ULMB/GSYNC Incompatible on Overwatch, What to do...

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Trueglory

ULMB/GSYNC Incompatible on Overwatch, What to do...

Post by Trueglory » 09 Sep 2016, 03:08

So first things first, the link below is the problem with overwatch. Long story short, the lower your FPS the larger your video input lag, and the difference you can actually feel. Even between 120 FPS and 300! It's a huge problem for those of us with G-sync and ULMB monitors, because it makes the money we spent on our monitors pretty much worthless. :?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comm ... read_this/

I'm checking in to see if ULMB will work on FPS way higher than 120 or if I should just shut it off and not use it. And trust me, the amount of input lag from capping FPS at 120 far exceeds the benefit of the motion blur reduction, especially with the addition of the dimmer screen (In my opinion).

Does anyone else feel frustrated by this playing overwatch? I want to have the most competitive settings and utilize my awesome monitor! The input lag at lower fps really kills me. A game should not feel unplayable at 120 FPS!

Falkentyne

Re: ULMB/GSYNC Incompatible on Overwatch, What to do...

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Sep 2016, 03:48

Is this an Nvidia specific problem or something?

Because I play Overwatch at *100hz* with vsync on on my AMD 290x, with Benq blur reduction (monitor side strobing, independent of video card) and I have no input lag at all.

Trueglory

Post by Trueglory » 09 Sep 2016, 03:57

Falkentyne wrote:Is this an Nvidia specific problem or something?

Because I play Overwatch at *100hz* with vsync on on my AMD 290x, with Benq blur reduction (monitor side strobing, independent of video card) and I have no input lag at all.
I couldn't tell you if it's a Nvidia exclusive problem because I haven't done AMD testing myself, but it's definitely to do with Overwatch's programming.

Have you ever tried to turn all that off and see how the crosshairs feel at the highest fps you can achieve in Overwatch? If you haven't I would definitely try it out and see if you feel a difference. Btw, the way to measure this in-game is Ctrl + Shift + N. The SIMs value at the top is what we are looking at. It should be lower than 7, and the lower the better.

Vsync alone would introduce input lag regardless.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Sep 2016, 05:42

Have you tried capping your framerate at 140~ fps in overwatch and enabling GSync? that's pretty much what i do with cs:go and it's only a 1ms~ difference between that and 300fps from my testing. Make sure you have V-Sync turned off in control panel in global and overwatch just to make sure it's not adding lag.

Trueglory

Post by Trueglory » 09 Sep 2016, 05:51

I have done G-Sync which doesn't have that big of an impact on the input lag from Overwatch because its 144 fps instead of 120.

However, I don't see a benefit in using it because I don't get shuttering or tearing otherwise. G-sync (from what I've read) is worth it when playing with lower FPS. ex: Single Player game with Video Settings on Max or a High GFX MMO.

I would much perfect ULMB because it gives a competitive advantage. But does it still work at FPS over 120? Over 200? Even though this website says you should lock your frames to the refresh rate while using it?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Sep 2016, 06:40

> I have done G-Sync which doesn't have that big of an impact on the input lag from Overwatch because its 144 fps instead of 120.

I'm not to sure what you're saying. just cap your fps at 130-140~.

> However, I don't see a benefit in using it because I don't get shuttering or tearing otherwise.

You get tearing not matter what, the more frame rate you get, the less it's noticeable. It kinda depends on the HZ but even at 500fps the tears i still find annoying.

But there is no need to stress out your CPU or GPU getting 500fps if you just use G-Sync, as you get low latency with no tearing at a much lower framerate. People can use low end hardware and still get a 500fps+ experience. There is pretty much no downside.

> is worth it when playing with lower FPS. ex: Single Player game with Video Settings on Max or a High GFX MMO.

Why would it matter what you're playing, getting a tearfree low latency experience is always the best.

