To LG 24GM77 Owners: DAS + Motion 240

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Erecshyrinol

Re: To LG 24GM77 Owners: DAS + Motion 240

Post by Erecshyrinol » 11 Aug 2016, 15:13

StrobeMaster wrote:Yes, this is confusing but not necessarily a bug. "Autobrightness on/off" just tells you what will happen when you go there. And changing the brightness setting should actually deactivate Autobrightness automatically.
Well, it doesn't. When I'm not in-game, I like my brightness as low as possible, so I pull it down to 0%. This monitor kept pushing it back up slightly until I turned on auto-brightness.
StrobeMaster wrote:That is interesting. But I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up about LG updating the firmware. Eh, maybe they already did. Could you check the firmware version of your monitor? Anybody out there who sees a FW version > 3.04 in the service menu? (Have the monitor connected to a valid signal source. The service menu can be entered by keeping the ">" button (right-most of the 5 control buttons) pushed while powering on the monitor. The normal OSD menu is replaced by the service menu then and is not available until power-cycling the monitor).
Honestly, I barely managed to stuff it back into the box, I really can't unbox it again.

But no, I don't expect any new firmware either. If it does come out, it will likely just be a few bug fixes and nothing major like being able to use DAS and 240 at the same time or to control strobe settings. If they could have pulled it off, they would have done it the first time around.
StrobeMaster wrote:Isn't the 2430T using the same panel, which would mean the same coating?
I don't know, does it? I mean, I know it's the same panel, but I wouldn't know if LG changed the coating. All I know is multiple reports about how this monitor has a lighter-than-normal coating. Here's an example:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571735/lg-2 ... banding/10

"The LG was a badass monitor in terms of image quality compared to other 144hz tn monitors and it had a very nice AG coating, which was not too aggressive. At the time I had the LG, I also had an old xl2411t and xl2420t and the LGs coating was noticably better than that of those 2 mentioned BenQs."

He's comparing them to older T BenQs. I don't know if the coating changed with the new models. They are the same panel though.

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 12 Aug 2016, 03:14

Erecshyrinol wrote:
StrobeMaster wrote:Yes, this is confusing but not necessarily a bug. "Autobrightness on/off" just tells you what will happen when you go there. And changing the brightness setting should actually deactivate Autobrightness automatically.
Well, it doesn't. When I'm not in-game, I like my brightness as low as possible, so I pull it down to 0%. This monitor kept pushing it back up slightly until I turned on auto-brightness.
Just for the record, I cannot reproduce this. Whenever I change Brightness, Autobrightness is turned off automatically (the Autobrightness option changes to "Autobrightness on") - and the actual brightness is stable. When I then choose "Autobrightness on", the bar with the brightness setting is dimmed (only in the Brightness setting pane, not in the "Easy Control" pane one menu level higher) and the Autobrightness option changes to "Autobrightness off" - and, indeed, the actual brightness varies with a delay of a few seconds with the ambient illumination, but seemingly only up to the Brightness level that was set before choosing "Autobrightness on". I wouldn't be too surprised, if one or the other behavior can be triggered by a specific order of how settings have been changed before.
Erecshyrinol wrote:
StrobeMaster wrote:Isn't the 2430T using the same panel, which would mean the same coating?
I don't know, does it? I mean, I know it's the same panel, but I wouldn't know if LG changed the coating. All I know is multiple reports about how this monitor has a lighter-than-normal coating. Here's an example:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571735/lg-2 ... banding/10

"The LG was a badass monitor in terms of image quality compared to other 144hz tn monitors and it had a very nice AG coating, which was not too aggressive. At the time I had the LG, I also had an old xl2411t and xl2420t and the LGs coating was noticably better than that of those 2 mentioned BenQs."

He's comparing them to older T BenQs. I don't know if the coating changed with the new models. They are the same panel though.
Too me, they look all the same (wrt coating), apart from the "use marks" my older BenQs show.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 12 Aug 2016, 06:34

StrobeMaster wrote:Just for the record, I cannot reproduce this. Whenever I change Brightness, Autobrightness is turned off automatically (the Autobrightness option changes to "Autobrightness on") - and the actual brightness is stable. When I then choose "Autobrightness on", the bar with the brightness setting is dimmed (only in the Brightness setting pane, not in the "Easy Control" pane one menu level higher) and the Autobrightness option changes to "Autobrightness off" - and, indeed, the actual brightness varies with a delay of a few seconds with the ambient illumination, but seemingly only up to the Brightness level that was set before choosing "Autobrightness on". I wouldn't be too surprised, if one or the other behavior can be triggered by a specific order of how settings have been changed before.
They need a firmware update just to sort out these inconsistencies. It's confusing enough that seeing "autobrightness on" actually means it will be on if you press it.
StrobeMaster wrote:Too me, they look all the same (wrt coating), apart from the "use marks" my older BenQs show.
I should have guessed as much. People will get a new monitor and marvel at it's coating without taking into account whether their old monitor is dirty or not.

