Asus VG248QE: 3 grey horizontal lines running across the top

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
brento

Asus VG248QE: 3 grey horizontal lines running across the top

Post by brento » 12 Nov 2015, 15:09

Hi guys, just noticed today that 3 grey horizontal lines are running across the top of my screen and it's really bothersome. I use 120hz + lightboost but even when I turn off lightboost and switch the 144hz the problem persists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Espen

Re: Asus VG248QE: 3 grey horizontal lines running across the

Post by Espen » 15 Nov 2015, 11:08

Same problem as I got with my benq XL2420Z.

Let me guess. If the monitor is turned of for a couple of hours the problem disappears temporarily?

Falkentyne

Re: Asus VG248QE: 3 grey horizontal lines running across the

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Nov 2015, 23:10

Is the OP still here?

Looks like LCD Burn in to me.
Do you usually leave the monitor on at night or when you're away, with something like a browser window or something else with a high contrast image divider (like white to black lines or panes or borders) sitting on the screen?

Because I had this exact thing on my XL2720Z and especially if I dropped the contrast, it would look so bad on certain grey backgrounds like it looked like a scratch going horizontally through the entire screen!

If that's the case, you can usually fix that by restoring proper balance in the LCD crystals in several ways.

You can try this program. It used to require registration for longer than 10 min but its now freeware and quite useful

http://www.jads.co.uk/screen-repair/jscreenfix-deluxe

LCD's can get screen burn in just like plasmas and CRTs but unlike plasmsa, its usually reversible.
That program definitely works for a lot of people.

But what I did to fix my XL2720Z was turn on the factory menu's burn in mode, then activate burn-in by switching to HDMI input. After leaving the burn in color pattern on for hours, the lines were completely gone at higher contrast. I then used Jscreenfix (various burn in patterns) and managed to fix 90% of that ugly horizontal "bright pixel row" thing I had from image burn-in (usually called image persistence). It's not 100% perfect but it's 90% better than before.

so tl;dr: do what masterotaku does and run a screen saver or turn off your monitors!

I don't know which method works fastest, either one wont be quick. Burn in mode I think uses max voltage to the backlight and cycles high intensity RGB color patterns on the screen, which should eventually remove any uneven current "image persistence" on the LCD panel and if done often enough, make the screen look like new.

The burn in mode on the VG248 is on the service menu (the Benq has both a service menu and a factory menu). Power off then hold the menu button down while pressing power. And keep it held down until the Asus logo is skipped. Then the menu button opens the service menu and you can set burn in mode on.

Then to activate burn in mode, you do the same thing...either switch to HDMI input, or remove the DVI or DP connection from the monitor, which will automatically force color cycling. Let it loop overnight.

To fix the burn in on your xl2420z, open the factory menu (see my main post on how to unlock it), turn on burnin mode, then switch to HDMI input.