G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Luckbad

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by Luckbad » 27 Oct 2016, 02:26

I went on a journey recently to upgrade my monitor.

I started with the BenQ XL2735. It's highly capable and performs rather well. The stock settings are absolutely abysmal, but you can (read: must) tweak a lot of settings to dial it in. It's a great monitor, but it lacks G-Sync and is still at the $550 price point.

After the BenQ, I decided to try out the new Asus PG248Q. It's a Best Buy exclusive 24" 1080p monitor with G-Sync. Pricey at $450 but it has all the bells and whistles. I discovered that I can now see the pixels in 1080p monitors. One 1440p monitor and I'm ruined forever. I decided to go ahead and return that, but wanted to figure out the next monitor first.

I saw on the Best Buy website that the Dell S2716DG was on sale for $480. Surely, this must be a piece of crap if it's a 27" G-Sync monitor at 1440p with 1ms GTG at 144Hz. It boasts the stats, but it can't be great for that price, right? Right? So I bought it to find out.

Monitor found.

Stock settings are a bit bright and washed out like just about every gaming monitor I've ever seen, but a quick visit to TFT Central yielded excellent results. Now the display looks absolutely outstanding and is crisp and responsive in Overwatch, Battlefield 1, and World of Warcraft.

The slim bezel helps make it not feel like such a huge monitor like the BenQ did despite being the same screen size.

Now I need to dig into this thread and find out how to make ULMB and G-Sync coexist.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 27 Oct 2016, 12:15

Luckbad wrote: Now I need to dig into this thread and find out how to make ULMB and G-Sync coexist.
Not much to dig. You need a 3D Vision 2 (or 1, but that's old) emitter and Windows 7 (8 is unconfirmed). After that, just do what I do here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYs12P6l6_Y
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Nov 2016, 16:28

<monitor hackers>

Hackers/Engineers, there's ways of massively improving the image quality of strobed variable refresh rate operation (eliminating the most problematic flicker artifacts/brightness modulation artifacts).

For monitor hackers and engineers (the kinds who's been able to design high-refresh-rate monitors or develop strobe backlights), there are several algorithms that can massively improve the quality of strobed variable refresh rate operation:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 675#p22670

Extra reading only for those handy with microcontrollers and know how to modify computer monitor circuitry.

</monitor hackers>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

HenrikE1234

Post by HenrikE1234 » 05 Nov 2016, 18:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:<monitor hackers>

Hackers/Engineers, there's ways of massively improving the image quality of strobed variable refresh rate operation (eliminating the most problematic flicker artifacts/brightness modulation artifacts).

For monitor hackers and engineers (the kinds who's been able to design high-refresh-rate monitors or develop strobe backlights), there are several algorithms that can massively improve the quality of strobed variable refresh rate operation:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 675#p22670

Extra reading only for those handy with microcontrollers and know how to modify computer monitor circuitry.

</monitor hackers>
Oof. :) Great job :)

I returned this Dell for no reason, really. I was very happy with the rich detail in the dark ranges and the overall accurate color representation after calibration, I would say it can definitely be used as a photo/video and gaming monitor. It does have regular TN panel black, if that's a problem - I didn't find it a problem though. Looked ace all the way.

Well the reason was that I had an amazing monitor already (SA950) and discovered that for myself, 120FPS @ 120Hz did more for blur reduction in 3D games than ULMB. Certainly I have no use for G-Sync since I would rather dial down to 60 Hz+cap instead. Also the 1440p prevented even that, in some games and I couldn't spend $700 on a monitor AND $700 on a new graphics card to compensate for the resolution increase.

So I definitely recommend it to anyone who has the oomph to drive 1440p at > 60 FPS!

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 11 Dec 2016, 19:46

Hi guys,

I got this also working on a Acer predator z35
Basically I have it so it goes to ULMB mode when gsync is disabled and at 120hz
So when I add a fake resolution and let the display do resize and not gpu and add only 120hz option in nvidia driver while gsync was enabled
It will add new resolution with gsync enabled at 120hz but monitor says its ULMB mode

Unfortunatley it does flicker alot, but its definitley working if you dont take the flicker into account
I have the fps display on the monitor and I can see it is changing the fps (hz) while gaming

Anyway maybe someone could try this on some other monitor and see if it does a better job than mine

It does not work when I try to add a fake resolution with anything lower than the monitors native res, but if I add even 1 extra pixel on one side it will work

Hope I was able to explain what I did, but its in nvidia panel and I add a custom resolution that has 1pixel more just and att it as 120hz

My monitors panel is 2560x1080
I added 2561x1080

Best,
Kandor

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Dec 2016, 20:16

kandor1978 wrote:Hi guys,

I got this also working on a Acer predator z35
Basically I have it so it goes to ULMB mode when gsync is disabled and at 120hz
So when I add a fake resolution and let the display do resize and not gpu and add only 120hz option in nvidia driver while gsync was enabled
It will add new resolution with gsync enabled at 120hz but monitor says its ULMB mode

Unfortunatley it does flicker alot, but its definitley working if you dont take the flicker into account
I have the fps display on the monitor and I can see it is changing the fps (hz) while gaming

Anyway maybe someone could try this on some other monitor and see if it does a better job than mine

It does not work when I try to add a fake resolution with anything lower than the monitors native res, but if I add even 1 extra pixel on one side it will work

Hope I was able to explain what I did, but its in nvidia panel and I add a custom resolution that has 1pixel more just and att it as 120hz

My monitors panel is 2560x1080
I added 2561x1080

Best,
Kandor
Wait.

HOW DID YOU DO THIS WITHOUT 3D GLASSES?

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 11 Dec 2016, 21:27

Just as I wrote

I made a custom resolution when gsync was enabled
And before doing that make sure 120hz is set to run as ulmb when gsync is disabled
So now when you add this custom resolution that is higher res than native and select 120hz it gets ulmb and gsync enabled
I was in native res with 144hz when I added this res
I tried several times and success each time
But if I use a res lower than the native res it does not work for some reason

Best,
Kandor

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Dec 2016, 21:34

Thank you. I posted this in the Dell 24/27 1440p TN panel forums on OCN if that's ok. Waiting for results...

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 11 Dec 2016, 21:42

Yea thats fine :)

I will do more testing tomorrow, but its unusuable on my screen

Even at 120-110 fps it still flickers quiet much

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 11 Dec 2016, 21:45

Also I get quiet much black screen

If my desktop is in native res, I can alt tab back and forth couple of times to get it work again
But if I am in this custom res in desktop as well it does not work
Also seems the screen scaling needs to be done by monitor and have keep aspect ratio on
the keep aspect ratio part I am not sure about to be honest, but thats how I have it rightnow, Will test more tomorrow

Best,
Kandor