Benq XL2411 - Can't get rid of ghosting

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
kaya33

Re: Benq XL2411 - Can't get rid of ghosting

Post by kaya33 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:06

I also have this monitor and have followed some of the steps mentioned, I am actually still having major issues with this monitor in regards to FPS gaming, more specifically high paced FPS like arena fps / overwatch, could anybody help me?

The first thing I tried was lighboost - using the toastyX cru method and changing my monitor ID then going into nvidia control panel 3d wizard I had lightboost enabled and admittedly it was an improvement, I felt like the motion blur was greatly reduced, more so than by having motion blur on and a variety of different contrast / brightness settings and AMA settings

recently I tried turning off lightboost and using the benq blur reduction + entering my monitors service menu and changing the settings there, I still couldn't get an acceptable ufo test, or a nice feeling ingame. I can't post any pictures but the ufo test is horrible, no matter what I do, it is physically painful to look at or try to see the alien or ufo clearly.. I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere but I have no clue

I think my problem is ghosting? I think I can fix the motion blur problem with either lightboost or a combination of benq blur reduction + strobe utility (i had to install xl2411z .inf) but the ghosting is still there, I mean I have had to pause the ufo test to be able to tell that the alien has 3 eyes and that there are 6 sections on the front of the ufo

yes there is a trail behind the ufo in the test

I used to have an xl2411z that broke, but out of the box i never had any issues like this, maybe the motion blur was worse but the 144hz was such an upgrade at the time I didnt notice, but there was no ghosting, not like this.

this xl2411 is actually replacing an acer gn246hl that i bought to replace the broken xl2411z, this xl2411 replacing the acer in an attempt to fix this ghosting issue, turns out it's exactly the same on this xl2411 as the acer but not the xl2411z

.. i feel like a big problem is focusing on my crosshair, at 1920 x 1080 on both fps i play the crosshair is really hard to look at and when moving quickly hard to keep track of .. it's hard to explain but the main reason i started googling for problems with this monitor and ending up here, i dont know why but playing at 1280 x 720 helps with the crosshair issue

any help would be amazing, this is driving me crazy

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Mar 2017, 20:23

If your firmware is V003 or higher, enable blur reduction, set "AMA" to "high" by overwriting the setting if it's already on high (Just moving the slider to off/premium or back to high, or just highlighting "high" and pressing "Back" on the OSD will work--either method is fine), this should reduce the amount of ghosting by a noticeable amount. Combine this with dropping the contrast from 50 (it should NEVER be higher than 50) to 40.

Make sure you set your strobe phase, strobe duty and brightness beforehand, as ANY change to brightness (Not contrast, but brightness), or ANY blur reduction setting change will instantly revert the AMA back to default and you will have to move the slider again.

If you're using Lightboost (this requires an Nvidia video card, with the "ACI27F8" Product ID spoof in ToastyX CRU workaround for 3d vision 2), you are already getting the lowest possible ghosting, but terrible contrast. Make sure the monitor is warmed up for 1 hour before activating Lightboost.

I recommend Benq Blur Reduction with a Vertical Total (VT) 1500 tweak (this requires the ToastyX Pixel Clock Patcher be installed) rather than Lightboost, because Lightboost uses the same accelerated scanout timing as BBR does in the VT 1497-1502 range (I've tested this pixel for pixel), and Lightboost destroys the image quality, at the benefit of 'per line overdrive'.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2017, 20:27

So you're getting problems with LightBoost on the newer XL2411 but not on the original XL2411Z?

Is your main problem strobe crosstalk (multiple copies of UFOs chasing the UFO)?

Does this happen with the LightBoost on the newer XL2411?

Also remember to warm up your LCD panel to room temperature, as cold LCD panels (especially in wintertime) can ghost more.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Mar 2017, 20:31

Kaya33, do you have access to a camera and can take a fullscreen "Pursuit Camera" test of the TestUFO/Alien invasion test, with blur reduction active? (Either Lightboost 3D mode, or Benq blur reduction, or both (For science!)).

(this will require Chrome if used at >105hz refresh rate).

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

kaya33

Post by kaya33 » 12 Mar 2017, 10:55

Falkentyne wrote:If your firmware is V003 or higher, enable blur reduction, set "AMA" to "high" by overwriting the setting if it's already on high (Just moving the slider to off/premium or back to high, or just highlighting "high" and pressing "Back" on the OSD will work--either method is fine), this should reduce the amount of ghosting by a noticeable amount. Combine this with dropping the contrast from 50 (it should NEVER be higher than 50) to 40.

Make sure you set your strobe phase, strobe duty and brightness beforehand, as ANY change to brightness (Not contrast, but brightness), or ANY blur reduction setting change will instantly revert the AMA back to default and you will have to move the slider again.

If you're using Lightboost (this requires an Nvidia video card, with the "ACI27F8" Product ID spoof in ToastyX CRU workaround for 3d vision 2), you are already getting the lowest possible ghosting, but terrible contrast. Make sure the monitor is warmed up for 1 hour before activating Lightboost.

I recommend Benq Blur Reduction with a Vertical Total (VT) 1500 tweak (this requires the ToastyX Pixel Clock Patcher be installed) rather than Lightboost, because Lightboost uses the same accelerated scanout timing as BBR does in the VT 1497-1502 range (I've tested this pixel for pixel), and Lightboost destroys the image quality, at the benefit of 'per line overdrive'.
thanks for the reply - my firmware is v005, I have just tried setting my contrast to 40, brightness to 35,turning blur reduction on, opening ufo test that was linked by chief, turning blur reduction on, then doing the ama slider thing - the ufo test still doesnt leave me happy. I will search really hard for my phone and try take some pics today with both modes on for science since you asked so nicely and you replied so quickly

also, this is all on this resolution - http://imgur.com/a/FvrWV (the screenshot is on native non vt tweaked res cause u cant view the edit tab on an active res)

In the strobe utility both sliders are all the way to the left - in the service menu I turned single strobe on

I didnt do a pixel patcher thing, do I need to?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:So you're getting problems with LightBoost on the newer XL2411 but not on the original XL2411Z?

Is your main problem strobe crosstalk (multiple copies of UFOs chasing the UFO)?

Does this happen with the LightBoost on the newer XL2411?

Also remember to warm up your LCD panel to room temperature, as cold LCD panels (especially in wintertime) can ghost more.
I never tried lightboost on my older xl2411Z, I never looked for anything to change it, I was so happy with it's performance. And right now if I use lightboost the motion blur is greatly reduced but I still feel like there is massive ghosting.

Im actually currently looking at the ufo test you linked with the settings provided by falk, and there is still slight ghosting, like a very faint double image, when I post pics it will be more clear

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 12 Mar 2017, 12:06

If you did NOT use the pixel clock patcher, your VT Tweak is not working! It is being ignored by the driver because the pixel clock is higher than 330.00 mhz. This is required to be used.

Also, please try using ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility instead of the NVCP. There have been issues and complaints with other users getting strange ghosting/dizziness/artifacts when using the NVCP to do VT tweaks, that vanished when they used ToastyX CRU.

So please try that.
And remember to use the pixel clock patcher (and restart after).

kaya33

Post by kaya33 » 12 Mar 2017, 12:58

Hmm ok, I will try what you said and report back.

Can I use a VT tweak for a lower res? 1280 x 720 ?

Do I need to use 120hz for this or is 144 ok?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Mar 2017, 15:31

Strobing looks much better at 120Hz than 144Hz.

Use 144Hz reduced interval (default) if not using blur reduction.
Use 120Hz with VT1350 if using Blur Reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!