ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
nimbulan

Re: ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Post by nimbulan » 25 Jan 2014, 02:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:nimbulan/lowfat, mind if you comment on the motion blur reductions of doing LightBoost=10%?
I didn't play around with Lightboost enough to compare the different settings. I do know that 10% looked very sharp as expected.

lowfat

Post by lowfat » 25 Jan 2014, 11:54

I've never ever used any other setting above 10% so I can't comment on the different in motion blur. Anything higher is just way too bright for me to use. If the G-Sync PCB doesn't allow for such a low brightness that is another reason for me to avoid it.

HeLLoWorld

Post by HeLLoWorld » 25 Jan 2014, 20:09

Hi.
I'm a recent owner of VG248QE, which I just bought to give it a try for a g-sync giveaway associated with a hardware news site in my country. My opinion will not be a very enlightened one because I just got it, but I did try lightboost via ToastyX's Strobelight and have set it to several values, but not enough to give an experienced feedback. I do though have it set to 10% as a permanent resolution now to experience the lowest motion blur for now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2014, 01:18

lowfat wrote:I've never ever used any other setting above 10% so I can't comment on the different in motion blur. Anything higher is just way too bright for me to use. If the G-Sync PCB doesn't allow for such a low brightness that is another reason for me to avoid it.
The ULMB in GSYNC monitors have a much wider brightness adjustment range, and can go dimmer than LightBoost=10%. However, it uses voltage control, not strobe width. So you don't get less motion blur during lower brightness like you do with LightBoost. ULMB persistence is currently fixed at 2ms, similar to LightBoost=60% but at all brightness levels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2014, 01:20

nimbulan wrote:I didn't play around with Lightboost enough to compare the different settings. I do know that 10% looked very sharp as expected.
You can view http://www.testufo.com/photo#pps=1440 while hitting these Strobelight hotkeys:
Ctrl+Alt+0 for LightBoost 100%, about 2.4ms persistence
Ctrl+Alt+1 for LightBoost 10%, about 1.4ms persistence

You will see windowframes become blurrier in the TestUFO panning photo test, at higher strobe length settings. Also, the panning map test is also a good one, especially at 1440 pixels per second panning speed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Scout255

Post by Scout255 » 27 Jan 2014, 12:20

Just got a XL2420TE, I use LB = 10%, anything higher than that is painfully bright. 10% does an excellent job of freezeing motion. If it could go any lower I would likely use that setting as well (i.e. 5%) as it is still slightly too bright for my eyes.

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 27 Jan 2014, 19:45

When I had the VG248QE (bought March 2013) I actually thought Lightboost at 10% was way too dim. The reduced contrast probably influenced that perception though. Lightboost on the VG248QE cuts your contrast ratio in half... looks pretty nasty. Right now I'm not very optimistic that g-syncs monitors will have normal contrast ratios, but we'll see.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 27 Jan 2014, 19:56

Oofloom wrote:When I had the VG248QE (bought March 2013) I actually thought Lightboost at 10% was way too dim. The reduced contrast probably influenced that perception though. Lightboost on the VG248QE cuts your contrast ratio in half... looks pretty nasty. Right now I'm not very optimistic that g-syncs monitors will have normal contrast ratios, but we'll see.
Yeah even using the monitor at 120 or 144 Hz hits your contrast and gamma pretty hard. Lightboost and ULMB just make it worse. I actually feel like the black level is brighter since installing the G-sync kit but it's hard to say for sure since I don't have an unmodified monitor to compare it to.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 20:01

I find the GSYNC VG248QE looks a hell lot better when you raise the monitor as high as possible, then tilt it upwards so that the center of the screen is aimed directly at your face. The gamma becomes MUCH nicer looking. Contrast ratio of VG248QE strobed leaves lots to be desired though, I get much better contrast ratios on 27" strobed monitors than 24" strobed monitors. (My VG278H monitor is the best LightBoost monitor ever made; its LightBoost mode is not color-tinted, has nearly 1000:1 contrast (via OSD Contrast=90%) and still, on average, look better than any strobing does on VG248QE, even after ULMB improvements.

Based on my better LightBoost experiences with 27" panels, I cannot wait to see what ULMB does to a good 27" panel, such as the ASUS ROG PG278Q.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 27 Jan 2014, 20:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I find the GSYNC VG248QE looks a hell lot better when you raise the monitor as high as possible, then tilt it upwards so that the center of the screen is aimed directly at your face. The gamma becomes MUCH nicer looking.
I found I get the least color distortion if rather than having it perpendicular to my line of vision as you'd expect, I tilt it downwards a little bit. Looking directly on you get some color distortion at the top of the panel (and it gets really bad if you try to use it in portrait mode.)