% Lightboost. It isn't that dark (I even find it too bright and I would use 5% Lightboost if the option existed :lol: ).

Check this for comparisons: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/

urut wrote:I don't must even use lightboost, maybe is other methods or whatever to get best competetive, best reaction time, best ADVANTAGE.
Well, Lightboost gives a few extra miliseconds of input lag (like 4ms, I think), but not having motion blur is more important for me.

urut wrote:AND ANYWAY, in testufo with contrast 65 and lightboost 100% i see 2 ufos (ghost trail second ufo) SAME as at contrast 0 and lightboost 10%, is it normal? ;o
Yes, but that ghosting should be very faint.
urut wrote:It's any diffrence of AMA setting before i launch lightboost? If i set 120hz AMA HIGH and im goin to launch lightboost, i've got lightboost and AMA HIGH? Or how it works? :p
Ama high or premium is better with lightboost?
AMA doesn't affect Lightboost in any way. It only affects Blur Reduction.
urut wrote:I readed somewhere in the internet - when i change AMA in non-lightboost mode, and change refresh rate to lightboost mode this will works in lightboost also
False :P .
urut wrote:then i create 60hz native resolution and gonna try all ama settings with ufotest, weird thing is that i've got best result with AMA : OFF (less amount of ghost trail).
AMA High and Premium have too much overshoot, creating strong overdrive artifacts. It's normal that you prefer normal ghosting instead of that.
urut wrote:I change ama to OFF at 60hz, and back to 120hz with lightboost mode, this works cuz in ufo test still got less of ghost trail.
Now that's weird. Doing that doesn't make a difference for me. Lightboost uses its own overdrive setting that has nothing to do with AMA.
urut wrote:Is it normal? Im read in ANY SITE with review of this monitor, everywhere guys write AMA HIGH is BETTER than PREMIUM and AMA OFF SUCK BALLS AS FUCK.
THEN WHY I'VE GOT BEST RESULTS WITH AMA OFF? RLY GUYS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN THIS? XD
What I said before. Overdrive artifacts are distracting. But AMA shouldn't affect Lightboost. Maybe it's placebo or a "feature" or the V1 firmware....
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

urut

Post by urut » 04 Apr 2015, 05:33

Lol, maybe its v1 firmware bug or something? With this ama off,high,premium at lightboost? I haven't got good camera to show you this but trust me, i see the diffrence in ufotest and in game. I play with lightboost and ama high for 2months +/-, when yesterday change to 60hz setts ama to OFF and change to lightboost 120hz i clearly see the diffrence in game ;o. Not that big but always..
Idk maybe my monitor is bugged or whatever?

Anyway its seems like AMA works in my lightboost mode ;d. And i've got a other question cuz im haven't got good english skillz
Like other 2014 Z-series BenQ monitors, the XL2411Z scored an excellent 4.5 ms response time in our various tests. Switching "AMA" mode off gets rid of the slight hint of reverse ghosting but this in turn slows the response time to 8 ms on average. The 10 ms input lag is excellent. No lag will be noticeable when using this display, even for high-level gaming.
Then when i've got AMA OFF i got less blur but +3.5 ms of response time or what??
IMHO with lightboost and AMA OFF i've got full lightboost benefits (less blur then with 120hz without lightboost) and haven't got overdrive artifacts. But with ama high or premium i've got the same amout of blur (minimal cuz lightboost) but i've got overdrive artifacts, then ama OFF is the best for lightboost, im right??

urut

Post by urut » 10 Apr 2015, 04:20

Can somebody reply to this ? :P

"Then when i've got AMA OFF i got less blur but +3.5 ms of response time or what??
IMHO with lightboost and AMA OFF i've got full lightboost benefits (less blur then with 120hz without lightboost) and haven't got overdrive artifacts. But with ama high or premium i've got the same amout of blur (minimal cuz lightboost) but i've got overdrive artifacts, then ama OFF is the best for lightboost, im right??"

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Apr 2015, 06:10

I really do not understand what you are trying to say here.

Are you talking about BENQ BLUR REDUCTION ?
Or are you talking about NVIDIA LIGHT BOOST 3D (e.g. the green light on the monitor comes on and the OSD says "3D MODE."

Which one?
Your talk acts like you are talking about benq blur reduction.

AMA settings do NOT apply in lightboost mode. AT ALL.
AMA is Benq's overdrive (response time compensation). it is the SAME thing as Asus trace free.
Except Asus has 6 levels of trace free (00=off, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100)
While Benq has 3 levels of AMA (Off, On, Premium).

On Version 4 firmware (based on 27" version 2720Z, it seems that 2411Z does not respond the same way as 2720Z, even though it does respond favorably (V2 firmware responds HORRIBLY), there are actually five levels (instead of 3) of AMA. Two are hidden, and four are usable and decent quality, with 5 total AMA levels on V4 firmware.

