G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by RealNC » 21 Apr 2017, 10:51

I don't know of any way to reduce flicker. It can be minimized by having a rock-solid static frame rate. But then there's no point in having -G-Sync. Well, other than a low-latency v-sync alternative without the VRR part.

This secret mode means NVidia is on their way to implement flicker-free G-Sync ULMB. But we won't be getting it in our existing monitors. It's a shame NVidia decided to not allow updating the G-Sync module. It's an FPGA and so can in theory be reprogrammed through the DisplayPort cable. But they went with the monitor vendor wishes: if you want to get G-Sync updates, you need to buy a new monitor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Apr 2017, 14:35

RealNC wrote:This secret mode means NVidia is on their way to implement flicker-free G-Sync ULMB. But we won't be getting it in our existing monitors. It's a shame NVidia decided to not allow updating the G-Sync module. It's an FPGA and so can in theory be reprogrammed through the DisplayPort cable. But they went with the monitor vendor wishes: if you want to get G-Sync updates, you need to buy a new monitor.
Actually, flicker also apparently varies somewhat between models.

Reportedly, some of them are darn near flicker-free at high framerate modulations -- at least for 100-120fps smooth modulations on the Dell model on some game engines. Also, different humans are more sensitive to flicker (and by corollary, framerate-change flicker effect) than others. The simplest way to reduce framerate-change flicker do it is dynamically lengthen-shorten the strobes to keep ON:OFF ratio constant, and keep the framerate modulations consistent.

I wouldn't parrot that information "verbatim" without a caveat, RealNC. Because I have multiple reports of flicker-free transitions (if staying in triple digit ranges), and multiple reports of flickery transitions. And I have at least one private report that flicker is different on one model than other. So... My information is not misinformation. Yes, more study is needed. Yes, further improvement is needed. But there's already situations, with some specific models, by some specific people, that some aren't even seeing the flicker of the framerate changes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sheepdog16

Post by sheepdog16 » 21 Apr 2017, 22:48

I got some good news Cheif: ASUS PG279Q WORKS TOO with G-Sync + ULMB !!! :D [mine at least anyways]

This is primarily thanks to RealNC on this forum for providing the steps (http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=180). I did modify the steps a tad bit though.

Here is the video I posted showing it work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGdRk_9cXE

Here is my computer rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.4 Ghz Core at 1.270V, and @4.1Ghz Cache/Ring at 1.270V
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 with USB 3.1
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti (with EVGA all-in-one AIO liquid cooler) with Driver 381.65
PSU: EVGA 1000w G3 80+ Gold Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Define S
System RAM: 4 x 16GB G.Skills Ripjaws V 2400Mhz CL15 (15-15-15-35) RAM
Storage: Samsung SM961 NVMe (utilizing the 1.4.7.16 Drivers)

*** Monitor: ASUS PG279Q 144Hz (165Hz oveclockable) G-Sync IPS Panel Monitor.
You can see the monitor name within the video when I open the OSD. ***

Here are the steps that I took to make G-Sync + ULMB work together with my ASUS PG279Q Monitor
(I will use 120Hz as an example throughout the steps. I believe you can do this trick with 85Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz).

(1) After having the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers installed, switch to a refresh rate in the NVIDIA Control Panel to any other than 120Hz (switch to 100Hz or 144hz).

(2) Then run CRU (Custom Resolution Utility). Find the entry for 2560x1440 @ 120Hz. If this is not listed under "Detailed Resolutions" near the top-middle of CRU, then you may need to look under "Extension blocks" (Bottem-Middle), and double click your extension blocks entry.
In my case, it said: CEA-861: 5 detailed resolutions, 3 data blocks

(3) Then another dialog box will show, with a list of resolutions and refresh rates. The one you want to see and double click on is: 2560x1440 @ 120Hz (in terms of the refresh rate, it may be something like 119.997Hz)

(4) After double clicking 2560x1440 @ 120Hz, another dialog box will appear. Then click on the bubble that is next to the word "Total:" (Left-Middle).

(5) Then add 5 to the number that is in the "Total" Row, and "Vertical" Column
In my case, the original number was 1525. So I simply replaced it with 1530

(6) Click "OK" on all of the dialog boxes that involve CRU until CRU closes.

(7) Restart the Computer

(8) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and set your refresh rate to 120Hz

(9) In the monitor's OSD, enable ULMB

(10) In the NVIDIA Control Panel, enable G-Sync, then click "Apply" near the bottom right of the NVIDIA Control Panel.
In my case, when I enabled G-Sync, I checked the bubble "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode"

(11) In the "Manage 3D settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, make sure that "Preferred refresh rate" setting is set to "Application-Controlled." Then click "Apply" near the bottom right of the NVIDIA Control Panel.

(12) If the monitor has it, enable the "FPS Counter" within the monitor's OSD. This is to easily see if your refresh rate is actually changing with respect to your FPS, as this counter is NOT AN Framerate Counter (despite the name), but rather, a refresh rate counter.
In my case, the yellow number that I circle a few times in the video is the "refresh rate" counter that I activated within my PG279Q's OSD.

(13) Once you start a game, make sure that it is set to 120Hz within the game. Easiest game to test this with is Overwatch since you can change both Resolution and Refresh Rate.

(14) You may have to switch between either "Fullscreen" or "Windowed"/"Borderless Windowed" mode within the game in order to properly activate both G-Sync + ULMB

Done, G-Sync + ULMB may (or may not) work.

