G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
masterotaku

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by masterotaku » 29 Sep 2016, 07:43

In 5 hours I'll tell you my product ID (where do I find that? Just in case).

As you have seen in the video, it's pretty simple to do.

I hope someone with my same monitor tries it too, to at least confirm if it always works with the Dell S2716DG.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Sep 2016, 07:56

http://imgur.com/D0ReNDy

i'll still get the 3D vision just to make sure.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 29 Sep 2016, 12:09

DELA0D1

I have censored the serial number :P .

Remember that my monitor has 2560x1440 as the native resolution.

By the way, I have confirmed that I can disable ULMB ingame, so the game uses normal G-Sync, and I can enable it again whenever I want. Perfect.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Sep 2016, 13:08

It just turned my monitor into a "Dell Benq XL2420G" lol, it didn't help.

I'll have to buy a 3D vision kit to be sure.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 29 Sep 2016, 13:58

I have made two posts on Reddit (I don't know if posting it on pcgaming and pcmasterrace too would be too much or not):

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... and_howto/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... and_howto/

Keep checking them in case someone says something interesting.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Sep 2016, 14:23

Lex,
if you already got the "green light" to work, then (I'm GUESSING) that you don't need a 3d vision 2 kit. What you need is for Lightboost to be always enabled on the desktop.

Your benq monitor should respond to the old 1080p vertical totals for Lightboost, and if you got the green light, you're already halfway there. these modes UNLOCK lightboost initially:

100hz: 1920x1080 VT 1138
110hz: 1920x1080 VT 1143
120hz: 1920x1080 VT 1149
60hz: VT 1155 (double strobed 120hz) or VT 1179

Now what you need is for the monitor to always have lightboost enabled once activated.
You can test this by just setting the refresh rate to 60hz or 85hz.
If the green light is still on, then you did it already.

I was able to get Lightboost always enabled on a Benq XL2720Z connected to an Nvidia *laptop* through a VGA port (Not even DVI). Just by changing the product ID to the Asus one. Then I simply created the initial "Lightboost" resolution that initializes lightboost. However if the Nvidia driver said "this resolution is not supported by the display", then that doesn't work and that was a problem since I was using VGA. I couldn't create a 1920x1080@100hz or 120hz resolution whatsoever. However I was able to create 1920x1080@60hz with VT 1155. The monitor then said "Out of Range" with a black screen. (this would not happen over DVI). Then when I pressed "cancel" to end the resolution test (with a black screen in front of me), the monitor reappeared with Lightboost suddenly activated, because internally, 1920x1080@1155 was sent to the monitor, the scalar rejected it, but Lightboost recognized the signal and unlocked itself.

Once you can confirm that you have Lightboost always enabled, then what you need to do next is create a CUSTOM resolution without changing the timings. It must be lower than the default resolution. You can't use masterotaku's settings because he's using a 1440p panel. Also, it is currently unknown if the 1440p panels activate Lightboost in a different method than the 1080p panels do. if they do, then this may be a bug with the 1440p panel's different method of activating Lightboost, that causes ULMB to work with Gsync.

But anyway, you should be able to try a custom resolution like :

1920x1078
1900x1060
Or something similar.

What you're looking for is for ULMB to get enabled when the custom resolution is activated and Gsync to work, which I can't help with anymore. I don't know if buying a 3d vision 2 kit would help as this bug isn't related to having or not having the physical glasses. I would hate for you to spend $120 to have the same problem. It's entirely possible this bug only works on 1440p monitors.

If I'm wrong someone please tell me.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Sep 2016, 16:26

lexlazootin wrote:I was testing with the spoofed product ID 'ACI27F8' because it let me select 3D vision in the driver and turn on lightboost without hacking it with timings. Then i realized that the monitor i was spoofing didn't even support G-Sync... I could get lightboost working and select G-Sync at the same time but G-Sync wouldn't ever actually turn on.

Can you tell me the Product ID of the dell? i don't know why, but it might be worth testing.

