Issue with lightboost on Acer GN246HL

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Serpheat

Re: Issue with lightboost on Acer GN246HL

Post by Serpheat » 18 Mar 2017, 06:05

Thank you.

I reset configuration with CRU.
I followed Falkentyne suggestion to try to unplug power (I did all that night). I also check all cords were correctly plugged and I didn't see any problem.
I did again the Lightboost activation number #3 (the one I used initially).
=> it works again. :-)

For me, it worked one day then didn't work next day. I don't remember any GPU upgrade. But maybe automatic Windows 10 upgrade, not sure.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Mar 2017, 14:09

The monitor will "forget" its LightBoost activation if you unplug the monitor from power.

LightBoost uses an encrypted lock (NVIDIA DRM) that gets forgotten when you unplug the monitor.

Do not unplug the monitor, do not switch powerbar off, do not switch outlet off. Keep electricity available 24/7 100% of the time to keep the monitor memorizing its LightBoost activation even when it is in standby/off. If you want to keep your switched power bar to save electricity, move the monitor to a separate outlet to guarantee electricity 24/7 to keep LightBoost continuously unlocked. The good news is that most newer monitors will consume less than 1 watt in standby, so it won't hurt your bills.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Mar 2017, 16:16

Chief,
The Acer has Lightboost permanently unlocked. It does not require the Nvidia specific DDC command.
All that is needed are the VT signals. There was a thread a few years ago on blurbusters where people were posting that Lightboost was working without anything needing to be done except the VT 1149 signal (120hz).

Windows 10 has also caused issues with Strobelight activation with some current drivers. This was discussed on ToastyX's CRU Forums recently.

Faithsullivan

Post by Faithsullivan » 18 Nov 2017, 04:41

Chief, are you saying i cannot turn off my screen at all?

Or rather, leave the mains power on all the time?