While the video shows it working in Overwatch using "Borderless Windowed" mode, I was later on also able to make G-sync + ULMB work using "FullScreen" mode, but I am not entirely sure how I did that. Still working on how I did that.

Now, a side-effect is the massive amount of flickering that can happen as the frame rate changes. This is likely because with ULMB activated alone, the screen flashes really fast at different speeds at different fixed refresh rates in such a way to emulate a CRT display. Now, with G-Sync + ULMB together, and a varying refresh rate due to varying Framerates, the rate that which the screen flashes to emulate a CRT monitor dynamically changes.
As a result, headaches and/or eye strain is quite likely.

This is why in my video, I have my framerate capped in the Overwatch Settings to 116 FPS. Even then, there is still some flickering due to the ever slight changes in framerates that can happen, and I would not recommend doing long play sessions with this G-Sync + ULMB Combo due to flickering.

To reset everything, go to the extracted CRU folder, launch "reset-all.exe" then restart

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Apr 2017, 05:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Reportedly, some of them are darn near flicker-free at high framerate modulations -- at least for 100-120fps smooth modulations on the Dell model on some game engines.
I wouldn't parrot that information "verbatim" without a caveat, RealNC. Because I have multiple reports of flicker-free transitions (if staying in triple digit ranges), and multiple reports of flickery transitions.
Actually FPS transitions are completely flicker-free here too. For example, in Fallout 4 (with unlocked FPS), and all caches warmed, there's zero flicker when moving the view from the ground (100FPS) to a heavy area (70FPS). The FPS gradually goes down, and ULMB adapts, flicker-free. Then, the Shadow Boost "mod" for Fallout 4 takes over, and raises the frame rate back up, going gradually from 70 back to 100. This is flicker-free once again.

(Shadow Boost is the reason I tested this hack in Fallout 4 and not in other games, so I can test FPS transitions very easily.)

So that's not the issue. The issue is that playing games normally, it can stall for brief moments (loading assets and whatnot.) When that happens, *bang*, black frames. It doesn't have to be a huge stall. Just a 50ms stall is enough to hit you in the face.

Yeah, I understand that a secret, beta, hack mode is not supposed to be perfect (otherwise it would not have been a secret mode, obviously). I'm just saying that realistically, it's not useful in the majority of cases. Will need to experiment some more obviously.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

baffle

Post by baffle » 03 Jun 2017, 18:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Wow, more displays are being confirmed.
"Strobed VRR Hack" aka "ULMB+GSYNC" confirmations:

Confirmed ULMB+GSYNC Hack:
-- Dell SD2716DG
-- Acer XB271HU
-- ViewSonic XG2703-GS

Any other displays that are confirmed?

I will be writing a new BlurBusters HOWTO on the ULMB+GSYNC trick, but we need more confirmations.
  • You list the Acer XB271HU, but do you know if the XB270HU with 120hz ULMB support will also handle "ULMB+GSYNC"?
  • How would I go about trying this out? You mentioned you'd be writing a HOWTO.
  • And will this be BAD for my monitor? Will it overly stress and break it in some way? Are the results worth any potential risks?

NoMoreBlurring

Post by NoMoreBlurring » 25 Jun 2017, 12:17

Hello, I have a Dell S2716DG and I'm trying to activate both ULMB and Gsync together.

I'm trying this method:
1. Disable G-Sync

2. Enable ULMB in monitor

3. Create a custom res and ADD +5 to your Vertical Total

4. Enable G-Sync
This didn't work for me, I disable G-sync and switch to 120hz because above that doesn't allow ULMB. Then I turn on ULMB from the OSD which dims the screen(shows it's working) OSD shows "ULMB" but after that if I create a custom resolution, the brightness goes back to normal and OSD says "Normal mode" not ULMB.

However, if I do steps 1, 2 and then directly 4 it seems to have G-sync On, ULMB mode(OSD text+screen dimmed) at least on the desktop. Going into any game turns it to G-Sync mode tho.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 08 Jul 2017, 02:44

I bought the Asus PG278QR to get better crosstalk/ghosting in 3D (it's a success at that, a lot better than the Dell). It still has vertical scanlines, but it's less noticeable than in the Dell S2716DG.

And holy shit! This monitor is a lot brighter in Lightboost mode. It has a Lightboost option in 3D, but for some unknown reason it doesn't change strobe length at all, so it just acts as brightness and there isn't any reason to use anything other than 100%. I'm a bit mad about this, because I wanted lower motion blur.

The G-Sync + ULMB trick works with this monitor too without problems.

sidspyker wrote:Then I turn on ULMB from the OSD which dims the screen(shows it's working) OSD shows "ULMB" but after that if I create a custom resolution, the brightness goes back to normal and OSD says "Normal mode" not ULMB.
That's normal. In that case, "Normal mode" is Lightboost, and it won't change to ULMB until you enable G-Sync again. Then it will work as G-Sync+ULMB (reported as ULMB in the OSD) when you play a game.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Jul 2017, 11:57

Has anyone heard of any official news about 'true' G-Sync + ULMB? I've put off buying a 240hz because i really wanted this feature but now it looks like it might never come.

knypol

Post by knypol » 08 Jul 2017, 12:54

Wy do U think it might never come..Nvidia said something about that?