Also, some will ruin the surface of their monitors by cleaning with dodgy liquids and then forget what it looked like new.

knypol

Post by knypol » 18 Aug 2016, 03:52

So in short is this LG the best choice for strobing?

Anyone able to tell me if it is comparable to 10%, 50% or 100% of lightboost screens from this page: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/

Is the input lag of motion240 very noticable - CS player would feel uncomfy?

How bad are colors, contrast etc with motion240?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Aug 2016, 07:03

No, XL2720Z/XL2420Z is the best choice for strobing, depending on how "low" you want the V003+ firmware low AMA mode to go down to. XL2720Z reduces the overdrive more than the 24" panels do, when you do the "toggle." XL2720z is the best choice if you want a near perfect overdrive setting when blur reduction is disabled (as shown in the General thread section on the sticky; this requires exploiting a preset bug, though). Also the Benq monitors (NOT the XL2730Z however) can single strobe from 60hz (50hz only with a custom res/VT) to 144hz in mostly 1 hz increments, which no other monitors can do, with lower strobe crosstalk than other monitors (if you use VT tweaks).

If you are satisfied with only 100hz+ strobing and don't want to use custom resolutions, the LG is fine.

I do NOT think anyone has tested changing the vertical total on the 24GM77 to see if this reduces strobe crosstalk or not. Anyone want to try? I know the realtek 1440p XL2730Z goes up to VT 1849, but strobe crosstalk is not reduced at all.

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 18 Aug 2016, 07:50

Falkentyne wrote:I do NOT think anyone has tested changing the vertical total on the 24GM77 to see if this reduces strobe crosstalk or not. Anyone want to try? I know the realtek 1440p XL2730Z goes up to VT 1849, but strobe crosstalk is not reduced at all.
Although the LG24GM77 accepts VT-tweaked timings, it does not make a difference. This monitor implements accelerated panel update already, which explains at least in part why DAS is switched off when Motion240 is active. Accelerated panel update being implemented in the monitor requires the incoming video signal to be buffered, although not necessarily for a complete frame like it is done in the LG24GM77 but at least for the time difference by which the accelerated update is faster than the normal update.
So having the VT-tweak implemented is a plus, obviously. I also think that the crosstalk is nicely balanced between the top and the bottom of the screen and overdrive is very well adjusted. A negative is obviously the unnecessarily added latency in strobe mode and that the strobe pulse is fixed and pretty long (2.8ms at 120Hz) as compared to, e.g., the BenQ XL2411Z in Lightboost mode (1.88ms at 120Hz and 100% LightBoost). And yes, if you want to use strobed backlight at 60Hz, the LG is not an option.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 18 Aug 2016, 09:12

knypol wrote:Anyone able to tell me if it is comparable to 10%, 50% or 100% of lightboost screens from this page: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/
Not quite. Overshoot seems barely visible in those screenshots. I was able to spot it easily with the LG. It wasn't terrible or overly distracting though, you kinda learn to ignore it. I didn't try it out in Counter Strike though - I have a feeling it would be quite annoying there.
Is the input lag of motion240 very noticable - CS player would feel uncomfy?
The drop to 120 from 144hz is already noticeable and then you add input lag from the lack of DAS on top of that. But it was all a lot better than the 60hz VA I was used to though, so I can't really be objective.

Do you really need strobing in CS though? I found it a night and day difference in Overwatch, but only because it's a very chaotic game where your eyes and crosshair are all over the place. I think 144hz and overdrive on "middle" or "high" would be preferable for CS.
How bad are colors, contrast etc with motion240?
Obviously a lot worse than normal. Range becomes compressed and all the highs are rolled off, as if you squashed the palette and used dull matte paint. It's kind of oddly likable though, provided you adapt the color settings a little bit.

knypol

Post by knypol » 18 Aug 2016, 16:28

OK, thx for answers. I also made some more research about strobing and now im not even sure if i want that. So many cons with strobing.

But i would like to ask U (those who has 144Hz monitor) to write what tempo U r able to pass in PixePerAn "readbility test" not in strobing mode but only with overdrive settings. On my LG IPS i reached tempo=7.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Aug 2016, 18:59

Haven't attempted that Klingon pain sticks torture in awhile (and I don't believe it syncs properly on windows 8/10 anyway), but I recall not being able to get past "10" on my VG248qe or XL2720Z, if Lightboost/MBR were disabled.

Just for comparison, with Tempo=30 *At 100hz refresh rate, which is a slower framerate than 144hz, I was able to pass readability test with MUCH difficulty (many failed attempts) with Blur Reduction enabled.