Lightboost on non-native resolutions?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ratedx

Lightboost on non-native resolutions?

Post by ratedx » 16 Oct 2015, 20:19

Just decided to hop on to ask that does lightboost work, if for example I'm using 1920x1080 @ 120hz on desktop and when playing CS:GO my resolution's 1600x900 or 4:3. So, does lightboost work on non-native resolutions?
My monitor's VG248QE, thanks!

Falkentyne

Re: Lightboost on non-native resolutions?

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Oct 2015, 20:42

You need to enable GPU scaling in the video card drivers and then select your lightboost refresh rate. Then when you switch to a lower resolution, the screen will quickly refresh without resetting as the resolution was not changed to the monitor, just scaled to a lower one. Then choose 1:1 or full screen or aspect in the video card panel. This will work perfectly.

It is technically possible to run lightboost at display scaled (instead of gpu scaled) lower custom resolutions that will accept the lightboost vertical totals (only 1440x1080 will accept this without much difficulty due to the vertical being the same as 1920x1080) but this will cause serious image corruption/artifacts on the right side of the screen outside of the display area, and will look very ugly (the display area will still work correctly; it's not worth even trying this.

ratedx

Post by ratedx » 16 Oct 2015, 21:08

Falkentyne wrote:You need to enable GPU scaling in the video card drivers and then select your lightboost refresh rate. Then when you switch to a lower resolution, the screen will quickly refresh without resetting as the resolution was not changed to the monitor, just scaled to a lower one. Then choose 1:1 or full screen or aspect in the video card panel. This will work perfectly.

It is technically possible to run lightboost at display scaled (instead of gpu scaled) lower custom resolutions that will accept the lightboost vertical totals (only 1440x1080 will accept this without much difficulty due to the vertical being the same as 1920x1080) but this will cause serious image corruption/artifacts on the right side of the screen outside of the display area, and will look very ugly (the display area will still work correctly; it's not worth even trying this.
This is the picture of my Nvida control panel: http://puu.sh/kMXJg/3df6c34369.png
I'm using the strobelight beta by ToastyX and have setted up all of that correctly and I'm able to change between 144hz / 120hz. (Keeping it at 120hz atm due to the lightboost.) This being my resolutions tab: http://puu.sh/kMXUL/cf041bb365.png
I'm guessing i have my settings down and lightboost should work with for example 1600x900 as intended?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Oct 2015, 21:28

I cant help you with Nvidia control panel stuff. I have an AMD card.
I just use toastyX CRU to create the Lightboost resolutions and then enable GPU scaling (that's if I want to use lightboost; I only did that to test GPU scaling as I use benq blur reduction).

ratedx

Post by ratedx » 16 Oct 2015, 21:34

Falkentyne wrote:I cant help you with Nvidia control panel stuff. I have an AMD card.
I just use toastyX CRU to create the Lightboost resolutions and then enable GPU scaling (that's if I want to use lightboost; I only did that to test GPU scaling as I use benq blur reduction).
Fair enough, i guess i'll just have to wait for someone that has an Nvidia card to "confirm" my settings or something.
Thanks anyways!