Increasing PG278Q ULMB brightness?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Bishi

Increasing PG278Q ULMB brightness?

Post by Bishi » 04 May 2015, 02:01

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me knew a way to increase ULMB brightness on the PG278Q. I previously used the XL2720Z with the new firmware and tool and loved the bright ULMB which was superior to the PG278Q ULMB (everything else about this monitor is great though.

Any ideas?

lexlazootin

Re: Increasing PG278Q ULMB brightness?

Post by lexlazootin » 04 May 2015, 02:29

Is there any persistence slider on the PG278Q? if so, turn that up. it's pretty much all you can do.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 04 May 2015, 02:37

Yeah its at 100. I believe the vertical 1350/1500 or similar trick won't work with this monitor?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 06:57

Bishi wrote:Yeah its at 100. I believe the vertical 1350/1500 or similar trick won't work with this monitor?
If it has accelerated scanout, then VT tweaks won't work, And since Lightboost has accel scanout and ULMB is the Nvidia sequel to lightboost, it probably most certainly has it also. Accelerated scanout does the same thing that the maximum vertical total tweak does (VT 1502). You will notice that by switching from lightboost mode to Benq BR mode w/ VT 1502 on the same monitor and noticing the exact same faint horizontal scanlines effect (usually around the top of the screen) and by noticing the same far top and far bottom increasing crosstalk in test ufo alien invasion fullscreen). Just Lightboost does this by processing data on the LC panel while VT 1502 does it tricking the panel into updating a "virtual" larger vertical screen (which confuses the scaler and bugs Aspect mode; you can see that with V4 firmware and the factory burn-in service menu; V2 won't show it)

BTW the main reason the VT tweak increases the brightness is due to higher persistence values being forced due to the scaler seeing a bizarre resolution (1280 (half of 2560) x 1440) and switching to 60 hz backlight pulse widths instead of the shorter persistence 100 or 120hz pulse widths.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 04 May 2015, 09:06

Falkentyne wrote:
Bishi wrote:Yeah its at 100. I believe the vertical 1350/1500 or similar trick won't work with this monitor?
If it has accelerated scanout, then VT tweaks won't work, And since Lightboost has accel scanout and ULMB is the Nvidia sequel to lightboost, it probably most certainly has it also. Accelerated scanout does the same thing that the maximum vertical total tweak does (VT 1502). You will notice that by switching from lightboost mode to Benq BR mode w/ VT 1502 on the same monitor and noticing the exact same faint horizontal scanlines effect (usually around the top of the screen) and by noticing the same far top and far bottom increasing crosstalk in test ufo alien invasion fullscreen). Just Lightboost does this by processing data on the LC panel while VT 1502 does it tricking the panel into updating a "virtual" larger vertical screen (which confuses the scaler and bugs Aspect mode; you can see that with V4 firmware and the factory burn-in service menu; V2 won't show it)

BTW the main reason the VT tweak increases the brightness is due to higher persistence values being forced due to the scaler seeing a bizarre resolution (1280 (half of 2560) x 1440) and switching to 60 hz backlight pulse widths instead of the shorter persistence 100 or 120hz pulse widths.
Thank you for the in-depth expanation. I'll take that as a no then :|

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 09:28

What firmware did you have for your 2720Z?
Do you still have the monitor?
Last edited by Falkentyne on 04 May 2015, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 04 May 2015, 09:32

Falkentyne wrote:What firmware did you have for your 2720Z?
It was the v2 that allowed it to go really bright using the Blur Busters tool, I sold the screen once I bought the PG278Q.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 09:36

Sigh.
You should have kept it.

V4 is out. Did you see the massive differences in it?

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2147

Now that I'm using it, I would never touch a freesync or gsync monitor.
I even decided to play COD Advanced warfare at 60 hz refresh rate with blur reduction off.
There were no stutters or tearing. But the blurry mess ..that's what a freesync and gsync mode would do, except you wouldn't get the input lag associated with vsync on. Gsync and freesync doesn't "really" eliminate stutters. That's marketing. It eliminates tearing that is caused by vsync off, while eliminating uneven synchronization (I guess you could call that 'stuttering', then?) from using triplebuffering when the framerate doesn't match the refresh rate. It's just a combination of vsync, triplebuffering and variable refresh rate.

60 hz single strobe with vsync on would increase my enjoyment more than freesync or gsync UNLESS unplayable input lag was added or if the framerate dropped below 60hz/60 fps. But these freesync and gsync monitors can't single strobe at 60 hz. (The Benq XL2730Z has a firmware bug or massive oversight where the option is MISSING from the service menu.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 04 May 2015, 09:53

Falkentyne wrote:Sigh.
You should have kept it.

V4 is out. Did you see the massive differences in it?

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2147

Now that I'm using it, I would never touch a freesync or gsync monitor.
I even decided to play COD Advanced warfare at 60 hz refresh rate with blur reduction off.
There were no stutters or tearing. But the blurry mess ..that's what a freesync and gsync mode would do, except you wouldn't get the input lag associated with vsync on. Gsync and freesync doesn't "really" eliminate stutters. That's marketing. It eliminates tearing that is caused by vsync off, while eliminating uneven synchronization (I guess you could call that 'stuttering', then?) from using triplebuffering when the framerate doesn't match the refresh rate. It's just a combination of vsync, triplebuffering and variable refresh rate.

60 hz single strobe with vsync on would increase my enjoyment more than freesync or gsync UNLESS unplayable input lag was added or if the framerate dropped below 60hz/60 fps. But these freesync and gsync monitors can't single strobe at 60 hz. (The Benq XL2730Z has a firmware bug or massive oversight where the option is MISSING from the service menu.
Yeah v4 wasn't around when I had the monitor but v1 vs v2 was like night and day.

The PG278Q GSYNC is great and everything but that's not why I bought the monitor, I'm not really interested in gaming below 100hz/100FPS so the GSYNC is very much a bonus anyway, I bought it because I wanted 2560x1440 @ 144hz.
It is an awesome screen though. This screen easily beats the XL2720Z in every other way, I just miss that ULMB brightness as I personally find the brightness levels for ULMB on the PG278Q makes that mode unusable, which is a shame because in ULMB mode the colours are far less washed out than on the Benq (at least in v2) so if there was a way to make it brighter it'd be my ideal screen.

At the time of purchase I kinda expected there would be a similar hack possible on other new ULMB screens

I must admit, the XL2730Z is tempting though now that I know the Predator is a 75hz let down :|

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 10:43

I just wait to wait until variable refresh rate (g/free sync) can be used with motion blur reduction.
Once that happens, we should be back on the CRT quality (minus infinite contrast ratio) bandwagon that was started with Lightboost.

The thing is, if people remember back in the day, you were doing good to get 30 FPS on a CRT late in the 90's. The thing was even though CRT's were strobed, due to the differences in the panels, 30 fps on a CRT, OR, getting lower FPS than refresh rate on a CRT looked significantly better than strobed LCDs' under the same conditions.