is in game v-sync mandatory for 2d lightboost ?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
tigerman

is in game v-sync mandatory for 2d lightboost ?

Post by tigerman » 20 Jan 2014, 09:58

Hi everyone, i've just ordered an Asus VG24QE in order to use lightboost for both 2d and 3d gaming.
While i know that v-sync is mandatory for 3d gaming i would like to know if there is a way to use 2d lightboost with v-sync off.
let's say i want to play Quakelive where i can hit 120+ fps easily.
So i would not need any v-sync as i will have minimal tearing or stutter.
I have a 3d emitter but i'm sure that if i want to use 2d lightboost using the 3d emitter method the game will be v-synched so i'll get extra input lag as far as i know.
Instead if i use the ToastyX i've read i can use both Vsync or Adaptive VSync, am i able also to use vsync completely off ?

can't wait to get that monitor on my hands, i currently use 3dvision glasses (with an old samsung 2233rz) as backlight strobe (well, i should call it an "overdisplay strobe mask" instead) and it works great (testufo confirmed) but i want to get rid of the glasses for 2d gaming and see all the frames on both eyes!)

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: is in game v-sync mandatory for 2d lightboost ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 10:15

tigerman wrote:Hi everyone, i've just ordered an Asus VG24QE in order to use lightboost for both 2d and 3d gaming.
While i know that v-sync is mandatory for 3d gaming i would like to know if there is a way to use 2d lightboost with v-sync off.
let's say i want to play Quakelive where i can hit 120+ fps easily.
So i would not need any v-sync as i will have minimal tearing or stutter.
No, VSYNC isn't mandatory for 2D LightBoost.
It works fine with VSYNC ON/OFF.

The misunderstanding is likely because
-- Old LightBoost method using 3D emitter; often used with VSYNC ON. But you can use ToastyX or the EDID override methods.
-- All flicker displays gets better motion during framerate == refreshrate == stroberate(flickerrate) so people sometimes use VSYNC ON to make strobing look better

If you prefer maximum motion clarity instead of minimum possible lag, and that's why a some people love VSYNC ON with strobed displays at least when playing solo, or if they're not as picky about lag, etc.

Doesn't matter which type of flicker/strobed technology: CRTs, plasmas, LightBoost, ULMB, and any strobed/flicker display, they all hit their motion clarity sweet spots (not necessarily lag sweet spot) at framerate == refreshrate == stroberate. If you're aiming for less lag, obviously, you want to use VSYNC OFF or GSYNC instead of VSYNC ON.

But none of the above requires VSYNC OFF. It can look perfectly fine at 125fps or 300fps. The lack of motion blur does make tearing/microstutters easier to see. It's just a matter of preference -- if you're looking to maximize theoretical possible motion fluidity (at the expense of lag), or looking to reach a good balance (for competitive gameplay).

For minimum possible lag -- use VSYNC OFF, and find good framerate cap (maintain fluidity while balancing tearing/stutter).
For best possible motion if you're super-sensitive -- use VSYNC ON and keep framerate capped-out.
If you were aiming for the best possible motion, LightBoost/CRT/Plasma/ULMB particularly benefits from framerate-refreshrate matching.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tigerman

Post by tigerman » 20 Jan 2014, 10:55

i will have to use the toastyx program in order to unlock v-sync right?
If i use the emitter method vsync will be always on afaik (at least this is what happens with my current monitor)

thanks for your exhaustive answer

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 11:17

tigerman wrote:i will have to use the toastyx program in order to unlock v-sync right?
If you use any of the non-emitter methods (not just ToastyX), VSYNC OFF works normally as before.
ToastyX method is the easiest and most recommended method in the LightBoost HOWTO.
tigerman wrote:If i use the emitter method vsync will be always on afaik (at least this is what happens with my current monitor)
Yes, that's correct. It's due to 3D Vision requiring VSYNC ON to work properly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tigerman

Post by tigerman » 23 Jan 2014, 10:14

it looks toastyx it's incompatible with 3dvision, once i enable 3D i get a red message on the center of the screen saying i'm attempting to use 3d on a no-3d resolution, and also the eyes are swapped.
is that normal?

is there a way to let both co-exists togheter?
for example is there a way to install 120hz with no lightboost (i'll use on 100 and 110 only) so i will be able to use that refresh for 3dvision?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 18:23

tigerman wrote:it looks toastyx it's incompatible with 3dvision, once i enable 3D i get a red message on the center of the screen saying i'm attempting to use 3d on a no-3d resolution, and also the eyes are swapped.
Are you using ToastyX Strobelight beta3 or beta4? One of the betas (beta3 or beta4) supposedly fixes the problem, ask ToastyX of monitortests.com for a copy of the 3D Vision compatible version.