Separate ULMB and GSYNC setting for games and Windows10

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ancalimon

Separate ULMB and GSYNC setting for games and Windows10

Post by ancalimon » 15 Oct 2016, 00:59

Is it possible in Windows10 to have ulmb on Windows10 desktop and have gsync on fullscreen games?

I don't want to use them at the same time. I just want my desktop to have ulmb and games to have gsync.

Also does anyone know how to have an icon on my desktop which switches the screen between ulmb and gsync.

lexlazootin

Re: Separate ULMB and GSYNC setting for games and Windows10

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Oct 2016, 01:08

You should be able to set your desktop to 120hz and have ULMB on. When you launch your games tell them to run at 144hz and have G-Sync selected in the Nvidia control panel in the manage 3D settings and it should auto switch between them.

ancalimon

Post by ancalimon » 15 Oct 2016, 01:11

lexlazootin wrote:You should be able to set your desktop to 120hz and have ULMB on. When you launch your games tell them to run at 144hz and have G-Sync selected in the Nvidia control panel in the manage 3D settings and it should auto switch between them.
Ok I will try it.
So instead of having one profile for Windows Desktop (which does not exist), I have to set up profiles for every game to use gsync.

I wonder why a Windows profile does not exist in NVidia Control panel.

ancalimon

Post by ancalimon » 15 Oct 2016, 01:15

I can not do it. Once you select gsync, ulmb is globally turned off and vice versa.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Oct 2016, 02:29

I know it's kinda dodgy but you couldn't you just select it per game?

http://i.imgur.com/Vonq4qk.png

ancalimon

Post by ancalimon » 16 Mar 2017, 16:40

lexlazootin wrote:I know it's kinda dodgy but you couldn't you just select it per game?

http://i.imgur.com/Vonq4qk.png
When I turn Gsync on and set DWM to use ulmb Windows work at 100hz and 120hz ulmb but games open at 144hz fixed refresh rate although global gsync is on.

When I set global setting to ULMB and try to enable GSYNC for any other profile, it automatically enables GSYNC for Windows Desktop as well as soon as I apply the setting for that profile. I tried disabling and enabling ULMB from 3d settings and ulmb is back on and the game profile is set to gsync. But once again, when I start the game, it switches to 144hz fixed refresh rate mode once the game screen opens. (and it returns back to 120hz ulmb once the game is closed)

Conclusion: monitor can not switch between gsync and ulmb by itself.