BenQ XL2411Z

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Supernovav

BenQ XL2411Z

Post by Supernovav » 16 Apr 2015, 03:08

Hey everyone,

So I was finally able to order my BenQ XL2411Z and hopefully if arrives soon. But before it comes I just wanted to figure out what I should know. I read different things and watch video but they all soft of give me different advice on what to do so I'm not too sure. I bought it from staples in Canada so if anyone has bought from them before could tell me if it came with v2 that would be great. So right now I mainly play a lot of CSGO and my old Samsung monitor broke so I needed a new one.

I was reading on 120hz + light boost to get rid of any motion blur and ghosting which sounds great but then I have other people saying to use 144hz to get the 1ms response time.

For argument sake if 120hz + light boost looks better but 144hz is better for csgo, are there profiles I can make to switch between the two?

IF there is any Sticky or how to for noobs on here and I missed it, I apologise. Just link and I'll gladly read it!

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2411Z

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Apr 2015, 03:51

There's a faq I wrote (simplified) that explains how to update the firmware to v4 which gains you a hidden AMA setting and improves blur reduction overdrive/ghosting, but your post should be in the benq forum. You'll need a USB boot drive with Ubuntu installed to update the firmware. and it's easiest (no risk as long as you find the right i2c address) to do it on a laptop with a VGA port on it (the benq would be hooked up through VGA in standby mode).

While this can also be done through a PC with a DVI port, you still need to boot with another active display adapter, as the Benq needs to be powered off, so you would need a second video card or an IGPU, and finding the correct address of the Benq takes some work.

The newest shipments from Benq come with V4 firmware, but the only way to guarantee that is to order from Benq's own web shop and to talk to a CS Rep and to tell them specificially that you want your monitor flashed with version 4 firmware.

The Linux method is 100% safe, but the hard part is finding out what port and address corresponds to the monitor; my post gave the common port (0x50 or 0x49) for laptop based flashing to VGA, and the bus either being bus 0 or 1. If you're going through DVI, and a second video card, you're on your own...

Supernovav

Post by Supernovav » 16 Apr 2015, 12:40

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at your post! So why is it that I have to get the v4 firmware from a rep and it isn't on their BenQ page?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Apr 2015, 13:24

You'll have to ask Benq about that.
Sorry :( No one knows why it isn't on their monitor homepage.

The firmware files have all been dumped and are linked on the V4 post titled XL2420Z/XL2720Z (the 11z firmware is in a different post but is linked at the end of the thread).

Supernovav

Post by Supernovav » 18 Apr 2015, 04:06

Hey, so I did the whole ToastyX 1350 trick but it isn't showing up in my resolutions, I have an HD 7870 if that matters.