Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Low refresh rate Single Strobing (60hz+) interest

Motion blur eliminating strobe backlights found in gaming monitors. This includes NVIDIA LightBoost, Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB), EIZO Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight utility, etc.

Re: Low refresh rate Single Strobing (60hz+) interest

Postby Dirkee » 23 May 2017, 16:23

Hey, I just found out about a new lg monitor with 1ms Blur Reduction, ips, and it's 75hz. It seems like a big upgrade over current monitors that can do 60hz strobing. I'm thinking of buying it. Does anyone else have it and can give impressions on it?

Here's the link: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59 ... ng-monitor
Dirkee

Postby RealNC » 23 May 2017, 16:42

Looks like a very good price point for IPS + strobing. Although you'd need to see if 75Hz strobing is flickering too much for you. But other than that, IPS + strobing for that price? Almost sounds too good to be true, actually.

For games and movies, I'd go for the 27" version though. I also have a 1080p 27" myself, and the low pixel density is OK for games/movies. It's just the desktop (font rendering) that suffers a bit.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2017, 16:50

Dirkee wrote:Hey, I just found out about a new lg monitor with 1ms Blur Reduction, ips, and it's 75hz. It seems like a big upgrade over current monitors that can do 60hz strobing. I'm thinking of buying it. Does anyone else have it and can give impressions on it?

Here's the link: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59 ... ng-monitor

I haven't tried this, but, generally, LG Blur Reduction double-strobes at 60Hz.

If you try this out, please let me know what http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk looks like. You will probably get double-images.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby Dirkee » 02 Jun 2017, 22:32

I bought the monitor and unfortunately the 1ms Blur Reduction only works on 75hz...
Dirkee

Postby 3dfan » 06 Aug 2017, 06:33

i dont think it should be technically or economically difficult for the manufaturers to allow 60hz single strobe, they may just hide it if they dont want everyone to use it, but please dont disallow it at all..
hoping manufacturers serioulsy consider this.
3dfan

Postby RealNC » 06 Aug 2017, 09:15

60Hz flicker with backlight strobing on an LCD is much more uncomfortable than CRT 60Hz flicker though. I can tolerate 60Hz on CRT. It's not great, but I can stand it. 60Hz on LCD with strobing though is completely intolerable for me.

I'd say that 85Hz LCD strobing looks about the same as 60Hz CRT. Maybe a bit worse.

120Hz CRT has absolutely zero flicker (not even the tiniest, slightest hint of flicker,) while I can still see flicker on 120Hz LCD strobing.

I can completely understand why many manufacturers don't allow 60Hz blur reduction. I still don't agree with it (it should be user choice, even if the option is hidden,) but I completely understand why they do it.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 07 Aug 2017, 18:08

Yes, monitor manufacturers needs to make it a choice (Even behind a "WARNING!" screen)

If I reduce brightness down (by 80%) via ultra-short pulse lengths, and sit further back -- 60Hz flicker isn't so bad in black-background games such as MAME. Ms. Pac Man doesn't hurt my eyes at 60Hz single-strobe. But a bright Windows desktop does.

Why is strobing harsher than CRT?
Strobe backlights can be harsher than CRT phosphor, due to
(1) square-wave pulsing instead of CRT decay, and
(2) all-at-once flashing rather than CRT scanning (*something* in your FOV is almost always illuminated)
That's why strobe backlights often ship at a higher refresh rate (120Hz+) for comfort.

Workarounds for improving comfort of 60Hz single-strobe
The workaround is certainly higher refresh rates, but you can make 60 Hz single-strobing more comfortable:
- Use less FOV; use a smaller monitor or move the monitor further back.
- Use much dimmer strobing (try ultra-short pulse lengths)
- And/or limit it to dark-background games (e.g. old-school arcade games).

Then it stops bothering my eyes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Eliminating Motion Blur (LightBoost, ULMB, etc)