How to tell if lightboost is working in games?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Shake

How to tell if lightboost is working in games?

Post by Shake » 09 Jun 2015, 12:38

Hey guys. I'm not super tech savvy so sorry if this stuff is obvious. I installed the toastyx lightboost utility yesterday. My monitor is an ASUS VG248QE (doesn't have the g-sync upgrade) It's a 144hz monitor and I set the refresh rate to 120hz using the installer in the zip file. It seems like everything is working fine on my desktop. My monitor is noticeably darker when lightboost is on and when I toggle it off it looks as it did before installing lightboost.

My question is this: Does lightboost automatically work in games/programs or do I need to somehow mess with the settings of games. The reason I'm asking is because when I toggle lightboost on and off while playing CSGO or other games, the brightness of the game looks exactly the same whereas on my desktop/other programs I can see a very noticeable difference in brightness. I can't really notice any difference in blur reduction either in game, at least not one that is significant enough to convince me it's not just a placebo effect of having lightboost toggled on. I'm not sure if its really supposed to be that significant anyway to be super noticeable, but because my brightness is the same with it on/off in games I figured I'd ask here anyway.

Thanks!

lexlazootin

Re: How to tell if lightboost is working in games?

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Jun 2015, 13:43

make sure your Nvidia drivers are up to date and try choosing to use ULMB in the Nvidia control panel for the game you are trying to test and then launching the game and enabling it on your monitor. The screen should get darker like it does in the desktop and i know it's not scientific but you should also be able to notice less motion blur on sight alone. you might be able to notice the stroboscopic effect aswell.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Jun 2015, 13:57

Lightboost will only work if the custom refresh rates with the lightboost vertical totals are active.
For 100hz, this is 1138
110 hz: 1143
120hz: 1149

120hz may still activate lightboost up to 1190 VT before you get an out of range signal.
60hz will kick into lightboost mode at 1179 VT, however there is no strobe data for refresh rates lower than 100hz, so it will strobe at 120hz (this is known as double strobe), and won't look much better than LB disabled. You can make other custom refresh rates lower than 100hz strobe also, but it wont be in 'half sync' like 60hz is to 120hz pulses so you will get massive stuttering (I even made 91 hz go into lightboost but it was unplayable).

Anyway, in order to keep lightboost on at all times, you need to uncheck in the Nvidia control panel "use highest refresh rate available", and go into toastyX custom resolution utility and delete the established, standard resolutions and the extension block and have only the lightboost refresh rates showing in detailed resolutions. If the only detailed resolutions are 100hz (1138 vertical total), 1149 (120hz VT), etc, every game will use 100hz minimum and be in lightboost.

flood

Post by flood » 09 Jun 2015, 20:46

wave your finger in front of the monitor

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 10 Jun 2015, 01:37

flood wrote:wave your finger in front of the monitor
Yup. If it's off, your finger's silhouette will just be a blur, if it's on, it will be several distinct shadows.