* (these 2 hidden levels only apply in blur reduction mode), with blur reduction off, there are only 3 levels):

1) AMA Off
2) Blur reduction/High
*3) Blur reduction/AMA high (hidden Toggle in V4(set BBR on, select AMA high; if AMA is already at high, go to AMA, highlight high then hit BACK (don't hit enter) unless its on off or premium or move it there then back)
4) Blur reduction/premium (ugly, unusuable)
* 5) Blur reduction/AMA premium (on V4 2720Z this is a lesser overdrive (and actually fully usable) inverse ghosting version of BBR/premium, visually it looks the same as V2 firmware on BBR/high.

These same settings exist in V4 on xl2411z but the overdrive difference between #2 and #3 are not the same as on 2720Z.
#3 on 2720Z looks better than on 2411Z but requires contrast 0-10 for #3 to look really nice.

You are talking about "AMA" and "Lightboost".
AMA settings are ignored in Lightboost mode on the Benq Z series! Lightboost uses its own internal AMA (it's actually set to maximum, but it has per-line overdrive)

The ONLY monitor where overdrive settings can be changed in Lightboost mode, is the Asus VG248QE, and this can only be done through the service menu (undocumented). No benefits to lag or anything by changing it, although changing it from the default (0F hexadecimal) to 0C hex (12 decimal) changes the overdrive balance of the top and bottom overdrive balance. at 0F hex, the bottom has some inverse ghosting with the top looking perfect. at 0C, the bottom looks perfect while the top has some "Normal" ghosting. (sorta like how on V4 2720Z firmware, #3 vs #2 acts)

But you can't change AMA on Benq's Lightboost mode. Only in Benq blur reduction mode.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Apr 2015, 14:47

Probably V4 firmware on XL2720Z. I don't know how the 2420Z/11z respond to the new AMA high trick, but he said it is improved on 2411Z (2420Z) but mostly at lower refresh rates. His panel is different than mine. He also said that the normal AMA high on V4 is unchanged from V2. But on 2720Z, the normal AMA high has less aggressive overshoot, and the hidden AMA high remove it (But increases regular ghosting as a result).

If you can handle a lack of contrast, the best motion quality you can get is probably XL2470Z, V4 firmware, hidden AMA high (not normal default AMA high, even though this looks perfectly fine), with contrast 0 and persistence at 1.0ms and gamma 3, and contrast 10 if you want a bit more contrast, and the normal ghosting to look like normal AMA high at 43 contrast.
I say gamma 3 instead of 4, because the screen is dimmed by setting contrast so low, so a lower gamma may make things a bit more clear, although even more washed out.

Can't give you an exact answer about the 24" panels but I'd guess the same: New hidden AMA high, V4, contrast <30.

I would not touch lightboost mode at all.

urut

Post by urut » 05 May 2015, 11:57

Can someone explain me, if i using lightboost (from asus.inf driver method) on xl2411z v1, and now i upgrade my monitor to v4 and enable single strobe in service menu, now when i do lightboost trick at v4 firmware monitor im gonna get better lightboost or same as at v1 firmware?: PP

And other question is : how to get VT trick (on BBR) work in games? I've got VT 1500 at 120hz and 1920x1080 (osd shows 60hz) but it works i know (i've got more brigther desktop etc) but in game when i use 1024x768 it didn't work, its dark as fu**. Osd in game (when using 1024x768) shows 120hz, but when in game i change to 1920x1080, picture is brighter and osd shows 60hz (then it works) so how to get 1024x768 worked in game with VT trick?

I create in nvidia control panel resolution with VT and got GPU scaling (ticked override mode set in games blabla) :(?

Mrt1989

Post by Mrt1989 » 05 May 2015, 13:00

if you play mainly cs go then the best is to use 144hz with no Blur Reduction. Because it gives you the best input lag you can get.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 May 2015, 13:05

Custom resolutions that are shown in 'standard or established' resolutions in toastyX Custom resolution utilty use default timings. You can see the list of standard or established resolutions by looking in toasty X cru yourself.

Hint: if you see the OSD popup (if you have resolution notice enabled) that says "suggested resolution: 1920x1080" it means you are using a custom edid/registry based display scaled resolution. If you want 1024x768 to have a VT tweak, it has to be GPU scaled from 1920x1080. Then you can use the video card 1:1 or Aspect settings to change the aspect ratio.

So, if you want to use 1024x768 with Vertical total tweaks, you need to force all resolutions to be GPU scaled from 1920x1080. You can do that by enabling "GPU - GPU scaling (something like this)" in Nvidia, or GPU scaling on AMD cards.

It's better in my opinon if you want a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 display like the 1080p monitors, to create a CUSTOM defined 1440x1080 detailed resolution in CRU. But due to the way the scaler operates with VT tweaks, you will have to use the VIDEO CARD to select 1:1 aspect settings because the monitor scaler, when it sees a VT 1500 tweak, will think the horizontal is 1280 and vertical is 1440 (long story; don't worry about this now). Focus on the above paragraph instead.