G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Fluffy

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by Fluffy » 02 Mar 2017, 23:47

Acer XB241H confirmed

Hello dear Blurbusters! Long time reader, first time poster here. A week ago I have finally swapped my good old 226bw derelict, for a g-sync animal - XB241H - Predator (budget, but a very very decent TN). After a few days of enjoying my new 144 Hz/180 Hz, G-sync and ULMB, I have finally come across this topic.

Long story short. The monitor is very happy to do ULMB + G-sync at the same time, without the need of 3dVison or anything else. Works perfect, and actually resembled me my old 959nf CRT. No lag, crosstalk, tearing, stutters, blur, etc. The only drawback are the 120Hz and sudden changes in/flashes of black frames if the fps is too variable, since the refresh speed of the inserted black frames varies with your fps (mostly noticeable at the loading screens, when fps drops to like 5-10 and almost or completely unnoticeable if you constantly float around 120 fps, doesn't annoy me that much, but could be to some of the people). You can game at 60 fps alright if the frames are stable, it is just the sudden jumps of fps, and if you having a lot of them like in World of Warcraft when the number of players around you constantly changes, e.g. 120-110-100 and then back to 120fps, and in cities you get a lot of them. On the other hand, you barely see it in the Doom games, since you hold stable 120 fps.

So far I have tested it in Nvidia Pendulum Test, Quake 2, Doom 3: BFG, Doom 2016 (Both of the Dooms are pure awesomeness, so fluid, so quick and so clear) and World of Warcraft.

I don't actually know if it will work for other monitors (maybe ASUS equivalent of my Acer). However, if anyone is interested, I can write a step by step of how I did it.

With best regards,
Fluffy
Last edited by Fluffy on 23 Jan 2020, 11:39, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2017, 18:19

That's fantastic --

What tricks did you need to do to enable GSYNC and ULMB at the same time for this particular display?

Yes, please write a step-by-step on how you did it with the Acer.

Thanks!
Mark Rejhon
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Trip

Post by Trip » 04 Mar 2017, 20:10

Nothing seems to work for the xb270hu with firmware version 1. Think its because it does not support 3d vision and therefore no lightboost. If I use the vertical total +5 trick it actually turns off ulmb while in the correct refresh rate.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » 04 Mar 2017, 20:27

Edit 01/2020:

For Acer XB241H, the old Lightboost method is obsolete. Use +1 VT method instead.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883&start=180#p25654

With best regards,
Fluffy
Last edited by Fluffy on 23 Jan 2020, 11:47, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2017, 22:00

Fascinating, thanks for posting.

I think your exact trick might also work on Dells too (SD2716G users will need to try this).

I will do some experiments on some GSYNC monitors I have sitting here, and see if these tricks work with them too.

Several Acer monitors have pre-unlocked LightBoost, which makes this trick a LOT simpler.
I'm not 100% sure it will work on other brands like BENQ XL2420G which I have here, but I will give it a try.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Mar 2017, 22:26

I'm not entirely sure that you need strobelight. I could be talking out of my butt, but I'm pretty sure all you need to do is create the 121hz resolution in toastyX CRU (1920x1080, 120.5 hz), or 2560x1440, 120.5 hz.

I suggest you try that. Because you cannot activate Lightboost at all on 27" monitors, without a 3d vision 2 kit, so strobelight will not work anyway.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2017, 23:26

Falkentyne,

LightBoost requires a special exact Vertical Total that unlocks the mode. This is well known for 1920x1080 but what's the special Vertical Total for 2560x1440? I've never succeeded in 'tricking' my ASUS ROG PG278Q into LightBoost mode instead of ULMB mode.
Falkentyne wrote:I suggest you try that. Because you cannot activate Lightboost at all on 27" monitors, without a 3d vision 2 kit, so strobelight will not work anyway.
Strobelight is still VERY useful on these monitors because it automatically creates the special Vertical Total required on all 1080p LightBoost monitors. :D

In fact, StrobeLight will still even turn it on/off for you -- once you've got it tricked into working via another means (e.g. 3D glasses kit). What StrobeLight does not do is do the automatic LightBoost unlock on unsupported monitors.

kayaknate

Post by kayaknate » 08 Mar 2017, 12:24

lexlazootin wrote:I've got a feeling this is a way to activate the glitch without glasses, if someone has the Dell please tell me if this works.