Edit: Every time i get lightboost and G-Sync on at the same time default id, my screen goes black... i got a feeling it just doesn't work on my monitor :*(
Lex,
Once Lightboost is unlocked, it will remain unlocked until you unplug the monitor from the wall AC outlet.
So you may be able to simply restart the video driver and put the ID back for the XL2420G. But you still need Lightboost enabled on the desktop. I think I see the issue...if you restart the driver, while Lightboost is still unlocked (you can forcibly enable it via a VT 1149 custom resolution at 120hz), you want it forcibly enabled at all refresh rates.

Why don't you try this.

Unlock lightboost like before.
Go back to the Benq product ID, restart the video driver,
then install this custom resolution.

1920x1080
Front porch 48/3
Sync width 32/5
Horizontal Total/Vertical Total: 2080/1149
refresh rate: 120hz

Switching to 120hz should force Lightboost on the desktop.

Now create a custom resolution while at 120hz, and don't change the timings.
like 1900x1060, with the same timings.
Then enable gsync and switch to that custom resolution (or do whatever masterotaku's instructions tell you to do).

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Sep 2016, 22:18

Falkentyne wrote:Lex, if you already got the "green light" to work, then (I'm GUESSING) that you don't need a 3d vision 2 kit.
What you need is for Lightboost to be always enabled on the desktop.
I've always been able to enable lightboost on the desktop, all i have to do is create lightboost timings and the little green light will turn on and i can adjust the lightboost setting in my OSD.

You make it sounds like this is really hard on the Mstar scaler, or i'm i missing something?
Falkentyne wrote:you want it forcibly enabled at all refresh rates.
I'm not too sure what you mean, are you saying when i enable Lightboost, it should stay on no matter what res/hz i select, or are you saying when i create new custom resolutions it should stay on when i switch?
Falkentyne wrote:I would hate for you to spend $120 to have the same problem.
I'm not that bummed, i get to try 3D :)

I'll deferentially try and give your suggestion a go.

EDIT: Btw mastertaco, Advanced 3D Vision Configuration v1.4 didn't really help me. In my experience the stereoscopic 3D screen can be completed and selected if you just do the "Discover Glasses" option and selecting "Completed the setup" didn't really change anything for me.

EDIT: The 'switch to acer id, enable lightboost and switch back' strat didn't work. When i switched back lightboost just turned off.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Sep 2016, 23:01

lexlazootin wrote: I'm not too sure what you mean, are you saying when i enable Lightboost, it should stay on no matter what res/hz i select, or are you saying when i create new custom resolutions it should stay on when i switch?
YES, EXACTLY.
THIS. Yes to both, though.

When you enable lightboost, it should REMAIN ENABLED at any refresh rate, even 1024x768@60hz or something awful like that.
I was able to do exactly this *without a 3d glasses thing* through a VGA Dsub connection, on my XL2720Z, connected to my laptop's VGA port.

But when you do the custom resolution, with Gsync, it should switch to ULMB mode and keep on gsync (if I'm understanding masterotaku correctly).

Lightboost wouldn't enable until I "force tested" a resolution I know will "unlock" lightboost in the XL2720Z. None of the 100hz or 120hz 1920x1080 timings will work on VGA; the monitor will obviously say "out of range" but it's the Nvidia driver that won't even let you test it since you're on a VGA connection. But 1920x1080, 60hz, with VT 1155 did work. The monitor black screened with "out of range", but the Nvidia driver accepted it. When I pressed escape to cancel the test, the green light came on. And it remained on at 1280x720, 1024x768@75hz (double strobing), 1024x768@60hz (double strobing) etc.

But that should already be happening with you already. Just enable "keep lightboost always enabled on the desktop" or whatever checkbox that was.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 29 Sep 2016, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Sep 2016, 23:15

The problem is that i don't have the "keep lightboost always enabled on the desktop" that mastertaco selects in the videos. I can force lightboost with the +5VT timings but if i select anything else it doesn't stay on.

Here's what my screen looks like with the Benq ID: http://i.imgur.com/HUulnHb.png
Here's with the change: http://i.imgur.com/4NilqWB.png

I don't have the always option that he does. http://imgur.com/1d06XmY

I'll have a little play around tho.

Edit: hold up, i might be onto something.