Thank you to Blur Busters, Lightboost, manufacturers, et al

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
M5h3i6

Thank you to Blur Busters, Lightboost, manufacturers, et al

Post by M5h3i6 » 02 May 2016, 20:08

I couldn't pm chief blur buster directly instead of posting, because new-user security reasons, and I don't know where else to put this if applicable but for what it's worth thank you so much to the makers and contributors for all the info here. :D The slow motion video was and still is a wonder to see, I am surprised I couldn't have guessed that's what happens. The sample and hold graph is one of my favorites! I bought a lightboost enabled monitor, (VG248qe) it has been the best monitor I've ever used, no question(but of course, in strobed mode! - strobed @ 120hz is much better than non-strobed @ 144hz! : this is the place to realize why). Thanks to this site I remember there are lots of options between Asus, Benq, LG and others, and that's very good. Thank you so much for your website's research and information! From the info here, I quickly used ToastyX and pixelpersistenceanalyzer, they worked great on AMD and NVIDIA hardware, and was seriously near tears watching pixperan by comparison, it's just what I expected. My other monitor's blur from both (edit : whoops! high response time, not low. iirc, pixperan tested the old one at avg 13-15ms iirc. That sorta makes sense for a 60hz monitor's 16.67 ms limit. Monitors like the vg248qe in strobe mode are pretty much off the charts. But the UFO tests are more specific for persistence, both great easy utilities.) high response time and high persistence was so bad. If only I could have had a low persistence monitor next to it, it would be obvious to anyone. I hope much lower persistence displays, doing so in 2d or 3d, all the time, become the norm very soon, and that with g-sync or freesync too? Even better.
Last edited by M5h3i6 on 06 May 2016, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.

spacediver

Re: Thank you to Blur Busters, Lightboost, manufacturers, et

Post by spacediver » 02 May 2016, 21:54

thanks for sharing this M5h. A lot of credit has to be given to some of the posters here who have been amazingly generous with their patience and time.

M5h3i6

Post by M5h3i6 » 03 May 2016, 11:00

Yes too to the posters! There are experts here, it's good to hear from them.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 04 May 2016, 07:38

yes, i would like to thank too, as a long time pc gaming crt user, i have been very dissapointed with display technology advances, specialy on the fact that all non crt monitors i have seen, produce an annoying and unavoidable motion blur, which is the main reason i have refused to adopt those "new" technologies for my gaming likes.

i found this site a while ago, the only site that seems to have really cared to support and research on technologies on modern displays to allow users to eliminate that motion blur on these. and when im currently using a sony fw900 crt which for the moment has practically all the main features i like on a gaming display such a very good motion clarity, its good to know there are monitors such the benq z series that seems to reduce or eliminate that motion blur with the help of the blurbusters staff (strobe utility) even better and closer to crt quality from what i have read.

unfortunately i have not had the oportunity to see one of those monitors or any strobed monitor live in action since in my country these models are not available, but its good to know those exist at least after so many years of waiting, its a good start and at least there are more choices that make you think you would upgrade instead of downgrade.

i would love as well getting this technology more massive worlwide, just like having a "crt" with gsync-free sync, plus the advantages of current monitors such low power consuption, light weight and size etc.

however i see this site quiet lately about that topic, not so much movement as before when the lightboost discovery and then the strobe utility.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2016, 11:49

Main reason is for several reason:

The "Blur reduction 2" series monitor, the XL2730Z, while having better 2D image quality, has fewer strobe adjustments than the XL2720Z and other monitors, and more strobe crosstalk, so the VT tweaks don't work anymore with it as the scalar has been changed.
(the reason why VT tweaks worked with the XL2420Z, XL2720Z, XL2411Z and XL2430T were not because Benq designed it that way; it was from us exploiting a bug in the firmware at the scalar level, at least part of that dealing how the scalar handled accelerated scanout with Lightboost) The single strobe setting (required for 60hz refresh rate) was removed, and refresh rates lower than 120hz won't strobe in sync anymore (it will still use 120hz timings, causing stuttering). The generation 1 blur reduction monitors (this includes the XL2430T) could single strobe at most refresh rates from 60hz to 95hz in 1 hz increments, in combination with single strobe and sometimes a VT tweak to enforce proper strobing, and 100hz-145hz in 1hz increments.

CallsignVega (who was well known for his monitor de-bezeling service) tried a Benq XL2730Z and he didn't like the blur reduction because the crosstalk was too high at 120hz. The percentage of crosstalk that covered the screen vs the physical screen size on the XL2730Z at 120hz, was identical to the % of crosstalk that covered the screen vs the physical screen size on the XL2720Z without a VT tweak installed.

2D overdrive /ghosting artifacts on the XL2720Z, with blur reduction disabled, were better than the XL2730Z (and even the other benq monitors) due to an exploitable overdrive and profile preset bug, regarding blur reduction enabled, but no one knew about this back when it counted.

The strobe windows utility is simply a front end for the service menu; the service menu has full strobe phase range, which is required if you are *NOT* using VT tweaks, for lowest input lag (>Strobe phase=100), or if you are using 60hz with a VT Tweak over Displayport (DVI will require special timings, to avoid a cable error) -->use strobe phase =092 for 60hz with VT. 93=100 do not improve crosstalk and will darken the screen even more.

Most monitors being pushed now are Gsync monitors with ULMB, which care limited to 85hz, 100hz and sometimes 120hz ULMB, and ULMB does NOT increase voltage to the backlight to compensate for strobing, making ULMB significantly darker than Benq blur reduction at the same pulse width. Only pulse width is adjustable.

alm0st

Post by alm0st » 04 May 2016, 13:23

I´ve got the BenQ XL2411Z like one or two months ago and I´m not very happy with it. It´s using the firmware V4 and I´ve tried just everything that can be found on the internet to set it up correctly. The problem is, that I still got massive motion blurring, what is really annoying and hurting in the eyes. I´ve been using 120Hz and the VT1502 tweak and the blur busters tool, but it doesn´t seem to work ... I am really sad about this and I would strongly appreciate it, if somebody would please give me some good advice how to set this monitor up correctly.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 May 2016, 23:25

Use VT 1500 at 120hz. use VT 1502 at 100hz.

Sometimes VT 1502 will fail to sync correctly and will cause repeated stutters, especially when changing picture modes on the monitor or sometimes when initializing refresh rates.
This seems to occur about 15% of the time on a mode switch. it's scalar based so it would affect all of the Z+XL2430T monitors.

I doubt this is the issue you're having, however.
I explained ways to improve the ghosting/overdrive artifacts in my VT thread I posted here and in the other section.