1. Disable G-Sync

2. Enable ULMB in monitor

3. Create a custom res and ADD +5 to your Vertical Total

4. Enable G-Sync

And that should work... maybe... When i do this with my XL2420G the lightboost light is on and when i play games my screen goes black.
What do you mean by add +5 to your vertical total? Is this referring to vertical res? So for my dell 1440, I should set it to 1445?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Mar 2017, 10:24

kayaknate wrote:What do you mean by add +5 to your vertical total? Is this referring to vertical res? So for my dell 1440, I should set it to 1445?
No no, just the "Total pixels:" in the Vertical columns. just will skip a few steps and enable lightboost. After you do that, create another resolution with -1 on the active pixel vertical, select it, enable G-Sync and in theory you're good to go.

Idk if it will work tho, please report back if it does.

Edit: actually i change my mind, i don't think this will work. i just don't think it's as complicated as the instructions that were given, i just don't have a monitor that can test it because my G-Sync monitor doesn't work with the glitch :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2017, 13:15

kayaknate wrote:What do you mean by add +5 to your vertical total? Is this referring to vertical res? So for my dell 1440, I should set it to 1445?
Blur Busters Custom Resolution Terminology 101
Vertical Total is a CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) terminology.

Both AMD and NVIDIA control panels have custom resolution tweaking utilities built in. Or you can use a third party tweaking utility such as ToastyX CRU. In these utilities, you see terms like "Vertical", "Horizontal", "Vertical Front Porch", "Back Porch", "Sync", etc.

Imagine the screen matrix like a calendar.
  • Horizontal Sync: There are hidden synchronization pixels beyond left-edge of screen (like a Sunday) & right-edge of screen (like a Saturday)
  • Vertical Sync: There are hidden synchronization pixels beyond top edge and after bottom edge (e.g. like 1st week and 5th week).
  • Visible resolution: Metaphorically this is like the weekdays of 2nd through the 4th weeks of a calendar. The "pixels" (days) at the top/bottom/left/right edges of the calendar is invisible (hidden off-screen). Like only being able to view the centre of a calendar through a rectangular stencil. That's the "active resolution"
  • More complexly, within both Horizontal Sync and Vertical Sync there can be multiple hidden dotclock/pixels (Front Porch, Sync, Back Porch). Instead of just 1 hidden pixel at the edges. There can be hundreds of hidden pixels for display synchronization purposes.
  • Vertical Total is the grand total of Vertical Resolution + Vertical Sync + Vertical Back Porch + Vertical Front Porch
  • Horizontal Total is the grand total of Horizontal Resolution + Horizontal Sync + Horizontal Back Porch + Horizontal Front Porch
  • On Blur Busters Forums, "CRU" means Custom Resolution Utility, and "VT" means Vertical Total.
Pixels are transmitted over a cable (VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI) from the computer to the monitor essentially one pixel at a time sequentially (even if packetized on DisplayPort). At dotclock rate (e.g. often 300-350Mhz dotclock for 1920x1080 120-144Hz). Like days on a calendar are transmitted, left to right, top to bottom, scanned-out. The hidden "days" at the edge of this metaphorical calendar are used for synchronization purposes (e.g. telling the monitor it's time to begin displaying the next row of pixels) - porches and sync are hidden off the edges of the screen.

Around these forums, it's often mentioned by BENQ Blur Reduction users. VT1350 is a Vertical Total of 1350 which is sometimes used by BENQ XL2720Z users to improve the quality of BENQ Blur Reduction (larger blanking interval == more time for LCD GtG transitions to finish in darkness before blur reduction strobe backlight flash, ala high speed video of strobe backlight). This means 1080 visible, plus 270 other (total of Vertical Sync + Vertical Back Porch + Vertical Front Porch) = 1080 + 270 = 1350.

However, Vertical Total tweaks are often useful for other tweaks/hacks including unlocking ULMB+GSYNC simultaneously on certain monitors.