Issue with lightboost on Acer GN246HL

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Stabber7777

Issue with lightboost on Acer GN246HL

Post by Stabber7777 » 11 Oct 2016, 00:18

Ok, i've had this monitor for a while and have had it lightboosted for a good amount of time (about a year). Yesterday I got on my computer and my lightboost had red/blue dots in bands, that get much worse when anything moves on the screen. I've tried redoing my lightboost with no avail. It works well outside of the lightboost, but the ghosting is atrocious and isn't really usable without lightboost imo. I've ordered a new cable to see if its the cable going bad, but i'm not 100% sure so I figured i'd ask here to see if its a common problem or sign that my monitor may be dying.

lexlazootin

Re: Issue with lightboost on Acer GN462HL

Post by lexlazootin » 11 Oct 2016, 03:57

red/blue dots in bands sounds like cable length.

I've have it happen before when my pixel clock was too high and cable too long.

Stabber7777

Post by Stabber7777 » 11 Oct 2016, 19:37

It's only started happening recently, so i'm going to assume its a bad cable, i'll post in here seeing if its solved once I get my new cable tomorrow

Stabber7777

Post by Stabber7777 » 12 Oct 2016, 16:11

replacing the cable didn't seem to work, gonna assume my monitor is dying.

vidgeek420

Post by vidgeek420 » 14 Jan 2017, 08:02

I have the ame issue, any solution yet?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Issue with lightboost on Acer GN246HL

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2017, 15:02

(Acer GN246HL)

It's possible the monitor is failing. Try testing 100Hz LightBoost and see if the problem is on that too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Serpheat

Post by Serpheat » 15 Mar 2017, 17:26

I have same issue with GN276HL, except it worked well for only 2 months !

I usually was 120Hz Lightboost, I tried to reset all with CRU. Then retry activating Lightboost in 100 Hz and 120 Hz and always the same problem.

If Lightboost is removed, it works normally (with "normal" ghosting).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Mar 2017, 22:59

No, Lightboost is not supposed to damage the screen, however Lightboost runs the panel outside of basic specifications, so its possible something may have happened. I never had a problem with Lightboost on any of my VG248QE's or my Benq XL2720Z (even though I would never use Lightboost on a XL2720Z, I have unlocked and used it before by using my laptop to unlock Lightboost).

Unplug the monitor from the wall and unplug the power cord for 1 minute and then plug it back in. See if it is working.
If it is not, RMA the monitor.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Mar 2017, 23:18

Falkentyne wrote:however Lightboost runs the panel outside of basic specifications
The backlight, not the panel :mrgreen:
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2017, 10:58

RealNC wrote:
Falkentyne wrote:however Lightboost runs the panel outside of basic specifications
The backlight, not the panel :mrgreen:
Depends on what you mean by "outside of basic specifications" ;)

Some LightBoost panels get the scan-lines problem, and sometimes nonuniformly -- i.e. just at a corner of a screen. This is because of the accelerated scan-out (the refresh cycle is scanned-out faster than 1/120sec to create enough pause between refresh cycles) and it amplifies TN artifacts that shows up. The artifact/effect is very similar to overclocking other LCD panel. Even though the manufacturer keeps it within spec, the panels apparently don't always co-operate like it is.
Stabber7777 wrote:It's only started happening recently, so i'm going to assume its a bad cable, i'll post in here seeing if its solved once I get my new cable tomorrow
vidgeek420 wrote:I have the ame issue, any solution yet?
Serpheat wrote:I have same issue with GN276HL, except it worked well for only 2 months !

I usually was 120Hz Lightboost, I tried to reset all with CRU. Then retry activating Lightboost in 100 Hz and 120 Hz and always the same problem.

If Lightboost is removed, it works normally (with "normal" ghosting).
It's rare, but -- Occasionally, the LightBoost electronics *do* fail.

It's not supposed to fail as it's an intended feature of the monitor -- and definitely covered by warranty.

If LIghtBoost stops working it also means 3D Vision stopped working (since LightBoost is a required component of that). So if the computer store has 3D Vision glasses to test with, they can verify that it's definitely failed.

NOTE: It's also useful to know that if you did a graphics card upgrade, or computer upgrade, or graphics driver upgrade -- did it suddenly happen with any of that? You may need to test using a different cable (try DVI vs DisplayPort) since LightBoost initialization requires full DDC/CI communications to the monitor. You can also, alternatively try a different LightBoost HOWTO and see if it works. However if LightBoost simply randomly suddenly failed in the middle of a game and has not worked since, that is more likely to be a warranty claim.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!