> But does it still work at FPS over 120? Over 200? (ULMB)

Yes, use a fps lock that is a multiple of your refreshrate, 120/240/360 the more you go up the less latency and tearing you will notice.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 09 Sep 2016, 08:47

This is a known issue in Overwatch, people have been complaining for a long time.There's nothing wrong with your system. It's not an Nvidia exclusive problem. I use a 290x and it behaves the same.

I feel a massive difference in responsiveness just reducing my rendering resolution to 75% because that makes FPS jump through the roof. It's quite disgusting really. I fear this may be something inherent to the engine that they won't ever fix.

Trueglory

Post by Trueglory » 09 Sep 2016, 13:04

Thank you for the replies. I will use ULMB at 120Hz and a Cap of 240 Fps. This will give me the low input lag from Overwatch's problem and the preferred ULMB. For an FPS competitive game scene, I think that ULMB has a greater benefit than G-Sync. Maybe (as a previous poster mentioned) I don't see the tearing, although this has contributed to the decision to use ULMB over G-Sync for this game.

Thanks again everyone!

Trueglory

Post by Trueglory » 09 Sep 2016, 13:11

lexlazootin wrote:> I have done G-Sync which doesn't have that big of an impact on the input lag from Overwatch because its 144 fps instead of 120.

I'm not to sure what you're saying. just cap your fps at 130-140~.

> However, I don't see a benefit in using it because I don't get shuttering or tearing otherwise.

You get tearing not matter what, the more frame rate you get, the less it's noticeable. It kinda depends on the HZ but even at 500fps the tears i still find annoying.

But there is no need to stress out your CPU or GPU getting 500fps if you just use G-Sync, as you get low latency with no tearing at a much lower framerate. People can use low end hardware and still get a 500fps+ experience. There is pretty much no downside.

> is worth it when playing with lower FPS. ex: Single Player game with Video Settings on Max or a High GFX MMO.

Why would it matter what you're playing, getting a tearfree low latency experience is always the best.

> But does it still work at FPS over 120? Over 200? (ULMB)

Yes, use a fps lock that is a multiple of your refreshrate, 120/240/360 the more you go up the less latency and tearing you will notice.
Thank you for letting me know that I can run ULMB as intended at FPS lock in multiples of my Refresh.

As for the other things that you mentioned about G-Sync. I don't believe you understand the Overwatch specific problems that I mentioned. Overwatch has something ingrained in the engine that causes an imperfect world for G-sync and ULMB users.

I will post the content in the link provided in the original post for convenience:
For those of you who don't know, what John Lafleur is describing is a common feature in games, usually termed "one frame thread lag" although sometimes described as "one frame interval" among other names. The setting generally increases frame rate at the expense of introducing some amount of input lag given by 1 / fps. The higher the overall framerate, the less input lag introduced. This is what's causing people to report unresponsive mouse control or "acceleration" when their fps dips to lower values, despite the game using raw input.
The problem is that it seems to be forced with no option to disable it, unlike most other PC shooters. Similar to FOV, it's not a one size fits all setting. Some rigs receive enough of a benefit that it should be used, but others receive such a marginal benefit that it should be kept off since it introduces unnecessary delay. The user should make the decision whether or not to allow a frame to be buffered.

MaxiJazz

Post by MaxiJazz » 04 May 2017, 08:56

Anyone noticed, that G-sync not working in Overwatch now?
Tried to play with limiters ingame and RTSS and for some reason i get many tearing even with 140\135\130\120 frame lock.
Pls someone test G-sync now with this game, maybe it's driver problem or smth else on my PC (Other games works with G-sync without problem - Fallout4, Doom OpenGL, Dark Soul 3, Witcher 3...)

Windows 10 1603 with latest updates
GTX 1070 (Driver v. 381.89)

G-sync start working (OR NOT) only if i'am enabled V-sync ingame or in the NVCP. (I thinking it's working in V-Sync mode, not G-sync)
Last edited by MaxiJazz on 04 May 2017, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.