G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jan 2017, 11:03

masterotaku wrote:About the fps cap, keep in mind that this G-Sync + ULMB mode only works at 100Hz and 120Hz, because you have to be in Lightboost mode when you create the custom resolution. So with a 120fps cap you are hitting the G-Sync limit. It should be fine with slightly lower fps, I guess.
So the only choices are 30-100Hz and 30-120Hz variable-rate strobed GSYNC.

That still provides the ability to fps_max at slightly lower rates, such as 118, and let the render times jitter around that.

SStrobing still adds input lag, but less input lag than VSYNC ON. The strobed GSYNC bypasses the problem simply by strobing when the frame is delivered. So it could jitter anywhere between 59Hz-61Hz and still strobe flawlessly without skipped or dropped frames (like the 60fps-30fps-60fps problem of VSYNC ON). It'd just go 60-60-60-60-59-58-59-60-60-60 in those render time near-miss moments.

It'd be nice to set a minimum GYNC limit (e.g. 50fps) since I wouldn't want the strobing to go lower than that, as it would flicker quite nasty at that point.

I guess this makes it the new favourite "single-strobe 60Hz" monitor, replacing the BENQ Z-Series (until BENQ re-adds strobed modes).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 25 Jan 2017, 13:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Strobed 60Hz is available through the GSYNC+ULMB trick? Neat!
Of course! It would be sad if double strobing started at a higher point than that.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:So the only choices are 30-100Hz and 30-120Hz variable-rate strobed GSYNC.
More like 40-100Hz and 40-120Hz. Below 40fps, it starts to double strobe. I would like and option to reduce the lower limit to under 30fps :lol: . Although flickering is mostly noticeable when there are loading screens or sudden stutters, because the monitor starts to strobe at the minimum Hz it can and maybe varying wildly for a brief time. Other than that, it's gorgeous.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: I guess this makes it the new favourite "single-strobe 60Hz" monitor, replacing the BENQ Z-Series (until BENQ re-adds strobed modes).
Yes, at least until someone makes this work in other monitors like the Dell S2417DG (it has better overdrive and no pixel inversion, according to people). It's fascinating how I stumbled upon these monitor bugs, just when I was a bit angry that my monitor didn't have ULMB at 60Hz. I have to thank 3D Vision 2 for it.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 25 Jan 2017, 18:28

Finally got this to work with the BenQ XL2420G.

So the steps I took were:

1) Create a Custom resolution at 120Hz with 1 or 2 pixels LESS on the horizontal number so mine was 1918 rather than 1920. (More would never actually let me set the resolution after creating it).

2) Turn off Gsync and Turn on ULMB in the monitor menu.

3) Turn GSYNC on which will automatically turn ULMB off.

4) Attempt to enable Stereoscopic 3D which will warn you that G-Sync will be turned off, say ok and Select the option for 3D emitter. It will say to plug in the 3D emitter. Cancel and exit the setup instead.

Now if you check the Nvidia options G-Sync will be on, check the monitor menu, ULMB should be on. If the screen is a bit blurry go to "adjust desktop size and position" in the Nvidia control panel and select no scaling BUT DO NOT select the override checkbox below it.

So it looks like you might not need a 3D emitter but just the 3D setup menu will trigger it.

This worked for my setup using the XL2420G and Windows 10.

InvisibleMan3

Post by InvisibleMan3 » 25 Jan 2017, 21:26

Oh wow!

Variable strobe rate GSYNC works on the XL2420G too?
Does it appear to successfully ramp the strobing up and down?

I might buy the XL2420G because of this feature, please let me know if it really synchronized strobing...

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 25 Jan 2017, 21:43

Use CRU and copy your 120hz settings to a new resolution, add 1 extra pixel and save.
Restart graphic driver

And see if new custom res is showing up in windows
If it is not showing up then you probably have too many resolutions, on my acer ones I need to remove one of the for the new one to show up

If it does, then it will work at least does on my 2 Acer monitors
and if it works it wont look unsharp or anything. looks perfectly fine

Best,
Kandor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jan 2017, 21:45

Hmmmm. I am going to try this on the ASUS PG278Q, which I have sitting on my desk.

EDIT:
- 2558x1440 works in GSYNC mode or ULMB mode (either).
- Perfectly scaled, just 2 vertical columns of pixels missing at the edge of screen.
- I'm having trouble forcing 3D mode to trick both to run concurrently.
- Now reinstalling all drivers via GeForce Experience...

EDIT2:
- Got GSYNC "enabled" with ULMB with the new instructions* <--- asterik, asterik, asterik!!!

*UNFORTUNATELY.... it's not working the way it "should". It's fixed-rate 120Hz strobing, and not varying stroberate with the GSYNC. The benefits aren't there, in the one-flash-per-refresh required.

Is this something that works better on XL2420G, or is it fixed-rate strobing with variable-framerate GSYNC? The stutters are quite awful. It's certainly a bugged out mode, but has none of the GSYNC benefits; It looks like it's currently in a non-GSYNC mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jan 2017, 23:13

Hmmm... I wonder if variable-rate strobing will work if I used LightBoost instead of ULMB. Both are strobed modes that works nearly identically, with some minor differences -- slightly different overdrive settings -- and slightly different strobing logic.

The ACI27F8 trick (rename device in ToastyX CRU to match a VG278H's) has often been the old mainstay in tricking many displays into enabling LightBoost without a 3D emitter, and without ToastyX CRU... This is the EDID override method, but this can be manually done in ToastyX CRU (an additional alternative LightBoost HOWTO).

Now, I wonder if this same trick can also trick LightBoost to be enabled on a 2560x1440 display. I never needed this because ULMB works well, but if LightBoost is needed instead of ULMB to enable variable-rate strobing...

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 26 Jan 2017, 01:56

Chief, can you import my custom resolutions to your PG278Q? Or will they only appear when you connect an S2716DG?
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 26 Jan 2017, 02:33

Yes chief please try that!

I really need to know if this works because I might be tempted to buy an Nvidia card and a Gsync monitor...

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 26 Jan 2017, 05:59

Is new method the one I wrote?

Because I am very unhappy with the results as I have written earlier.

Best,
Kandor
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Hmmmm. I am going to try this on the ASUS PG278Q, which I have sitting on my desk.

EDIT:
- 2558x1440 works in GSYNC mode or ULMB mode (either).
- Perfectly scaled, just 2 vertical columns of pixels missing at the edge of screen.
- I'm having trouble forcing 3D mode to trick both to run concurrently.
- Now reinstalling all drivers via GeForce Experience...

EDIT2:
- Got GSYNC "enabled" with ULMB with the new instructions* <--- asterik, asterik, asterik!!!

*UNFORTUNATELY.... it's not working the way it "should". It's fixed-rate 120Hz strobing, and not varying stroberate with the GSYNC. The benefits aren't there, in the one-flash-per-refresh required.

Is this something that works better on XL2420G, or is it fixed-rate strobing with variable-framerate GSYNC? The stutters are quite awful. It's certainly a bugged out mode, but has none of the GSYNC benefits; It looks like it's currently in a non-GSYNC mode.